z

Young Writers Society

Where does my story go?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri May 23, 2008 9:33 pm
Nate says...

Nate wrote:
bear wrote:I have trouble classifying certain things. Like now, for instance.

I have a story that takes place in the future, after humans no longer just live on Earth (and America and parts of Europe self destructed), and there is space travel involved, but it's also a romance. It seems to be a sci-fi romance. And so I got to wondering, which category do I put it under?

It should go under Mystery.

Actually... sci-fi I guess.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:32 pm
Lynlyn says...

:lol: Nate...

Okay, so I'm assuming steampunk goes under sci-fi, right? I've been on a real steampunk kick lately. I guess the only other place for it would be "other fiction" - what's the verdict?
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:47 pm
Snoink says...

Sci fi, I think...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:43 pm
Chirantha says...

Well, I had posted a story in fantasy fiction and it concerns an alien girl.It does not have anything futuristic in it. But are aliens a fantasy? or Scientific things?
Warden: "If you want to lead, all you have to do is ask."
Alistair: "What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I'm stranded somewhere without any pants."
- Dragon Age

Need a review?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:45 am
JabberHut says...

It depends solely on your alien and your earth's life. If your story is based off of science (such as astronomers are gonna speak big scary science words and explanations, aliens are using big solar-powered laser guns, humans are using G24 pistol rifle sniper thingies, etc. ), then it's science-fiction.

Dictionary.com:

science fiction
n. A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Fantasy is not real. If there's a certain magical aspect to it, it's fantasy. Telepathy, magic powers, spells, magic items out of the ordinary, etc.

Dictionary.com:

fantasy
–noun
1. imagination, esp. when extravagant and unrestrained.
2. the forming of mental images, esp. wondrous or strange fancies; imaginative conceptualizing.
3. a mental image, esp. when unreal or fantastic; vision: a nightmare fantasy.

Good chance your story lands in sci-fi, but best check your story and make sure. :wink:

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:07 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Here's a basic guide to figuring out where your story goes:

If it could have happened in the past, it's historical fiction.
If it could happen now, see the next list
If it could happen in the future, it's sci-fi
If it flat out can't happen, it's fantasy

For present times:

If romance is the central theme and the focus of the story is the relationship, it's romance
If it involves an adventure of some sort with action involved, go with action/adventure
If it doesn't fit either of the above - e.g. teen fiction(unless that teen fiction is romance) - put it in other.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 am
Tallulahbelle says...

Okay...My story is rough, I mean ROUGH. I think...hehe...it envolves ghosts, wicca, body theives, romance, and mystery. After i clean it up, where should it go? Oh, and I suggest that a horror section be added. It seems like a major genre to be so neglected.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:19 pm
Aina says...

Okay.

I've got a story here that is set in a futuristic world but has people with powers like teleportation, reading minds, or anything along those lines you can come up with. The thing is that these powers come form medicine they recieved when they were little. That is si-fi, isn't it?
I wasn't sure until I read though this thread.
"Do you choose the path you walk upon or does it choose you?" - Abhorsen by Garth Nix

(freely translated form the language I read it in)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:33 pm
Rydia says...

Okay...My story is rough, I mean ROUGH. I think...hehe...it envolves ghosts, wicca, body theives, romance, and mystery. After i clean it up, where should it go? Oh, and I suggest that a horror section be added. It seems like a major genre to be so neglected.
Possibly action/adventure or other.

Okay.

I've got a story here that is set in a futuristic world but has people with powers like teleportation, reading minds, or anything along those lines you can come up with. The thing is that these powers come form medicine they recieved when they were little. That is si-fi, isn't it?
Yup, sci fi sounds right to me.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:28 pm
bludragon525 says...

Aina wrote:Okay.

Yep, most likely sci-fi.
Help! I can't remember if I'm the evil twin or the good one!

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:25 am
moon jumper says...

What about a musical? I'm thinking plays, but just to be safe...

MJ
Writing once a day keeps the voices away, and I've created a blog all about it: Daily Dose.
...and I'm now trying to create a user group based on the idea! Tell me if you're interested!

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:34 pm
hero says...

I've got this short thing (working it up into novella) going, but... well... I dunno.

Its not really romance, since its not really about the MC's falling in love or anything.
However, its not really an Other, since a lot of what happens is motivated by love/hate, such as her designated-driving for her ex-boyfriend and his girlfriend (because she still has feelings).
Neither is it an action/thriller, because, although there are fist-fights, running away from something, and basically action, there's not much to define it as Action/Thriller.

What is it?
So far, I'm working Other, but... I dunno...
This guy is so evil you could put him in between two slices of bread and call him an evil sandwich.

Coming at you like a jetpack Shakespeare.

Hero's Reviews
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic53905.html

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:06 pm
Rosendorn says...

Most likely Other Fiction!

When there's a blend of genres you aren't sure what to use, stick the story in Other Fiction.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:15 pm
Fruits_Basket99Tohru says...

I just wanted to make sure I would put my mystery story in the correct place before posting it.

It's got a lot of action in it, but it's somewhat fantasy (elf-like person) and somewhat sci-fi (futuristic, in a way). So I should just post in Other Fiction, right? As Rosey said.
"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you."
--Fruits Basket Book 1, page 134

Do you need a review?

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:36 pm
Evi says...

Yup. ^^ When in doubt, go with Other Fiction.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James