245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:19 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Hotel California

Brought to you by @JazzElectrobass and @Spearmint

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face

The song's refrain drifts into your head as you drive down the dark desert highway. There's a cool wind in your hair, and the warm smell of colitas rises up through the air. Up ahead in the distance, you see a shimmering light, a town ahead. Your head grows heavy and your sight grows dim and you know you have to stop for the night.

You see a lady in the doorway who smiles pleasantly at you, with a glimmer of something in her eyes. She wears jewelry that must have cost a fortune. You hear the mission bell somewhere. And you think to yourself while smiling, This could be heaven or this could be hell.

She lights a candle and leads the way to your room while the bellhop deals with your luggage. On your way you hear beautiful voices in the hall, and you are pretty sure they're singing Welcome to the Hotel California! Such a lovely place, such a lovely face. Plenty of room at the Hotel California. Anytime of year, we can find you here (you can find us here).

You don't bother to think about anything, you just want to sleep. You can hear the singing in your head still...

Livin' it up at the Hotel California. What a nice surprise, bring your alibis...

~~~

Welcome to the Hotel California in the glorious year of 1991! At first, it seems like a very pleasant hotel, but the longer you stay there the more you notice that there are a few things that are off... especially the bartender who.... is a ghost?! That maid right there, she's a demon?!
There are quite a few roles that you can play, but it boils down to three roles: You try to escape, you help those who wish to escape attempt to escape, or you do all you can to keep those who entered the hotel stay in the hotel.

Existing Characters:

Spoiler! :
  • (Claimed by @Spearmint) Tiffany Chanell - She's the one who greets you at the door and takes you to your room. She is often with guests when she's not greeting new ones. She's attracted to luxurious, expensive things like a butterfly to sweet syrup.
  • (Claimed by @JazzElectrobass) Captain Nemo - He is the ghostly bartender. He was in the military, although he doesn't say which branch he was in. He enjoys telling jokes and stories, as well as the occasional scaring of the guests. He also takes pride in being one of the few ghosts that have more skills at being well, ghostly.
  • (Claimed by @WeepingWisteria) The Nightman - He is a demon who can have multiples of himself. He guards every entrance and exit of the hotel. He loves his methods of disposing of people trying to escape. They're very creative.
  • (Claimed by @JazzElectrobass) Randy Meisner - Bassist in The Eagles
  • Don Felder - Guitarist in The Eagles
  • Don Henley - Percussionist in The Eagles
  • (Claimed by @Spearmint) Joe Walsh - Guitarist in The Eagles
  • Glenn Frey - Guitarist in The Eagles

Your character can be an angel, demon, human, or ghost. Their abilities are listed below:

Angels
  • Choose 2 abilities. Some examples of their abilities are:
    • Healing small wounds/making large wounds not as life-threatening
    • Singing to make those around them fall asleep
    • Flying (gets exhausted at about the same rate as swimming or jogging) (their wings are able to fold in and be invisible/hard to notice)
    • Or have your own idea approved by @JazzElectrobass or @Spearmint

Demons
  • Choose 2 abilities. Some examples of their abilities are:
    • Conjuring small items
    • Shapeshifting into other people (time limit of 30 min; first 15 min easy, last 15 min requires focus/energy)
    • Shapeshifting into animals (time limit of 30 min; first 15 min easy, last 15 min requires focus/energy)
    • Or have your own idea approved by @JazzElectrobass or @Spearmint

Humans
  • Basically regular humans
  • Can notice more things than angels, demons, or ghosts

Ghosts
  • Invisible, except to each other. They can use energy to become visible to the living, and normally retain their real form. Only the older ones can look monstrous.
  • Can manipulate objects like humans can (poltergeist, basically)
  • Can phase through walls
  • Can fly
  • Forever stuck in the hotel
  • Can be given a fate worse than death

Additionally, your character can be either a guest or a staff member. More information below:

Guests
  • Will receive a random helpful tool in their luggage from the bellhop

Staff
  • Can access secret staff passageways throughout the hotel

Character Template

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Pronouns:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Angel, Demon, Human, or Ghost?[/b]
[b]Abilities:[/b]
[b]Guest or Staff?[/b]
[b]Escaping, helping those trying to escape, or trying to keep people here?[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Background:[/b]
[b]Shipping:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

Cast

1. Tiffany Chanell (staff, human) - @Spearmint
2. Captain Nemo (staff, ghost) - @JazzElectrobass
3. Randy Meiser (guest, human) - @JazzElectrobass
4. Joe Walsh (guest, human) - @Spearmint
5. Katerina Niykee Zenobia (staff, demon) - @Ley
6. Mara Willows (guest, ghost) - @WeepingWisteria
7. The Nightman and Sharon Nightingale (staff, demon and human) - @WeepingWisteria
8. Sasha Jane Roland (guest, ghost) - @KateHardy
9. Selvira Maria Huerta (guest, human) - @KateHardy
10. Sandra Soulrender (staff, demon) - @KateHardy
11. Scarphae Halia Simopoulous (guest, angel) - @KateHardy
12. (angel) - @herbalhour
13. (demon) - @herbalhour
14. James Wilder (staff, ghost) - @RangerofIthilien
15. Camille Belatrove (guest, angel) - @RangerofIthilien
16. Victoria Anne Taylor (guest, ghost) - @Ley
17. Tien Darling (guest, angel) - @JazzElectrobass
18. Sloane Brown (guest, human) - @WeepingWisteria
19. Lysandra Evangeline Lumina (guest, angel) - @Ley

Collab pad: https://jazzelectrobass.writerfeedpad.com/18
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

Reviews: 3
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:36 pm
View Likes
JazzElectrobass says...

The Eagles, The Captain, and The Bar Assistant
Collab by @Spearmint, @RangerofIthilien, and @JazzElectrobass

"No, no, no." Randy said. "The first thing that guests are going to see is all the bling she's wearing. They're going to be blinded before they see anything else Glenn."

The band members were in the lobby, in their own little section that they had arranged for themselves. Don Henley was lying on one couch, Glenn and Don Felder shared another, Joe sat at another couch, and Randy was lying on the back/headrest of Joe's couch with incredible balance. They were surrounded by the floating orbs that are always around the hotel, floating aimlessly. Although, they were attracted to music for some reason.

Glenn tapped a pencil on his chin thoughtfully. "Fine, fair enough." He scribbled down, "Guests greeted by a woman that is blinding" on a pad of paper.

"So, first impression of Hotel California is of Tiffany. She leads every guest to their room." Joe took a swig of water. Randy nodded.

Don Henley grabbed the pad and wrote, "She leads them to their room that's just down the hall". Don Felder hummed a few notes, testing out some melodies.

"So tired and ignorant that they don't know what they're in." Randy sang.

"Well, that's an understatement, considering we've been trapped for... going on fifteen years now? Twenty? A hundred?" Joe muttered.

"That is an exaggeration." The percussionist snorted. "It's only been like half a year. Maybe three-fourths."

"Feels like longer. Playing in the same courtyard gets old after a while."

"Well, we have been playing the same songs over and over." Randy replied. "Hey! This is perfect to put in the song! People getting tired of us or something. I still haven't gotten the tomato out of that other shirt."

Don F. winced. "Some of those guests have deadly aim."

"At least they haven't started throwing bricks." Don H. replied, his words muffled from the pencil in his mouth as he wrote with a different one.

"Or shards of those mirrors from the ceiling." Joe hummed. "We should add details from the hotel. The mirrors, the sky patterns on the other ceilings."

Don H. scribbled them down.

"Don't forget the part of us being trapped here. Like y'know, 'We're all out here, trapped in a hotel'." Randy sung. "And end it at that yeah? I'd like to get myself a drink."

"I second that." Don H. set down the half-finished lyrics.

"I third that." Glenn said, getting off the couch.

Joe didn't even make a statement of affirmation; he simply got up and walked towards the bar, calling for the Captain.

"What can I get you boys today?" The Captain asked, cleaning the counter. Lights gleamed above the bar. Outside the windows, evening was falling, casting a dusky veil over the surrounding desert. One of the glowing orbs that floated around in the hotel passed by, drifting aimlessly through the lobby.

"What's James' newest cocktail?" Don H. asked.

"He's calling it the iceberg."

"The iceberg... Interesting. Hey, write that down," Glenn said. "Like how icebergs are more than what you see." Joe walked back to the pad of paper and scribbled down a line.

"Is that what you all want?"

"We're tired of our usuals Captain. We're being bold and encouraging James to continue his passion of creating new drinks." Randy responded. The Captain simply just nodded and started pouring drinks.

"Tell me about what you're working on that is now involving icebergs."

"A song, of course. About this hotel." Joe re-joined the group.

"Do tell me about it." Captain Nemo paused. "Or well, sing it."

"Guests greeted by a woman that is blinding," sang Glenn. "She leads them to their room that's just down the hall."

"So tired and ignorant, they don't know what they're in!" Randy added.

"All of these people with their baggage and stories." Don F sang. "'This must be safe cuz we see smiling faces."

Joe continued, "We got to tell them it's simply just a ruse!"

"Too many mirrors over the ceiling!" Don H roared.

"Too many chances to fall through the sky," warbled Glenn.

"There's more than just the tip of the iceberg," Joe sang. "And the band played on."

The singing stopped, and the Captain started clapping. "Very good."

The Eagles took a bow. The Captain, with a smile, pushed their drinks forward. "All yours."

James popped his head around the corner, blond hair ruffled and a wide grin on his ghostly face. "Did I hear some excellent singing by my favorite band themselves?"

"You did indeed!" Joe swirled his drink in its glass, then tried it. Glenn said the same thing at the exact same time in the same tone, and laughed.

"That would be us!" Randy raised his glass and tried it as well. Don F. took a sip silently.

Captain Nemo waved at James. "Hey kid!"

James happily waved back at the Captain before practically bounding over to the counter. "Hey Cap!" He then turned to the Eagles again, noticing their drinks. "What did you guys order this time?"

"Your latest cocktail." The Captain chuckled.

Joe made a thoughtful face. "Speaking of the cocktail, my verdict is..." He drew the word out for suspense, then broke into a grin. "It's excellent. We'll honor it in our song."

James beamed at that. "Really!? You guys are awesome! Truly an honor to have one of my creations mentioned in your songs!"

Don H. smiled, then sang, "There's more than just the tip of the iceberg." He thought for a moment. "Later, we could do a callback to that. 'The looming iceberg, about to go sink us.'" Glenn nodded.

"I love that idea!" James replied, nodding happily, "it explains the drink well too since it's got some aftertastes that you can't really taste at first and it's pretty strong."

"Your drink may get the spotlight in this one, but we'll make sure you both get one in a future song." Don F. chuckled.

James chuckled, smiling. "You guys are the best, I'm honored."

Joe set his drink on the counter, then executed a fancy bow, twirling his arm in a circle and all. "Make sure to come to our concert this evening! We'll be gracing the dining room with live music."

"You know I'll be there!" James grinned, "I might be running drinks to tables while watching though."

"If they're doing a song about you slim, I'll take over." The Captain smiled.

"Thanks! Let me know if you need help though and I'll come help you out." James beamed back.

"I'll be fine slim." He winked.

James chuckled a bit, grabbing a cloth from nearby to clean a spot on the counter, "if you say so, Cap."

"I do say so." Captain Nemo hummed, cleaning a glass.

"Alrighty then." He finished cleaning the spot and set the towel on his shoulder before moving on to tidying something else.

Across the lobby, the main doors of the hotel opened with a swish as someone pulled them open. The Eagles glanced over.

As if summoned by the sound of the doors, Tiffany glided into the lobby, diamonds glittering at her neck and around her wrists. Her smile was nearly as blinding as the jewels. She nodded at Captain Nemo, James, and the Eagles, then focused on whoever had just entered. Tiffany picked up a candle from the receptionist's desk and greeted the newcomer.

"Welcome to the Hotel California!" she singsonged.

"It's such a lovely place." Randy muttered.

"Such a lovely face." Don H. added. The Captain watched a floating orb that did a loop-de-loop.

And so began yet another evening at the timeless Hotel California.
I am the Timekeeper, Quote Hunter, and Grave Visitor

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon." — Paul Brandt

Jazz Elektrobass

Reviews: 3
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm
View Likes
JazzElectrobass says...

Tien Darling

She didn't know how long she'd been driving. She did know that while her vision had been blurry with tears she had nearly crashed 3 times. She couldn't believe it. Halfway on a trip to all the states and he just dumps her?! She squinted, looking up ahead. Were those lights? Finally, a town. She'd probably just drive through it.

But as she got closer, she felt more tired. When she thought she'd nod off, she noticed a hotel. It was beautiful. It had arches across the front, and the building was mostly a sandy gold with red decor. There were lamps on the wall that seemed so bright. They definitely weren't using candles, but they didn't seem like light bulbs either. This would be a good place to stay. It seemed like a nice hotel, as it gave her the homey vibes. It looked a little expensive, but it would be fine. Besides, she deserved a little something after what she just went through, didn't she? She parked her car, and walked up to the door, where a woman waited holding a candle.

"Welcome to the Hotel California! I'm Tiffany." She purred with a wide smile. Wow. She wore very expensive things. Tien didn't know much about luxury brands, but she was pretty sure she could recognize something expensive when she could see it.

"Hi." She muttered, but that didn't dim the woman's glow-y attitude.

"That car you're driving is lovely. I've always had a liking for convertibles. But anyways, please, follow me." She started to walk. How could she walk in those high heels? "You can leave your luggage in the lobby in the square, our bellhop will take it to your room for you. As for you darling, just go to the front desk and sign in."

Tien nodded and walked up to the front desk. There was a bored young lady at the desk.

"Checking in?" The woman asked, not looking up. Tien managed to nod. Was that a gash across the woman's forehead? She must be imagining things from sleep deprivation. "Please read through this packet and then sign at the bottom of the last page and you're good to go."

Tien started reading, but she was more focused on how tired she was rather than the words. She just flipped through the pages, and signed at the bottom.

"Glad to have you here. It sure is nice to have more company." She drawled with a sly smile as Tien gave her the packet back. Tien was already walking back to where the woman with the candle waited for her. She noticed two bartenders and a group of guys that sat at the bar. It would be best to be wary of that group. And were those orbs floating around? Surely those were really spots on her eyes. Tiffany talked the entire time as she led Tien to her room. Tien didn't bother to listen, Tiffany turning into Charlie Brown's teacher for the rest of the way. Once in her room, she just crawled into the white bed and fell asleep.
I am the Timekeeper, Quote Hunter, and Grave Visitor

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon." — Paul Brandt

Jazz Elektrobass

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 pm
View Likes
Ley says...

Katerina Niykee Zenobia

-Front Desk of Hotel California-

hotel california1.jpg

Katerina adjusted her robe, pulling it tighter around her fit body. Today, they were expecting a lot of new residents, and she says 'residents' because that's what they'll become once Sharon manipulates them into signing a soul-contract. Well, either way, they'd be here for a while. She folded up some pieces of papers and threw them into the trash, not needing them anymore.

The first person that checked in was a beautiful young woman, but the smell of angel radiated right off of her. Rina did her best to flash a quick smile, but was sure it came off as fake. She didn't really care, in all honesty. After assigning the girl, Tien, she leaned back in her rolly chair and leaned her head backwards to meet her wife's gaze.

"What? What are you looking at?" She smirked.

"The five star views." Sharon sipped her glass, her eyes never straying from Katerina's.

"Oh, stop it," Rina almost blushed, but instead reached for Sharon's wine glass, "Lemme have one little sip. It's going to be a long day."

Sharon passed over the glass. "Wouldn't want you to be suffering."

Katerina downed the whole glass, ahhing once it was empty. She furrowed her eyebrows and held the glass up to the light, studying it, "Huh. That's strange. It just dissapeared."

Sharon hummed. "Yes, that is strange. I heard when that happens, your money teleports to the bar and the Captain brings you another glass. Shall we test it?"

"Captain!" Katerina waved the empty glass in the air, "Hotel California, such a lovely place!" She sang, a hint of sarcasm in her voice, " Such a lovely place! Welcome to Hotel California!"

There was snickering from the bar where the band of guests were, but the Captain walked to the desk where they sat.

"Hello!" Katerina actually liked the Captain, despite is flamoyant exterior. She admired him, but not for the reasons you'd think. She appreciated his attention to detail, and his love for music. Rina would never show it, but she actually enjoyed modern songs, "Do you have anymore Chardonnay by any chance? This glass just magically became empty."

"Of course." He grinned, and pulled up a bottle of Chardonnay, which had been in his hand.

"Thanks, Captain. Have any new guests visited your bar yet? Any thoughts so far?"

"None yet, but they'll eventually come around." He replied, filling the glass to near complete fullness.

Katerina grinned and lightly elbowed Sharon, who was standing behind her, "Of course they will. With your expertise and delightful creations, they'll be bound to visit you first thing in the morning," she watched with happiness as the glass became full again, "and thanks again."

"Thank you, Captain." Sharon gave him a very professional smile, that still seemed to belong to a shark.

"Thank James for the unique creations." He smiled back, a genuine one as he was unfazed before returning to his bar.

"I'll be sure to," Katerina replied, before taking a light sip of the wine and handing it back to her wife, "here. A gift from me to you."

"Repayment. For your crimes. Back in the day, I would give you a full day in court for that." She took a deep drink of the win.

"Well put me in handcuffs--"

"Hello!" a light airy voice seemed to anillihate the air before them. Rina made a face, as she hated being inturrupted. She made a face and swung her chair around, making eye contact with a brown-skinned woman, with long curly hair and dark brown eyes. She seemed a little too happy, "My name is Lysandra Lumina."

Tiffany immediately appeared, signature candle in hand and sapphires added to her wrists now. "Welcome to the Hotel California, Lysandra!" She beamed. "Rina here can find you a room, and I'll make sure you don't get lost on the way there."

Katerina rolled her eyes. She actually wished she did get lost. This place was getting too crowded by the minute. Tiffany was her boss, though, so she held that fake smile until her lip quivered, "Room 1305."

"Is that the thirteenth floor, miss?" Lysandra asked, anxiously tapping her finger on the desk, "Could I request another floor, please?"

Katerina huffed and glanced back at Sharon, as if to say over my dead body, but quickly fixed her face, "Unfortunately, that's the only room cleaned and available right now."

"Oh," Lysandra glanced at the floor, "Oh, okay. I'll take it then."

"Sounds good! I just need you to sign here," Lysandra reached behind her, gesturing for Sharon to hand her a contract.

Sharon's grin widened, looking more shark than professional. She passed over a bundle of papers, fastened together neatly with a single stapler in the corner. "We're a historical site, so we need some confirmation." She put down the paper and a red pen.

Lyandra flipped through the papers, but hesitated before she signed, "This seems like a lot of paperwork for just a nights stay. I plan to get out of here by tomorrow morning."

"Of course!" Katerina said flamboyantly and a little too loud, "This is just precaution, as any damages done to the room will be on your tab. Like my colleague mentioned, this is a historical site. We cannot take any chances. If you have any doubts though, I'm sure Sharon will be happy to sit down with you and go over the contents."

"My office hours are eleven pm to three am."

"That won't be necessary," Lysandra grabbed the pen and awkwardly signed on the last page, "Done."

"Great! Here are your keys. Tiffany will show you to your room."

"Hello! Hello! Who is this lovely lady that's going to be joining us?" Sandra was barelling down the hallway before she skidded to a stop.

She offered her hand, smiling sweetly. "I'm Sandra!! But you can call me whateverrr. Not whatever as in the word but like any nickname you wantt."

Lysandra smiled wide at Sandra, who's always one of the first people to greet others as soon as they checked into the hotel. Sandra was a fellow demon, and even though she had different outlooks on life than Katerina, Katerina still respected her. For the most part.

The Egyptian Angel responded, "Hi! I'm Lysandra. Thank you for such a warm welcome!"

Tiffany flashed a brilliant smile. "You'll get plenty of warm welcomes around here. But you're probably tired from your journey, huh? Follow me to your room!" She led Lyandra down the hallway leading to the elevators.

"They're living it up at the Hotel California, what a nice surprise, bring your alibis!" Randy sung at Katerina with Don H as they went to their little area in the lounge.

Katerina bobbed her head to Randy's voice and took another sip of her wine which was given back to her by Sharon. She sighed, "Two angels, Shar. Two."

"Look at it this way. All of the doves are being shot from the sky. And ending up on our plate."

"Yeah, but I swear, if they radiate peace and hapiness and... joy, I'm going to kill one of them. Not literally. But you get the point," Katerina grumbled.

"I get the point." Sharon rubbed her shoulders. "If they cause trouble, I can give them wing lice."

"That sounds... extravagant and delightful. Thanks, hun," she nudged her head into Sharon's hands, before another person walked through the doors. She was demon, thank goodness, but she looked rather strange. This one was dressed in skimpy clothing, and looked a lot more... rockstar-ish? Katerina wasn't sure what to make of this new person. Not only that, but she had a stride to her that Rina actually found somewhat offensive. How dare she walk in like she owned the place?

"Greetings children!"

Sharon grimaced. "Oh dear," she mumbled, setting the glass in front of Katerina.

Did she just hear that correctly? Did this woman just call them all Children? Katerina almost choked on her own spit. Sharon nudged the glass closer to her hand. She took a deep breath and automatically marked this woman mentally.

She smiled innocently, a sharp yet dangerous look glinted in her eyes, and she cleared her throat, "Word of advice. Don't say that ever again. To me, at least. What is your name?" Her voice was calming yet had a sarcastic hint to it.

She looked concerned. "Ohh? My apologies. Was your childhood rough?"

Katerina almost gagged. Again.

She stood in her chair, but slowly reversed when she heard Tiffany walk from the hallway.

Tiffany strode into the lobby again, smile on her face as usual. "Welcome to the Hotel California!" Now she sported a new pair of earrings, dangly gold ones with sapphire gems.

If Tiffany wasn't here, It would've gotten bad. She sighed heavily and grinned even wider, "Yes! There's a bingo hall right to your left. I think you'd enjoy it, just as much as our elderly guests!"

Tiffany raised an eyebrow at Katerina, then turned back to the new person. "My name is Tiffany, and your stay here is sure to be delightful. Along with bingo, we have entertainment options like live music, dancing in the courtyard, and various other activities."

"Oh, I'm not sure her hearing aid works correctly, or I'm sure she'd enjoy the live music. As when she walked in, she implied that everyone here is a child. Dementia, maybe?" Katerina winked at the woman, but focused back on the paperwork infront of her.

She giggled. "Aww aren't you sweet?" She reached over and booped Katerina's nose. "But I don't have dementia honey. Thirty four thousand and we're going strong." She did a little twirl.

Sharon cleared her throat getting in front of Katerina, and keeping one hand on her thigh. "Our fifteen minute break just started. So, unfortunately, you will have to wait in the waiting room until another staff member can assisst you. Please don't leave the desginated area." Sharon took Katerina's hand and started walking away.

"Aww rest up you little bumpkins. We all need it. I'll see you around! Thank you for the lovely greeting!"

Katerina immediately knocked over two empty wine bottles that were positioned in the break room. Her skin was pulsating.

"I'm not giving her a room. Nope. Not that one. I'd rather commit treason than spend eternity with that... thing," Katerina paced the room.

"Unfortunately, stepping into the hotel room has entered all of us into a temporary contract. I hope she doesn't step further into the hotel, otherwise we are obligated to give her a room, but we are at the point where we cannot tell her to leave. She would have to do so on her own. Without leaving the entrance."

"She can sleep on the couches in the lounge for all I care," Katerina mumbled, taking a deep breath, "For the love of Lucifer, keep that hell-spawn away from me."

"There's always the boiler room closet. I can infest it with cicadas again."

"No, no. This one deserves fire ants."

"Fire ants then. Maybe... hair spiders?"

"Lice!" Katerina claps, "Lice in her bedsheets!"

"Hmm. No. Bedbugs are for the sheets."

"Fine," Katerina shrugged and leaned against the wall, "Please. Go assist her. I can't, or I'll throw a suitcase at her. I'll come, but I'm not speaking to that thing."

Sharon smiled, pressing a chaste kiss to her cheek. "Boiler room closet or room 1313?"

Room 1313 was the forbidden room, and Katerina had never sent anyone there before. But this seemed just like the perfect occasion, "1313."

"I'll take care of it." She winked and walked out. Rina followed, but kept her distance, acting busy by the printer.

"Thank you for waiting! I can check you in now."

"Awww that would be lovely!"

"Your room will be 1313. Please sign this contract." Sharon grinned and passed over the contract. "It's to protect our hotel.'

"Oooooh. Contracts!" She smlled at it happily. "Ahh the smell of a fresh contract! How delightful! Let me just read through it!" She counted the pages. "I'll be back in four hours!"

She walked off to read it.

"Ma'am! I appreciate your tenacity, but I'm availble to assisst looking through your contract."

"Aww that's adorable! I've been reading contracts since your parents were in diapers. I think I can handle it."

"I understand, but it's a lot to digest, and it can be much faster if you allow me to help. I have a degree."

"Honey you try reading the sixty four thousand ways to thank your second cousin in pig latin."

"Oh, I read that. It was a little dry for my tastes, but the pig latin made it more exciting."

"Ooooh. What did you think of method six hundred and eighty one? The twist! Ahh! Delightful."

"Fairly predctable based on the prequel: Sixty Four Thousand Ways to Antagonize your Second Cousin in binary, but it was a classc, so I couldn't be mad."

Katerina cleared her throat.

"As I was saying, ma'am. I am perfectly capable of helping you."

"And I don't need it. You two can go back to being all cute together. Don't mind me!"

"Ma'am, we would like this process to be faster than four hours."

"Why?"

"Deadlines, customer satisfication, our target goals, maximizing profits, not losing tracks of whose room is where, just to name a few."

"Hmm well do tell. Maybe I can present a solution. I mean. Let's break that down here. Deadlines? How is me taking longer to check in affecting your deadline? Or customer satisfaction? Reading this would make me satisfied, so not doing it would be quite the opposite. You target goals. I need more information. Maximizing profits? I'm still paying for the night whether its four hours from now or right now. And how would you lose track of people's rooms because I need a moment to read?"

"Ma'am, you're looking at this thorugh a lense of you being the only guest of the hotel. We have an estimated three more arrivals coming any moment now.. Which means, that my attention will thus be divided between you and any questions you have, and the new arrivals, their contracts, and any questions they have. We are under strict guidelines that guests must be checked in as quickly as possible to avoid such complications, hence the deadlines. We can face a write-up if our boss deems we let someone stay unchecked out for too long. It's not so much your satisifcation as someone else's, as many people may be annoyed waiting for me to answer your questions. As for target goals, our boss is pushing us to get people checked in faster this quarter, and four hours will not cut it. And as for maximizing profits, getting the most people checked in in the least amount of time is more profit for less labor."

"I can save all my questions for the end, so that you don't have to divide your attention at all. That seems like guidelines designed to increase customer satisfaction by reducing wait times, but I'll play ball. If you really must I will contact your manager and explain this special scenario. Your boss will let you off the hook I'm quite sure..."

"Ma'am, if I may! We are strictly prohibited from letting any guests contact our manager or the general manager of the hotel. So no, you cannot contact any higher-ups. You will have to just allow me to follow protocol to the best of my ability."

"You could always find a different hotel, so you don't even need to go through all the trouble," Katerina said, shrugging and filing paperwork. Tiffany popped her head around the corner and stepped into view.

"Hello! Welcome to Hotel California! Have you got your paperwork all signed? The rooms are filling up fast!"

"Oh, are they?" Sharon lifted up the sheet. "So they are. You're at risk of not having a room at all tonight if you take the full four hours. We can only hold a room for an hour."

"That is correct!" Tiffany placed her expensive hands together.

"Oh I love sleeping on the floor. Count me in!"

"That's against hotel policy. Anyone who does not have a room by the end of the night is not allowed to stay."

"Can I take this with me if I leave?"

"No, that's against hotel policy. But if you want to review it after checking in, you can visit me during my office hours from eleven pm to three am, so you can get the whole copy of the contract and my guidance."

"Then what would be the point of reviewing it? Its already signed."

"To ensure you understand your duties."

"So I have to blindly sign this or leave?"

"As I said, you can ask me for a summary." Sharon's grin somehow never faltered. "Your other options are signing it and asking for a full walkthrough later, or leaving the establishment and the contract behind."

"I'll be back once I've settled my affairs to account for a long absence. See you tomorrow."

Sharon hummed. "Of course. Though, I must ask. Did you leave the waiting room?"

"No? Why?"

Sharon hummed. "Just ensuring you haven't used any of the amenties that are set aside only for guests and staff. But also, do you want to risk not having a room for the night tomorrow? Our bookings fill up fast."

"Oh I don't mind." She giggled. "I'm not exactly here on holiday. If it gets delayed a little more, so be it!"

"As you wish, ma'am." Sharon took the contract, effectively severing her tie to the hotel. "I hope you return soon. It's always a pleasure to serve another guest."

Katerina let out a sigh of relief. Well, that was that. She smiled at the woman and nodded her head sarcastically, "And remember! It's such a lovely place!"

"And I was thinking to myself 'this could be heaven or this could be hell'." Randy and Don H. sang, carrying 7 glasses back to Captain Nemo's bar.

"See you all soon!!"

Katerina clapped lightly as the woman exited the bar, "Nicely played."

Sharon sighed, her professional attitude melting away.

"Did you two just scare away another customer?" Tiffany was still standing there, observing.

"Tiffany, as much as I appreciate the perfomance review, I think you were there long enough to see that I did absolutely everything in my power to get her to stay." Sharon took a deep breath. "The downside of contracts. There's always one genius who reads them.

"I wasn't talking about you, I guess, more so about your partner in crime," Tiffany raised an eyebrow, "Katerina. No matter how you feel, you hide it."

"Of course," Rina bowed with flair, "Will do."

"Good," Tiffany perked up and moved to the bar area.

Rina downed the rest of the wine in her glass and pushed it towards Sharon, "Another one?"

"Please. Several others."
“Look at that moon. Potato weather for sure.”
Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Ley
She/Her
Potato Enthusiast

4105 Reviews

Reviews: 4105
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Selvira Maria Huerta

in collaboration with @WeepingWisteria, @Ley, @Spearmint and @JazzElectrobass

Selvira beamed at the sight of the hotel. Ahh this was going to be such an exciting week. Or maybe longer if she got all trapped. She skipped her way to the front door.

Another girl was by the front door, looking at the address numbers and then back at a piece of paper. Her mouth was twisted in a frown. She looked like an actress from a black and white film, except her hair was too big.

"Ooh hello! Are you staying here too?"

The girl squeaked and turned around. "Oh, hi! Um, I think so...? This is the address I was given. But it doesn't look like how my friends described."

"Ohh that's a little strange."

She shrugged. "Maybe she heard wrong! Did you see a payphone around?"

"Hmm. I wasn't looking for one but I'm sure there's one around here."

"Oh, thanks anyway." She frowned as she kept looking between the address and the paper.

"I can help?"

"Oh would you? That's very sweet"

"Of coursee!"

"I'm Sloane!" She held out her hand.

"Selvira!" She took her hand and happily shook it.

Sloane grinned. "I'm happy to have met a new friend!"

"I'm thrilled! She promptly hugged her.

Sloane squeaked and hugged her right back. She pulled away grinning.

"Shall we go look then?"

"Yes!"

"Yayyy!"

"Follow me o' brave adventurer for we shall find a payphone today!"

"Woo!"

Selvira started to look around. "Maybe there's one inside?"

"Hmm could be!"

"Should we go in and ask?"

"We should!"

Sloane grinned and rolled her suitcase inside, holding the door open for her.

"Awww thank youu!"

"Of course!"

"You're so nicee!"

"You're nicer!" Sloane grinned before going up the front desk.

"Aww that's sweet!"

"Hello! I'm wondering if you have a payphone."

"We do!" the dark haired woman at reception pointed to an old, worn out payphone drilled to the wall across from them, "It's fifty cents."

"Thank you so much!" She went to the payphone and inserted two quarters. She picked up the receiver.

"WELCOME TO THE HOTEL CALIFORNIA"

Sloane shrieked and slammed the receiver down. She rubbed her ears. "I... I think it's broken..."

The receptionist shrugged, not once looking at them, "Possibly."

"Is there a different one...?"

"Nope."

"Oh. Is here a reservation for Heather Lee?"

The woman sighed as if agitated and sipped some... was that wine?

"Um, unfortunately, I don't see a reservation for that name. Could it possibly be under another name?"

"O-Oh. There's also Jennifer Castro. Rachel Baker. Or Amanda Willson."

The receptionist did some flipping through paperwork and shrugged, "Sorry. No reservations under any of those names. But, we do have rooms available, either way!"

"How about Sloane Brown?"

The lady glanced up at her, furrowing her eyebrows, before turning back to the list in her hands, "No. Sorry."

"Do you only take walk-ins? Are your walk-in rates better?"

"They're the same. We don't change rates."

Sloane furrowed her eyebrows. "Maybe she just needed some more cash and decided to wait. Okay. Okay. Uh, what's the rate per night?"

"Lucky for you," the woman placed the list down on the desk, "We're having a special. Five dollars a night for two nights."

"O-Oh! That sounds great! I'll stay for two nights then." She fished out ten dollars and handed it over.

"Thank you!" The woman placed it in an envelope, "I will need you to sign some paperwork and then Tiffany will take you to your room."

"Can I wait for my friend before going up? And can we be roomed close together?"

"You could be roomed together, if you'd like, but it'd be double the rate."

"Oh! I can ask!" She turned around. "Selvira! Want to room together?"

"Yess! That would be so cool!!"

"Then together please!" She fished out another ten dollar bill and handed it over.

The woman placed that in the same evevolpe, while another woman behind her handed over two contracts. "Here. You both sign one."

Sloane grinned and signed her contract.

The woman seemed to grin with her, and snatched the signed contract away promptly.

"Ooh is this the one that traps us forever at the hotelll?"

Sloane blinked and turned around. "What?"

"Its okayyy. Don't worry about itt!"

"Are we getting trapped here forever?"

"Only if you want to! Hotel California will make you want to stay forever!" The woman smiled, playing along.

Sloane nodded nervously. "Okay...?"

"Its really cooll! Trust me! I mean its all evil of course, but that's part of the fun, right?"

"Evil doesn't sound very fun...

A different woman wearing an expensive-looking dress and jewels swooped into the room. "Well, actually, evil is an anagram of live, and you'll all want to live here! So evil isn't vile in this case." She beamed at them cheerfully. "I'm Tiffany. Once you sign the contract, you'll have access to all the wonders of Hotel California, including live music and... ooh, it's around dinnertime, huh? Well, our chef in residence makes amazing scalloped potatoes." She looked absolutely elated.

"Oooh, I like scalloped potatoes." Sloane thought about it. "Okay! I'm sure it's fine!"

The receptionist pushed the second contract closer to Selvira. "Selvira? You going to sign?"

"OF courseee! I love signing my soul away." She giggles. "You are a demon right?"

"Me?" The receptionist looked astonished.

"Yess!" She pulled out a polaroid camera. "Can we take a picturee? I'll hold the signed contract and you like...do something that makes it seem like you're stealing my soul!"

The woman glanced behind her at her counterpart and then turned back to the girl, "Um. For tourism matters, I would. But unfortunately, I don't know what you're talking about, and no pictures are allowed inside the building in respect for it being a historical site."

"Not to mention the privacy of the other guests and the confidential parts of the contract."

She huffed. "Why you guys gotta be so strung up? A picture never killed anyone."

"Sorry about that," The receptionist murmured.

"We don't make the rules."

"Lame."

Sloane frowned. "That's not very nice."

"Hmm?"

"They're not lame just because they're following the rules. Following the rules is the best policy!"

"Oh. I'm sorry then. I just really wanted that picture."

"It's okay to want things, but sometimes we can't always get what we want, and that's okay too! I'm sure you'll find something way cooler than a picture."

"That's very wise of you!"

"My dad taught me that! When I asked to play outside as a kid."

She hugged Sloane again. She squeaked.

Tiffany cleared her throat "Your room, ladies?"

"What about them?"

"It's ready."

"Ooooh okayy."

"This way."

"Thank you very much!"

"Of course!" Tiffany led them to an elevator and pressed a button. Selvira followed excitedly. Sloane was right behind her.

"Alright ladies, this way." She kept walking. Selvira practically skipped along.

Tiffany stopped in front of a room. "Here you go." She handed them both room keys. "I hope you enjoy your stay, and never want to leave!" She walked away.

Sloane cleared her throat, looking down. "I've never shared a room with someone before."

"Oooohh don't worry! Its funn!"

"Okay!" Sloane held her suitcase closer.

"Sorryy. It'll be okay. I promise. Don't be scared."

"I'm not scared at all. I have my friend." She grinned.

"Awww!" She promptly hugged her again.

Sloane giggled and hugged her.

"So soft!"

"You areee. Especially your hair. I can never get mine that soft. I'm so jealous."

She giggled. "I will teach you my secrets!"

"Really? I'm excited!"

"Yes really!!"

"We should unpack."

"Okayy!"

Sloane unlocked the room and stepped inside. [s]She then did not bother to unpack, but jumped on the bed like a monkey. Selvira put on a banana costume and performed the floss. They filmed eight TikToks together and then snacked on TidePods. The bellhop could be seen in the background juggling wine bottles. He kept dropping them and picking them up back up like nothing happened. Pretty soon Selvira was a sentient banana. Sloane fainted in amazement. The end. The TikToks went viral. The #bananaCaliforniafloss became the newest trend bringing in many more victims to the hotel.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

I’ll paraphrase Thoreau here... Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness, give me truth.
— Christopher Johnson McCandless