Name for Witch Coven

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:00 pm
ah1705 says...

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
- Juliet Capulet

Well just another thing Juliet was wrong about, there is a lot in a name. Silly girl, she knows nothing. Juliet and Jon Snow would get along quite nicely.

Anyway, I'm working on this "project" (I'm not going to say novel) but I wanted a second opinion on a name. Super vague, I know, but it'll make more sense... just keep reading.

Premise: The religion is based on different pagan/pantheons (Wiccan, Sumerian, Asatru,ect.) where they meet together on high holidays and are governed by an elected high council. (I know in real life, this would never happen because these belief systems have no higher governing body or religious text) But no matter what they believe, they're able to control a different element of nature which makes them "Elementals". That's why they join together to protect themselves and other people from the "Shadows", who are really just rebel elementals.

Now, here is my problem. There is something in me that just doesn't want to call the bad guys Shadows and I can't find a better name for the witches other than being Elementals. Both of these terms are very broad and not very original in my option. Does anyone have any suggestions on different names? Anything would be appreciated because I'm stuck in a slump here.

Thank you!
We are still masters of our fates. We are still captains of our souls. -Winston Churchill

Live without pretending.
Love without depending.
Listen without defending.
Speak without offending.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:14 pm
Holysocks says...

I don't know. I guess take a look and see what kind of characters you've got, and what they would name them. unless, of course, this has been going on from before most of your mains have been born...

Oh my, I'm not very good at this! Well, I hope that helped a bit... Sorry I couldn't think of any names. :-D
100% autistic

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:53 pm
Lauren2010 says...

My biggest suggestion would be to look at other languges! There might be words in other languages (Latin might be in line with the atmosphere of your story?) that mean something that could apply to your groups. For example you might find another word in another language for "shadow" that fits them!
Got YWS?

*gestures in butterfly meme*
— BluesClues