7%
Nova
53%

Total votes : 15

Reviews: 4
Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:09 am
thelostone says...

Hi everyone!

So, I'm working on my new novel and it's mainly focused around a teenage guy named Isaac. The problem is, I don't know what to name his possible love interest. She's a bit of a nerd and definitely quirky. She's one of those people who have theories on everything but until she's comfortable she won't say much. I want her name to reflect her unique personality. Please help me! (:

Also, if you would like to suggest a name go ahead!
Last edited by thelostone on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:17 am
Iggy says...

I chose Clea because I love that name and I might be a bit bias.

Can you give us more details about the girl? Her appearance, her personality, her history? Anything, even if brief, might help with deciding a name.

Also, moving this to Fiction Discussion and Tips. :mrgreen:
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:06 am
View Likes
Pan says...

I chose Nova, but like Iggy, I am also biased. I've wanted to name my child Nova. I think that it ties in with the nerdiness. It's also not a very common name, so that adds quirk.
A nova is a star that gets super bright and then after a few months it goes back to normal.
You could make her interested in astronomy if you wanted to make a cute little reference there.

Or you could make her parents astronomers or something.

Anyways, I adore that name.
I AM THE PAN.
BEWARE MY KITCHEN UTENSIL-Y GLORY!
Formerly 'PenAndSword'

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:35 am
deleted30 says...

I chose Nova, as well, because

A. It fits the character perfectly,
B. It's a really cute name and the name of two of my friends, despite being pretty uncommon, and lastly
C. The names Nova and Isaac complement each other beautifully. :wink:

Also, one of the options was Rory, and I almost went for that, but the problem for me was that your character (from what you've described) actually sounds a bit like Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls, and naming her Rory might've been too on the nose (i.e., might've looked like you were copying the Rory character). Just thought I should point it out.

Good luck with your story! :D

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:42 am
niteowl says...

I voted Mallory because of the Baby-Sitter's Club books (do kids still read those or am I officially old now?) :P

Since the boy's name is Isaac, it might be interesting to look at Biblical names as well. Some of them are pretty common (Sara, Rachel, Rebecca, Hannah, Mary) but some are more obscure (Oprah was supposed to be named Orpah after a character in Ruth but it got a little mixed up). Just some food for thought.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:03 am
TriSARAHtops says...

@niteowl I read the Baby-Sitters Club books when I was in primary school! I think it's still a thing, even if that was around eight years ago.

Anyway, I don't really feel like I know your character well enough to be able to suggest a name, and none of the above jumped out at me. Maybe if you tell me more I could think up something. :-)
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:35 am
Cole says...

The name Nova is unique, strong, and, because of its cosmic identity, it's mystical, which I think is perfect for the character.

Don't do Annalie. Ever. I'm not a Seth MacFarlane fan at all, but his show Family Guy made some unfortunate dirty jokes about the name Annalie/Annalee. So, the name may have a few blemishes due to that.

I also agree with Lucrezia. Nova and Isaac are gorgeous together.

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:17 pm
OliveDreams says...

I voted for Mallory!

Its quirky, sweet and something you really don't hear that often in books!

"Isaac and Mallory sitting in a tree…"

Yeah..that totally works.
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket