Young Writers Society

MARCH MADNESS Poetry Workshop!

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:33 am
View Likes
Audy says...

To all those who participated, thanks for attending! :) Workshop was a huge success!

I'll be sending out links to the document to everyone who wasn't able to attend. To those who were there, you may all save these and come back to it whenever needed.

The group poems will be posted up momentarily :)

~ Audy
Last edited by Audy on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 am
View Likes
ali says...

I am very interested in poetry and I have just started to write it.

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:29 am
View Likes
Nargles says...

Am interest!!! have really just started getting into poetry and would love to learn more!!!!
Don't let the Nargles bite.
And don't let a dementor kiss you good night.

It's a charm actually. It keeps away the Nargles- Luna

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 am
View Likes
Nargles says...

Sorry just realised i can't as am busy!!!! Really sorry and annoyed!!!
Don't let the Nargles bite.
And don't let a dementor kiss you good night.

It's a charm actually. It keeps away the Nargles- Luna

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:23 pm
View Likes
LemonyIce says...

Ooh! Me! Me! :D

EDIT: Gah. Sorry, I won't be able to attend it. 4:00 am in the morning is just... too early. I'm usually not even awake then. xD

Sorry. I would love to attend, but I just can't. D:
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Aud! Please include me in the list! I'm interested in anything which can make me a better artist! :)
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:22 pm
View Likes
Justagirl says...

I'd love to! I've never done a workshop before, though... Can anyone explain how it will work?
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

696 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:30 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

I'd love to! I've never done a workshop before, though... Can anyone explain how it will work?

Sure thing! That's actually a very good question. On that day, everyone will be receiving a PM from me with a link to the workshop on Titanpad. Titanpad is similar to a chatroom, where all of us can be online at the same time, look at the same document, edit it, and comment on each other, and you don't even need to deal with the hassle of signing up or registering!

The workshop itself is structured into two parts. The first half of the workshop is instructive and discussion-based, while the second half is about creativity and free-writing.

Here's a more detailed overview of everything that will be going on:

Spoiler! :
During the instructive part, We will go over our main topic: how to decide when a poem is finished? as well as brush over poetic elements and effective techniques you can use when revising poetry!

We'll be looking at a published poem from an established, contemporary poet and quickly discuss what we might've liked, what we don't like about it, and what we can learn from it.

If anyone has any specific questions about craft, or would like to share some of their own experiences or tips, this would be the perfect opportunity to ask, since you will have at your disposal: Mesh, Pengu, myself, and all of your peers from YWS to learn from! And of course, we can all learn from you!

Everybody has different methods, different opinions, different thoughts! So, there's never any need to feel intimidated. Even if you don't know half of what you're doing, the important part is to write and to express yourself and to learn, but more importantly to have fun! ^_^ We're all friends here!

As for the creativity and free-writing. It will be based upon what we've learned. There will be a prompt that will serve to inspire you and get you thinking in new and inventive ways. We will each take a few minutes to work separately and free-write and come up with our own poetic draft and ideas.

These poems that you write at the workshop can be commented on by any and all of your peers and the best part is that it will take place in real time, so if you are stuck at a certain point and need some advice (maybe you need help coming up with the right word or you need help with flow) we'll all be there to help and support each other. You can even post them up on YWS when you're finished!

But wait! There's more! For the last few minutes of the workshop, I want to try a group activity. I will start off with an opening line for a poem and each of us will respond in kind and write a line in succession. By the end of the workshop, we should have a finished poem written by the entire group where we will each have contributed a line.

Altogether, all of these exercises should take about an hour. With my experience in doing workshops, they usually go for a bit longer, but our goal will be to shoot for an hour. I know it seems a bit fast pace, but you will quickly get the hang of it and have a lot of fun doing it!

696 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:39 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

To LemonyIce and Nargles, and for all those who might be interested and are unable to make it to this workshop:

Do not fret. If this goes well, we hope to have other workshops next month, and we will make sure to prioritize your timezones :D

Even though you won't be joining us, if you are still interested, I can certainly send you both the link to the document, so that you can still have the discussion, everybody's comments, and the published poet's poem at your disposal.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

12 am? D:

Well. I *am* usually a Good Blues so I do sleep earlier, but seeing as it's Saturday, I'll have a bit of coffee at around 10 so I can stay up a bit.

I've only written one poem ever and I don't even know anything about poetry. But I want to write more. Is it okay if I ask loads of questions? :3

696 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:20 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

I've only written one poem ever and I don't even know anything about poetry. But I want to write more. Is it okay if I ask loads of questions? :3

Yes! In fact, it is encouraged!

I welcome all those who are new to poetry, even if you think you don't know much, you'll be surprised at how much you actually know intrinsically! But either way, I've got your back. So no worries ;)

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm
View Likes
Paracosm says...

I'm interested!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:48 pm
View Likes
Learner1 says...

That sounds like fun, I'm interested! :D
Hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it, so get out there and do it!

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:38 pm
View Likes
Karzkin says...

I'm in.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:32 am
View Likes
Nyl says...

The Hei is interested.
"I'm writing the next big thing, aren't we all are?" Hei

"Death is cheap, and so is life, but a reputation is not easily recovered."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi