z

Young Writers Society

Critiquing Critiques

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 am
Snoink says...

Sometimes, on YWS, you will see a critique that just makes your blood boil and you want to put said-critiquer's head into a blender and just turn it on full blast. So what many people do is write critiques of critiques on the same thread of the story or poem.

Don't do this.

First of all, it's rather rude, especially to the writer. Comments are supposed to help the writer improve, aren't they? Then what does responding to the previous comment do? Blow off steam? Help make the critiquer ashamed? Angry?

It doesn't really make sense. If you need to rant, do it privately. Or, if it's really bad, report it to a mod. We're the guys in green and there are quite a bit of us. We try to keep everything in order, but every once in a while, things do get out of hand, and your help is essential.

So... with that said, how can you fight bad critiques? Simple. Give the writers good ones. Look at some of the writing tips on how to produce good, helpful critiques, and follow through. The bad critiquer is only one opinion. Let's hope your opinion will out-weigh that one opinion.

Happy critiquing! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:53 am
Incandescence says...

Snoinkums--

I also think (as has been mentioned countless times) that it's silly to argue with people who critique your poem or when you have, as they say down here in the South, no dog in the fight. That's their opinion and they took the time to give it to us. Take it or leave it. What good is a critique if you can't exercize poetic judgement?

Thanks,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:08 am
Snoink says...

Incandescence wrote:I also think (as has been mentioned countless times) that it's silly to argue with people who critique your poem or when you have, as they say down here in the South, no dog in the fight. That's their opinion and they took the time to give it to us. Take it or leave it. What good is a critique if you can't exercize poetic judgement?

I'm a little more hesitant to say that, lol, mostly because that arguing, if done constructively, can help the writer immensely. Arguing doesn't have to be of anger, and by questioning the critiquer, asking for more insight, and debating certain issues of the work with him, it can actually help the writer edit the story or poem better than it could have been, without the critiquer's help. :)

Though you are right -- if it's only an insult, of course, then it is pointless and also should be avoided.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:49 am
View Likes
Sponson Light says...

Incandescence wrote:Snoinkums--

I also think (as has been mentioned countless times) that it's silly to argue with people who critique your poem or when you have, as they say down here in the South, no dog in the fight. That's their opinion and they took the time to give it to us. Take it or leave it. What good is a critique if you can't exercize poetic judgement?

Thanks,
Brad

Good point.
What good is posting your stuff if you cant take everything? Whether its true or not, or if you accept it or not.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:33 pm
Emerson says...

I liked this Snoink, nicely done. I've had problems with critiquing critiques before. But sometimes its just me putting in my opinion, and my opinion just happens to be the opposite of someone else, and I like to give my opinion on the subject; especially when I think the advice previously given isn't what I think is 'right'. Then I get accused of being rude!

I could see where 'rude' would come in, but it's my opinion all the same. So I'm trying harder not to critique others' critiques, and if its my opinion verses theres I try to write it as... 'this is my opinion' as possible rather than 'I don't agree with their opinion.'

All these articles about critiquing makes me wonder if I actually critique any good... :x
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:45 pm
smaur says...

Snoink wrote:I'm a little more hesitant to say that, lol, mostly because that arguing, if done constructively, can help the writer immensely. Arguing doesn't have to be of anger, and by questioning the critiquer, asking for more insight, and debating certain issues of the work with him, it can actually help the writer edit the story or poem better than it could have been, without the critiquer's help.

Agreed. I argue all the time with [s]Snoink[/s] critiquers, and it's not because I'm angry at them — it's because I'm trying to improve, and for whatever reason, I don't understand their explanations as fully as I could. I want to see their point of view so that I can then determine whether or not I feel they have a valid point. Arguing helps me do that. I think there's a fine line between arguing because you feel insulted or defensive about your writing and arguing because you WANT to improve your writing and are trying to find out how exactly to go about doing so.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:06 pm
Unrecompensed says...

If someone disagrees with a point another has made, they should say so. It's much better for the author to get two sides of a story.

And sometimes, a critique is just plain wrong. I'd rather be seen as rude than have the author believe the wrong things.

- Andy
Merry Jesus-was-born Day

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:32 pm
Emerson says...

If someone disagrees with a point another has made, they should say so. It's much better for the author to get two sides of a story.

I could see how you feel this, I also think its better for the author. But often times it starts problems if person A has critiqued and person B critiques, and also puts down some of what/the majority of what person A said. Person A feels insulted, and then fights back. Person B thinks he knows what he's talking about and also fights back.

It just causes problems, and if you really disagree with Person A's choice of critiquing the piece, don't say it directly, but give your own opinions and write it like you have never read person A's critique. (This goes along with when I said don't read the critiques before you've read the work.... it causes Bias.)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:37 pm
Snoink says...

Yeah, but you don't flame the critiquer for it... instead, you address the problem itself and say why it's good or bad. So, in effect, you critique it. :P

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:19 pm
ThisIsAUserName says...

This is quite helpful. x) Even nearly four years prior to its conception. Hooray for commenting on barely-alive posts!
-- James
In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire,
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the deathbed whereon it must expire,
Consumed by that which it was nourished by.
(Exerpt from Shakespearean Sonnet Number 73)

The words you speak become the house you live in.
— Hafiz