z

Young Writers Society

Rereading books

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:21 am
Snoink says...

zelithon wrote:I think I understand now. I remember EVERYTHING I read. I get it the first time completely. It might be because I don't ever skim-i find skimming is pointless even if I could read faster that way. I can read a chapter in my history book once and get 100% on the test. You fellows skim or do what I would consider skimming. I am not claiming genius status. If I skimmed or just 'read' as fast as 300 pgs a day I would understand but I would not enjoy and would probably forget eventually. If I want to find a definite good book I look for a book by a definite author. I don't read to simply get to the end sometimes i read slowly to savor the story. Rereading does not mean your stupid-I said that, but I still think it is foolish. Read it right the first time and only reread it if you don't understand, not understanding if you read it properly does not mean your stupid either it simply means you chose a book too hard, which I also think is foolish.
Another thing, library vs owning. I like owning books but I usually only read them once. The library I like reading books many people have read before but i cannot look at it anytime and claim ownership.
Maybe I shuold have put this in debates.

How do you know if you're not missing anything if you don't reread the books? :?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:32 am
Rei says...

It's not just a case of not understanding and misreading things the first time you read it. There's also interpretation and response. Regardless of whether or not it is a difficult book or an easy one, if you read it a second or third time, you are a different person and will therefore respond to in differently. Say you read a book about a death and you'ev never lost anyone close to you. Then a few months later you experience a death in the family, or or one of your friends does. The next time you read it, you're going to experience it differently. Whether in school or not, you're always learning more and experiencing new things that will change the way you look at a story.

Throw all the intellectual stuff, there is the simple enjoyment of a story. Like was said, nobody thinks anything of wanting to hear a song multiple times, watching a movie several times, or picking up an illustrated book several time to look at the pictures again, or to do something fun and wanting to do it again. So why should reading a book be any different? If you enjoy something, it's natural to want to experience it again. That's why video stores, Shakespeare festivals and Shakespeare-in-the-Park events are so successful. It's never just people who have never seen the plays/movies before. You get repeats all the time.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:38 am
Areida says...

Ooh, I did what you did with the sixth HP, Bekster.

I read it in about eight hours, and then a week later reread over the course of three or so days, just because I was so eager to find out what happened, and then I wanted to go back and pay more attention to details.

Besides, how are you ever going to memorize anything if you don't read over it? :? Just because you understood the material the first time through doesn't mean you're going to know it all instantly. I have to chant Latin charts over and over and over and write them down and chant them some more, but once I do, they're stuck with me. Or maybe I should say I'm stuck with them. :p
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:56 am
Sohini says...

rereading-yes!
re-reading-yes!
re-re-reading-yes, yes yes!!!

i re-read specially the HP series till i almost learn them by heart
since we have Julius Caesar in my new class (equivalent of grade) i'll have to break all HP re-reading records and read that book at least over 100 times!! (if you're wondering, we'll have JC for two years and then give a grand exam on it and 15 re-read poems and 15 re-read short-stories. and this exam is everything)
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:44 am
zelithon says...

I have reread books when I was desperate at for a few months that was practically all I could do. I have recently reread the midwife's apprentice and Catherine called birdie. The first time I read them I was in 4Th grade a long time ago for me. I picked up nothing new. You could argue I am as smart as a fourth grader, but even despite my atrocious spelling that is not true. I remember everything put into sentences. Maybe I just read more thoroughly than most people. I read at the speed of someone talking, I do remember all of it. I tried rereading The Goblet of Fire which I read for the first time in 3rd grade because I thought I might have forgotten something but I did not. Also photographic memories don't always apply to books. :? I almost want to say sorry that all you people are wrong but I will restrain myself. Its hard disagreeing with people older than oneself when they are not related.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:18 am
Elelel says...

Well, I claim to be the most obsessive rereader here. I reread so much my mum actually goes on campaigns to get me interested in new books even though I love books. When I read a book, I read it twice. I don't read it once. Ever. Sometimes I read it three times. I don't do it to pick up new things, although I sometimes do anyway, I don't reread to see it in a different light ... I just reread because I enjoyed the stories so much.

My mum told me that when I was little I'd watch the same movies over and over and over again, and never get bored of them. Now I do that with books. I read books quickly, but that's not why I reread them. I just reread them because I enjoy them. I still do that with movies too. If I don't reread something, I begin to crave that story.

The ending isn't what's important. Wanting to read a story, for me, has nothing to do with wanting to reach the end. It's every bit along the way I want to experience again and again. Some people here can name the books they've reread. I couldn't do that, because I've reread everything a gazillion times. When I feel like a certain story, I read it.

Does it make me stupid? Does it make me wrong?

Beats me.

I do have a skimming tendancy, but I skim the same bits every time I read something. I don't reread to get the things I missed. Anyway, if I'm constantly forced to skim things, does that make me a bad reader, or the author a boring writer?

To me, the sign of a bad book is one I never want to reread.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:27 am
smaur says...

Éloeré >> Succinct and articulate. You summed it up pretty much perfectly. Thanks.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:00 am
Rei says...

Cheers to that Eloere!
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:44 pm
Meshugenah says...

El.. that's right in one. I have nothing else to add, right now.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:15 pm
Writersdomain says...

I LOVE to reread books. Sometimes it's hard to not skip sections because you know what happens next, but with the suspense and plot aside, you can focus on the more hidden elements of the story and it's amazing how much you catch reading something the second time through.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:42 am
Firestarter says...

Wow, El, that was pretty much some of the things I was gonna add. I reread all the time, and skim sometimes.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue May 09, 2006 10:09 am
dele24 says...

I reread all the time too. I love it. i usually read quite fast thoruhg the first time (I have a habit of staying up to all hours of the night and morning not being able to put a book down) but when I go through it again its like *click click* and you see things that you can't remember reading before and everything just makes so much more sense.

Anyway, everything had basically all been said, but I do love rereading, I've done it since I was little. How can you ever read "Horton the Elephant looks after the Egg" just once? You see, little kids love haering their favourite books over and over, why should we change when we grow up?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat May 20, 2006 1:17 am
ScarletMornings says...

For me, rereading is one of the greatest things in the world. It's not a matter of not understanding. I just love to reread some books because I love the emotions they give me. For example, The Two Princesses of Bamarre. An all-time favorite, I love rereading it because I always cry at the end because the story is something I can completely relate to. Another favorite, The Perilous Gard. I've reread this probably five or six times because no matter how many times I read it, it's still one of the best books I've ever picked up and I never get tired of it. But in all actuality, I very, very, very rarely reread a book all the way through. I usually just reread my favorite parts. And sometimes I will reread a book I know I enjoyed but that I've forgotten because I've read so much stuff since I first read it.
"Maybe I wanted to hear it so badly that my ears betrayed my mind in order to secure my heart."
- Margaret Cho

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat May 20, 2006 8:05 am
deleted6 says...

HP books and some books i like loads heh.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:53 pm
Mighty Aphrodite says...

Man. Re-reading books is my life.

Honestly. I love so many books and so many different writing styles that I just keep going back to them. You notice something different every time, no matter how many times you've read it. I'll read new books and then, if I like them, I'll re-read it...probably a couple of times.

And besides: why spend the money on a book when you're going to read it once and let it sit there?

I think re-reading also helps you become a better writer. The first time through, you're just paying attention to the details that make the story come together. The second time, you're looking for the important pieces of the story that you overlooked the first time. After that, you start to understand the mechanics of the book, and how it is that it makes a story. That, in turn, allows you to do a better job when you try it out yourself.
"lovers alone wear sunlight." -e e cummings

"A well-behaved woman rarely makes history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody."
-Mark Twain

I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
— Margaret Atwood