z

Young Writers Society

Emotion

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:04 am
nekros says...

Alright, so someone in my class said that he like writing as an art form, because you could say "I'm sad" and people would feel sad with you. I don't know about you, but I would not feel sad in that case. I think emotion should come naturally and involuntary on the part of the reader. Telling them what to feel doesn't work out so well. What do you think?
"He laid emeralds in our eyes. Oh, but I'd already tried a bracelet made of gold and scarlet thread around her wrist. And everything was wrong, so we sang sentimental songs. Oh how seldom we belong, but how elegant our kiss." -Norma Jean "Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste"

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:16 am
lele253isme says...

what you just wrote is SO TRUE. Show not tell. That is the best of advice!!! :D

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 am
housecat says...

I also see writing as an art form, but I do agree with what you just said. I can't just feel 'sad' because he's sad. I have to know why he's sad and I most likely have to relate to it. If I felt 'sad' every time somebody told me a pity story, I would probably be sad all the time. I don't know what he was talking about, but it defiantly wasn't writing.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:40 am
hopeispeace says...

Its true . It irratates me when people think being straight forward with emotion makes a good poem. It doesnt. At all.
~HopeisPeace

Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria