z

Young Writers Society

Saddest Book

Random avatar

Reviews: 150
Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:09 am
200397 says...

I am Mordred and I am Morgan le Fay by Nancy Springer. I read them every year at Halloween and I bawl. It's a heart wrenching sadness.

Also Ophelia by Lisa Klein, Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Weiss, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. All of the above are great works of fiction.

~Sunny

Reviews: 1
Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:25 pm
Fearless says...

1.)The Outsiders, definitely.
2.)Glass. The ending is sad to me.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. My friend told me the sad part before I read it, but I still almost cried.
Searching,
Seek and Destroy

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:27 am
octocoffee says...

A Time for Dancing by Davida Wills Hurwin. I ended up sobbing after that one, but it's been quite a while since I've read it. I am Mordred was also touching, that one made me cry as well. Also, The Stranger by Albert Camus and Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. There are much more, but those are the ones that come to mind first.
...if you are going to step on a live mine, make it your own. Be blown up, as it were, by your own delights and despairs. ~ Ray Bradbury
I Review Everything!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:11 pm
defendthelegend says...

The boy in the stripped Pyjamas

definatly

Plot from wiki!

This book is about a nine-year-old[2] boy named Bruno who liked nothing more than going to school or playing around with his friends. But because of his father's job, he is forced to move from his home in Berlin to Poland. From his bedroom window, Bruno spots a fence behind which he sees people in striped clothing. These are Jews, and they are in a Nazi concentration camp. One day his parents come to an agreement that both Bruno and Gretel, his sister, need a tutor for their education, so they hire Herr Liszt. To Bruno, Herr Liszt is the most boring teacher anyone could ever have; he teaches social studies instead of reading and arts, which Bruno prefers. So, in boredom and confusion, Bruno wonders what is going on at "Out-With" (Auschwitz) and why people are always dressed in striped pyjamas there. One afternoon, he goes exploring, and meets a Jewish boy called Shmuel, a name Bruno has never heard. Shmuel soon becomes Bruno's friend and Bruno visits every afternoon to talk. Bruno is told by Gretel that the people in the striped pyjamas on the other side of the fence are Jews and that he and his family are "the opposite".

The story ends with Bruno about to go back to Berlin with his mother and sister on the orders of his father. As a final adventure, he agrees to dress in a set of striped pyjamas and digs under the fence to help Shmuel find his father, who went missing in the camp. The boys are unable to find him, and just as it starts to rain and get dark, Bruno decides he would like to go home, but they are rounded up in a crowd of people by the nazi guards who start them on a march. Neither boy knows where this march will lead. However, they are soon crowded into a gas chamber, which Bruno assumes is a place to keep them dry from the rain until it stops. The author leaves the story with Bruno pondering, yet unafraid, in the dark holding hands with Shmuel. "...Despite the chaos that followed, Bruno found that he was still holding Shmuel's hand in his own and nothing in the world would have persuaded him to let go".

In an epilogue, Bruno's family spend several months at their home trying to find Bruno, before his mother and Gretel return to Berlin, only to discover he is not there as they had expected. A year afterwards, his father returns to the spot that the soldiers found Bruno's clothes (the same spot Bruno spent the last year of his life) and, after a brief inspection, discovers that the fence is not properly attached at the base and can form a gap big enough for a boy of Bruno's size to fit through. Using this information, his father eventually pieces together that they gassed Bruno to death. Several months later, the Red Army arrives to liberate the camp and orders Bruno's father to go with them. He goes without complaint, because "he didn't really mind what they did to him anymore".
I wrote your name in the sand and the sea washed it away! I wrote your name in my heart and there it will stay.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:50 pm
ridersofdamar says...

not sure if these are in here, but (in no particular order)

1. Of Mice and Men

2. God of Small Things

3. The Road
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

I read more books that made me sad!

Breathless by Lurlene McDaniel. I cried so hard. I mean why'd they have to cut off his other leg? Why'd he want to die? Why, why why! Why did they have to say they were going to sew his eyes shut because his corneas were drying out. God, that book is so sad. So, so sad.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Impulse, the end got me.

A Dog's Life. I cried so hard at this one part and I don't know why.

More I can't think of. Haha.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:38 am
GreenGiraffe says...

1. Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows
Its the only book I've ever cried over, And I'm a 13 year old boy, thats something thats hard to admit. **SPOILER AHEAD** I cried when dobby died... =( and his last words...

Luckily, i was in the back of my mums car, just pulling into the driveway, so it's not like I was at school or anything.

2. Boy in the stiped pajamas,
I just love how the story is told, from his mis-pronunciations and all his innocence, and at the end, i wasn't expecting it, i was just like 'ah, well, damn'

3. Mahtabs story (may have mispelled title)
It's about a 12 year old Afghanistan girl who has to go from their home to Indonesia and then try to seek asylum in Australia, i mean, this book really opened my eyes to the plight of these people
Click here to make a clicking sound

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:40 am
Lia says...

The time traveler's wife.
I cried for a whole night while reading this book. T_T
I may have others but at the moment only this came in my mind.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:08 pm
Lucinda says...

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Absolutely broke my heart. I broke down in tears both times I read it. Especially on the last "parade". Markus Zusak is one talented man.

Also, I just started reading My Sister's Keeper, and I'm thinking that'll probably make me cry as well.
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:23 pm
BethGoth05 says...

The End by Lemony Snicket.

Made me cry buckets the first time I read it and will continue to make me cry buckets everytime I reread it.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:02 am
captain.classy says...

1. The Giver
I cried all night long just thinking about the ending :(
2. Of Mice and Men
I cried when the mouse was killed. Nothing else in that book made me sad, though, which is odd because Lenny dies...
~Classy

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:36 pm
Critiq says...

I don't cry at books a lot (and these were from much younger days), but I guess:

1. Loser, for the scene when he gets lost as it is snowing.

2. I Am The Messenger, for all the hopeless romance and the final scenes

2 1/2. The Book Thief, for something I forgot

3. Flowers For Algernon, for the ending.

But yeah, I never really get that sad at books. Heck, I laughed at the ending of Boy In The Striped Pajamas. I like dark comedy, you might say.
Spoiler! :
I like people thinking that I have something so scandalous to say that I put it in spoiler tags, and I'm sorry that because of this selfish desire you were roped into reading this for not real lasting value.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:41 pm
myintensity says...

my sisters keeper
charlottes web
bridge to terabithia
lovely bones- This book wasnt sad for one certain circumstance but all the events put together were upsetting. This book was amazing though and put me to tears at the end for being truly beautiful.
memoirs of a geisha

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:39 am
tigress5674 says...

Some of the saddest books I've read have already been mentioned (The Book Thief, I am the Messenger, Bridge to Terabithia, and some others), but my top three saddest haven't been mentioned yet.

In order from least saddest to saddest:

Living Dead Girl (totally spacing on the author): I never cried but the whole book is just so horribly depressing (and very scary). It's about this child abduction victim who is sexually abused by her captor and it's just so sad how hopeless her life is.

The Sight by David Clement-Davies: It's about a pack of wolves, and for the most part the book itself isn't sad. There's even some funny parts at the beginning. It's toward the middle when the deaths start, and there are a LOT of deaths. Horribly sad. The end killed me though. I was literally sobbing for the last twenty pages. It just kept getting adder and sadder...

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale: Hands down the saddest book I have ever read. It's divided into three parts. The first part had me laughing like crazy. My mom actually asked if I had a fever. The first half of the second part still had me laughing, but the second half was awful. That's where the crying started. I continued to cry almost constantly throughout the third half of the book. It was just so horribly sad, and terribly realistic. I really felt bad for the main characters. Seriously, though, it was sad. I'm tearing up just thinking about it... :cry:

I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser