z

Young Writers Society

Would a character smoking in a novel bother you?

Would a character smoking in a novel bother you?

Yes
9%
No
69%
Doesn't really matter
23%

Total votes : 80

Reviews: 3
Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:30 am
AlexMc says...

I personally think this is a rather stupid question. perhaps smoking next to a non smoker in real life could offend them, but personally, if it is in a book what can be so bad about it?

So I say it is fine.

253 Reviews

Reviews: 253
Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:27 pm
CK Lynn says...

I don't mind smoking in a book as long as someone doesn't just whip out a cigarette randomly and you're like "What the heck? They smoke?" It has to fit the character's personality.
"Just saying none of us want to conquer the world won't stop some other idiot from trying."
~Liberty and Justice, by Paul Dini

www.batmanworldblog.blogspot.com

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:41 am
niccy_v says...

No, it wouldn't bother me. It would tell me things about her though - she doesn't take care of herself being one. The choice of smoking or not smoking would reveal a lot to me about her being a character.
Writing gives my life purpose

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:52 am
Dream Deep says...

It doesn't bother me at all.

And besides, it's really a whole lot of fun to write about smoking. All that sighing out, the exhalation of smoke, pale tendrils curling upwards from the nostrils; all the minuscule gestures and motions of the hand. If a novelist does it properly, the creation of a smoking character actually goes a long way in showing that the novelist cares about the details.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:01 am
LilyJamey says...

Depends on the character, really. If it were important, go ahead, but I probably would take an instant dislike to the character. Unless it was explained. I am a little prejudiced against smokers, because in my school, it's synonymous to gangsters, which means more trouble to us prefects. Am recovering, though. :)
Got YWS?

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:51 am
sofi says...

If that's the kind of character you want to portray then I don't think it's a problem. People should know, and especially us, as writers, that your characters feelings and emotions or actions don't necessarily reflect your own. If it really shows something about their character and who they are then go for it :D

Sofi.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:19 am
Dreamworx95 says...

No because whether they smoke or not adds to their character/personality. If it comes naturally to the character to smoke, that's just how it is. Also, on the subject if whether or not a smoking character in a book would influence readers to smoke, is another matter.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:01 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

I did that in my novel once. It added to the characters stuggle in life I thought.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:30 am
RebellionLies says...

No, like so many other people have said before me, it can be used to reveal what a character is like.
"Just tell us what to fear because I don't know what tomorrow brings." -Bright Eyes

Reviews: 3
Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:12 am
Moody says...

I don't care at all if there is smoking in a story. If it adds to the character's personality add it. I'd probably be against it if the story was pro-smoking(that would be more like an essay though) but if it's just part of the story then why not.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:17 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

If it contradicts the personality, then yes I'd see it as a lame drama tool. Used properly, no it wouldn't.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:22 am
LydiaB says...

Just write what you want and don't worry about what some of us may think. As long as you keep your character original and don't build her around a certain stereotype, it's probably fine.

Also, remember that your character is a smoker. She's not going to pull out a cig and light up and then go run a marathon.

-Lydia
Is Pat Buchanan the answer to everything in your life? If so, put "Pat Buchanan" in your signature.

If you're looking for a good fantasy story in need of help...
Purple Magic
:D

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:18 am
dreamintechnicolour says...

It never bothers me when this sort of thing comes up unless it is mechanical or cliche. I think you have to ask yourself, is it really pulling its own weight in/bringing something to the story or is it unneccessary to mention it?
If the girls are drinking and doing drugs, it probably goes without saying that they smoke, unless it comes up in dialogue or is used as a device for describing something that they are doing it is kinda unneccessary.

But maybe that's just me. I'm a perfection is when there's nothing left to remove kinda girl.

Hope that helps,

Techni

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:25 pm
MySunshine says...

If smoking is part of what defines the character, then it doesn't bother me at all. It's the same with swearing. I mean, if the character is like that, then you can't portray him in any other way, right?
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:35 pm
Lauren says...

For me, absolutely not. Who wants perfect characters? Not I.
OK, maybe the exception of teen fic, if smoking is being used in a way that might encourage teenagers... but then again, I have a lot more faith in teenagers' self-control than to presume it's going to make any difference.

If I were writing a novel set in, say, the twenties, I would expect both men and women to smoke. It was fashionable. Still is, IMO. I know that's considered a politically incorrect thing to say, but in my opinion it does look fashionable.

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway