z

Young Writers Society

Need help with a plot

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sat May 10, 2014 2:39 am
Milanimo says...

Hi!
I wrote a story for English, but felt like there was so much more I could do with it. The problem is, I'm a bit stuck at a certain point and need some guidance.

Here it is:
It's 1940 in Britain and because the Blitz is going on, the main character Timothy has to go to the country to live with his grandfather, George. George is a clockmaker and has a strong passion for his craft, but has recently felt like he needed to do a bit more with his life.

Here is my problem. I want the story to have a science fiction aspect dealing with the clocks(I used time travel in my English class) that isn't time travel. I just really need some help brainstorming ideas for what that element could be, and from there I could create a plot and really make the story work. It can be something fantasy as well.

So any ideas?

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sat May 10, 2014 2:45 am
View Likes
JohnLocke1 says...

Dealing with watches and time? Perhaps an aspect of being able to see or interpret the future. Being set during World War 2, that could yield interesting results. Imagine if, from the point of view of Timothy, he begins to see his grandfather slowly descend into madness from the knowledge of the future. George sees it all; the mass killing of Jews, the horrible destruction of atomic weapons, and, possibly, the end of all things. Introducing such themes could prove difficult to write, but the end result would be spectacular.
"To prejudge other men's notions before we have looked into them is not to show their darkness but to put out our own eyes." - John Locke

123 Reviews

Sat May 10, 2014 2:51 am
Milanimo says...

Thank you so much! Do you mind if I use that idea? I just feel it's too good to pass up and I feel as if I could definitely go somewhere with that. I just hit a wall and needed a good push in the right direction, but that idea is gold!!

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sat May 10, 2014 3:06 am
JohnLocke1 says...

I put it there for you, my friend!
"To prejudge other men's notions before we have looked into them is not to show their darkness but to put out our own eyes." - John Locke

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sun May 11, 2014 6:52 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

It looks as if you've got a good suggestion that's got you going, but I read your problem before I knew you'd solve it, so I just figured I'd throw my suggestion at your feet.

You want science fiction and clocks, you might include a construction aspect. The clock maker wants to do more with his life, but what he knows is clocks, so he may incorporate them into some kind of weapon or defense. In the end, this weapon or defense may have some flaw that disappoints him because he worked so hard to perfect it.

Or if you're interested in fantasy, perhaps think up a world of invisible beings that live in every single assembled clock in the world, and this grandfather needs to protect them -- he thinks about clocks and watches being destroyed by war and works to make a stronger watch??

Hehe, just passing through~
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

123 Reviews

Sun May 11, 2014 12:48 pm
View Likes
Milanimo says...

Thank you! I might try incorporating this into the idea that @JohnLocke1 gave me! Although, this is my first big short story so it could be a challenge. Of course I will be posting this on YWS so I'd love both of your expertise on it once I post!

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sun May 11, 2014 12:52 pm
View Likes
Hannah says...

No worries if you don't use it, 'cause you've already started and there's always next time, haha.

Let me know when you post it and I'll be right over to review! (:
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

123 Reviews

Thu May 29, 2014 2:32 am
Milanimo says...

Sorry it's been a while but one more question for you two. Should I switch the povs between the two characters? It's hard to see any character development in George through Timothy's eyes(a problem of mine). Any suggestions there?

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu May 29, 2014 2:47 am
lostthought says...

You can switch, but be careful to let the readers know who they are.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

123 Reviews

Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 pm
Milanimo says...

Ok. I'm thinking of splitting it into chapters so I can differentiate. Any other tips?

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein