z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:47 pm
Cassandra says...

Gah. How could I have not seen that coming?!

Thank you, El.

XD
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:37 pm
Black Ghost says...

What if Harry or Ron is Dumbledore from the past!!!

Or not...

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:37 pm
aeroman says...

I think Harry Potter is great. JK Rowling does a fantastic job of hooking her readers in every single book right from the beginning and till the end. This is a very hard thing to do and that is probably why I think they're good. I don't especially love the world or anything, but in truth it is very original and well thought out. There are new surprises in every book and that is one of the things that makes them good.

I'm really not that big of a Harry Potter fan because I don't like things as much when 'everybody' likes them. I like being more of an individual I guess. I still like them but probably not as much as the majority of people that do.
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:26 am
Jiggity says...

Its awesome and I love it but I don't like Rowling, contemptible ************ ****** ********* ********** *******
woman (I just thought the astrixes would be an artful touch btw) only desires money. But yeah, love the books.

It seems obvious to me that Harry will die in the last book or, failing that, will end up possessed by Voldemort... pretty sure he'll be all noble and sacrifice himself and blah blah blah
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:08 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

In looking back on reading the books, I can see now that Rowling seems to have a strict formula for her books that guarantees them to be successful, but at the same time shows how limited she is in how she writes. In beginning of each book she presents the reader with something they desperately need to find out so their head doesn't explode with speculation, and doesn't reveal it until late in the book. Some would call this suspense, which is natural and great and everything, but it seems to be the only trick she knows as a writer. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the books, but I'm curious to see if Rowling is confident enough in her talent to do something after HP. If she does, it'll be a commercial success, but a literary one? I'm skeptical.

I'm done.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:04 am
Griffinkeeper says...

If that was her only trick, you wouldn't long hold the book. A good opening can not save a book if the rest of the book is terrible. The type of books that use one trick exclusively is an experience akin to a migraine.

I think that J.K. Rowling is a very clever author. She is a very clever integrator. In her first book, she makes an off the hand remark about a person on a trading card which comes back later in the book as a significant piece of evidence.

If it seems she has only one trick, then it's probably because you haven't analyzed it fully. I wish I had a few days to analyze the books for tricks. If it isn't obvious, it's because she is that good.

The trademark of a good author is the ability to hide the extensive framework used to construct a book.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:17 am
Mr. Everyone says...

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*EDITED*

Please don't stretch out threads needlessly, Mr. Everyone.

-Areida
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:30 am
bubblewrapped says...

Way to stretch the thread, Mr. Everyone!

Anyways, some interesting thoughts here (would never have seen that coming, El, but now that you point it out---SO obvious! LOL). Personally I think Rowling is very clever, as she manages to keep your attention right through the book, even when nothing incredible or mysterious is happening.

While I dont think she's as inventive as, say, Terry Pratchett, or as descriptive as Ursula le Guin, she does have talent and her writing speaks to many people because it's entirely unpretentious. Granted, sometimes my inner editor has fits over her grammar and there a plot holes in places, I personally find the books a thoroughly enjoyable read. I wouldnt call them my favourites, but they're familiar and friendly and great to fall back on for long car rides and on rainy days when the library is closed.

Um. Yeah. My 20c LOL.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

798 Reviews

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:04 am
Jiggity says...

Stupid stretchy thread.

Inertia, she's already made it clear that she has, or is currently, writing a children's book that will be published under a pseudonym. Whether its a commerical success or not is irrelevant for someone now worth $1.4 Billion.

798 Reviews

Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:59 am
Jiggity says...

WOOT! This may be delayed but I only found out a few days ago: HP BK 7 will be called: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

Weee! Oh and the woman has finally gone psychotic; had a dream that she was Harry not long ago.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:04 am
Fael57 says...

Okay. Question, am I the only sane person here?

Fael57
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Theodore Roosevelt

"It is better to be present with ten men than absent with ten thousand."

Timur the Lame (Tamerlane)

"I know that I know nothing at all."

Aristotle

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:14 am
Swires says...

I love harry potter and RP on about 3 RPGs and have one of my own.

The books are just awesome, the world, the characters etc.. are so good. Admittedly the prose isnt that mature, but who cares?
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:01 pm
The Jesseble says...

Jiggity wrote:WOOT! This may be delayed but I only found out a few days ago: HP BK 7 will be called: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

I heard that too

I hope its a nice long one, i like long book because i read too quickly. I read HBP in six hours

So will harry die? i hope so, he annoys me. He's always misunderstood and moans about how no one believes him then when they do...he still moans.

Fool!
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:17 pm
Esmé says...

I personally enjoyed reading HP, but reading it once was enough of me, This wasn;t teh type of book that you can go back to even if you know what happens...

Which doesn;t mean that I won't be reading book 7, lol. I do hope Harry dies. I agree wth Jesseble - he is irritating me.

If Harry doesn;t (here's a horrific vision, lol) JK Rowling might want to come back to him... 7 long books is enough, in my opinion,..

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:33 pm
Swires says...

WOOT! This may be delayed but I only found out a few days ago: HP BK 7 will be called: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

-- Its Deathly Hallows (with an "a")
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb