Young Writers Society

The Hypno-Anti-Writer's Block (ha ha)

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:16 pm
Sam says...

How to beat writers block...

OK, I learned this technique from my mom. :D

When you go to bed, you know those couple minutes before you actually drift off that you feel warm and sleepy and are probably deep in thought? While you're in that state, just think once or twice, 'I can write. I am a GOOD writer.' It works, trust me. Once, while trying to pass a keyboarding test, I thought 'I'm the best typer in the class.' (sounds conceited, i know, but it works) the next day, i was...

This is actually a form of hypnosis, it's kind of hard to explain. There's three different parts of your brain that each work in a different way. One keeps track of what's happening to you in the presesnt. The other one stores the information for later, and the last keeps track of all your body functions. The first only keeps track of like 3 things at a time, like 'I smell chicken' or 'Math quiz on monday.' The other part of the brain will remember that, but it won't be readily available.

While you're deep in thought, like right before you go to sleep, the second part of your brain [the one that stores everything for later] is working, so if you tell yourself at that time, you will become that. :D

Sorry, it's mucho confusing to explain, but it works.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:32 pm
Emma says...

Okay, Im going to try that tonight!

Heehee!

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:38 am
Crysi says...

Reminds me of lucid dreaming (one way to enter it, anyway) where you tell yourself you will know you're dreaming. Or something like that.
Love and Light

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:50 am
Elelel says...

Must try that! But I have to know when I'm just about to sleep and remember to think of something then without re-waking myself .... harder than it sounds!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:25 am
Emma says...

I tried it! But it didnt work.... Stupid head! DO IT RIGHT! DO AS I TELL YOU! :D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:58 pm
Firestarter says...

I'm gonna try it some time, probably.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:52 am
AstrangedbeaR says...

wow that sounds pretty kewl, must try that tonight :)

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:18 pm
Sureal says...

Crysi: Yeup. That's MILD (where you visualise yourself becoming lucid or repeat a mantra such as 'I will know I'm dreaming').

Anyways, if you want to know an even better way to get this self hypnosis to work, you could always:

- Wake yourself up in the night (say, around 5:00am) with an alarm or whatever. Don't turn on any lights or anything. Go strait back to bed.
- Concentrate on something (eg. your breating). Pay attention to nothing else.
- When you feel your body vibrating/feel like you're falling/hear things/see things/feel things/whatever (don't worry, this is perfectly natural - it happens to you every night, but you're usually unconcious during it) start repeating yourself whatever you want (eg. I am a good writer). You see, you're body has fallen asleep, but your mind is still awake.

- Another upside of this, if that you can use this state ot enter a lucid dream
- In which it's even easier to use self hypnosis (because you have a direct link to your subconcious)

Obssessed with lucid dreaming? Who me? Nah...
Well... maybe just a little...
I wrote the above just for you.

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:55 am
ohhewwo says...

Wow that's pretty interesting. I'll have to try that some time.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:53 am
Yrael says...

I'll try that, I usually do something similar, but I do it to remember what must be done in the morning. Sure enough, the moment I wake up, what I thought about last night pops into my mind instantly.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already
tomorrow in Australia.
" ~ Charles Schultz

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:18 pm
darko.demark666 says...

When I go to bed, I can't fall asleep 'till 3-4 A.M. so I don't think it'll work, but nothing costs me if I try..
Dreams they come and go...ever shall be so...

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:32 pm
Krupp says...

I have insomnia.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:23 pm
Chloe(: says...

When you feel your body vibrating/feel like you're falling/hear things/see things/feel things/whatever (don't worry, this is perfectly natural - it happens to you every night, but you're usually unconcious during it) start repeating yourself whatever you want (eg. I am a good writer). You see, you're body has fallen asleep, but your mind is still awake.

That happened to me by accident once. I, umm, thought I fainted. But thanks, I'll try both. :wink:
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina