Young Writers Society

Being Nice

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:31 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

All too frequently, there's this HORRIBLE story or poem and we look at it and say, "No friggin' way."

Sometimes, we can just ignore it and let some other person have a chance at critiquing it, but not all the times we can do this. Say, someone asks you, "Can you critique my story?" And, as such, you are supposed to critique the story. No matter how awful it really is.

So then, the question is how can I be nice?

There's several techniques. I'll lay them out and do whatever you want!

Starting off...

1. Take a DEEP breath.

When you're debating and you feel offended, I will often suggest that you take a DEEP breath and count to ten slowly. Why? Because otherwise, you will hate yourself.

So what has a debating technique have to do with critiquing? Everything.

You see, as editors, we are supposed to look over a story/poem and analyze it. Then comes the hard part... we have to persuade someone why they should listen to us. Yes, we are arguing our point. Fun, huh?

We writers tend to write in the heat of the moment and too often, we write a critique like we write a story... or worse. So we end up with this passionate rant on how much the story sucks.

This is bad.

Instead, take a deep breath, notice how pretty it is outside, and only until you feel your pulse stop racing should you begin to write it. And, if you feel yourself get in the heat of the moment, STOP. Look around, walk the dog, do the dishes, anything to just cool you down. Critiquing is not worth that sort of high blood pressure.

2. Write a "fake" critique.

This is a technique that smaur employs... with amusing results. She writes two critiques. One is her notes, which is basically colorful rantings on how much a story sucks. Or something along those lines. Then she looks back on the notes and, from those notes, writes a nice critique.

Nobody has to see these notes. It's just between you and the story. This is nice because it gives you a place to vent without totally crushing the author's feelings. :D

3. Remember your roots...

Sometimes, what helps for me is I bring up a truly horrible story that I wrote when I was younger. It makes me laugh (or cringe) depending on how I'm feeling, but it also reminds me that I suck. And, to be honest, sometimes this can make you feel a little bit more sympathetic. Remember how you were once. And remember how you felt about your writing. Then swallow your pride and write.

Techniques for Writing Critiques

1. Think

Sometimes, something smells so badly of suckiness that it seems impossible to locate the problem. So! Think about it. Don't just say it sucks. Most likely, there's a reason why it sucks. And besides, if it's really that bad, then probably the writer has never heard why their writing sucks, just that it sucks. So analyze the story and try to find out the errors. Then help them.

2. Soften It

Now, Strunk and White will tell you how to say things in strong language. But sometimes, if you want to persuade someone, softer language is good. So instead of saying, "This needs to be fixed" you can easily say, "I think the character development might be nicer if you did this." It's less powerful, yes, but sometimes power can backfire on you.

3. Admit Your Faults

Remember: you are not perfect.

Wait... I'll say that again...

YOU ARE NOT PERFECT.

It's that important. I would say it again, but then I would probably annoy you to death. In any case, one way to really soften a critique is to say, "Hey, I've been there too and I wrote this one really sucky story that tried to use the same thing." And then, use YOUR story as an example instead of ripping up their story. It can make them feel better and all that fluffy stuff. Especially for us. We're pretty decent writers... for them to know that we've been through the same problems can mean A LOT to them.

4. Be Friendly!

Use slang and colloquialisms... it doesn't matter. At this time, you want to appear as if you're on their side and want to help them as much as you can. Why? Because you do want to help them. Otherwise, you wouldn't be part of an editing group, no?

In the end, critiquing is not about you but about the people who you help. Helping other people can be an intensely rewarding experience that will give you an opportunity to encourage and strengthen people's writing. So just calm down and have fun!
Last edited by Snoink on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:37 pm
valeriejcz says...

Thanks for posting this. I've seen to many negitive posts!
I'm a vegatarian...I eat Chocolate!!!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:43 pm
Firestarter says...

Great article Snoink, something which everyone on this site should take note of.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:45 pm
Cassandra says...

Snoink wrote:"Hey, I've been there too and I wrote this one really sucky story that tried to use the same thing."

Except then you'd, you know, be calling their story sucky as well. ;)

This is a really great article, though. It really made me think, especially your point of thinking about an awful story you wrote once (my goodness, there are so many of them!). Thanks for writing this, Snoink. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:40 am
Myth says...

I saved this on my computer, lately I've sucked at critiquing and I think I ranted once, or twice, but I do hope the writer actually does take time to go through their work. Sometimes you don't even get a reply and think "Was that story really worth it?"
.: ₪ :.

'...'

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:38 pm
Snoink says...

Cassandra wrote:
Snoink wrote:"Hey, I've been there too and I wrote this one really sucky story that tried to use the same thing."

Except then you'd, you know, be calling their story sucky as well. ;)

Well, if it sucks, then it sucks. But this way, you won't be rubbing it in their faces. ;)

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Reviews: 0
Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:50 am
Alicia K. Hudson says...

I agree. I too, have seen many negative posts, and I'm sort of new here.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:05 am
Emerson says...

YOU ARE NOT PERFECT.

Why do you have to pee in my Cheerios? I liked the thought of being perfect...

You're good at these tip things, Snoink ;-) You should make a book of them. I try to be as nice as possible with those that I think have wrote a real stinker. Sometimes, I think I'm too nice...do you have an article on being too nice?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:21 am
View Likes
backgroundbob says...

Having grown up (in a literary sense!) in a forum where crapness was trampled back into your face and used to hit you repeatedly until you blacked out, I can honestly say that harshness is the best treatment I ever received. Sure, it made me feel bad, but I recognised my work for exactly what it was; good things were praised and crap things were shoved in front of your eyes so you couldn't ignore them.

Too often I see a nice critique received with a "thanks, I'll use this" and then completely ignored as the person churns out the same mistakes in the same drivel as before. At least pointing out the flaws as harshly as possible gets their attention.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:48 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

People learn differently, lol. Some react better to harsh criticism, but others hate it. For instance, if you try to give me this really harsh critique which is designed to dig into my writing completely, then I just give up. Which is kind of sad, but whatever.

As a critiquer, you are also supposed to evaluate what type of person the writer is, juts by their work. Thorugh that, you can make assumptions and tweak your critique to be as helpful as you can be. :)

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:14 pm
Azula says...

Thank you so much for writing this! Especially recently, I have seen an increasing number of tactless reviews.
They, are not your MUFFINS!!!!!!!!!! - John Worthing/Ernest Moncrieff (The importance of being Ernest)

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:23 pm
LadyPurple says...

I'm not good at being mean unless they say something....
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:43 pm
Sins says...

I totally agree with you. 8)

What's the point being bitter and aggressive? That doesn't get you cookies.

Besides, writing "HAHAHA. This is really bad. Get a life," isn't going to make you popular.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:11 am
Jashael says...

This is really helpful. It's a reminder for me. =) Though I really never get highblood or stuff like that. I'm just like, "What?" Thanks for posting. =)
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

Reviews: 0
Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:01 pm
missalaineus says...

On the flipside of the hatemail critique is the kind lie. "It's great. Keep it up." I got a couple of those the other day on another site, and it hurt more than if the person had written a critique that tore my writing to bits. Not only could I see through the lie, but the lie was not helpful at all. Use this thread as a guide, people! ^^^ It's an excellent tool!
I'm the type of person that gives such good advise, people frame my quotes on a wall and don't follow them.

"We're just all nosy little busybodies."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi