z

Young Writers Society

How do you write poetry?

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:08 pm
Fireweed says...

For me, Bubblewrapped summed it up exquisitely. I'll have an image, idea, phrase, memory, etc. that just won't leave me alone. I'll let it percolate in my brain for awhile, then jot it down and it just sort of grows into something resembling a poem. It just sort of happens, almost inadvertently. At least with the poems I like. Sometimes I'll sit down with the intention of writing a poem, and those ones are usually crap.

But it's a very individualistic process. I don't think there's any incorrect way to write a poem.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:24 pm
Young gun says...

Writing poetry is like making a comic strip......you really have to wait till you've got a good idea or your work will be spoilt.
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:02 am
defendthelegend says...

1. Plan. Ask yourself:

How much time is available? Opening lines can be dashed off in minutes but completion may take days or weeks. Be cautious, and aim perhaps for 5-10 lines in an evening. Don't wait for the muse, but write what you can when you can. Odd phrases and lines are at least something to work from, and more inspiring than a blank page.

When you write letters or tell stories, do you usually start from a newspaper article you've read, an anecdote told or overheard, something witnessed, a general reflection? Start a poem in the way you're most comfortable with.

What sort of poem had you in mind? A story, a comment, a tribute, a protest, an elegy, a character study, a memorial? Skim through contemporary examples to start yourself off.

About the issues involved. Imagine the poem were a newspaper article: what points would you make, with what evidence and resounding arguments? Got it together? Go on then: let yourself go. Something will emerge.

2. Make sure the subject's important to you. Death of a friend or family member, rites of passage, the bitter sweetness of first love, one of life's turning points, old transgressions, a childhood incident, injustices, unacknowledged fears... Use a mask of the second or third person if the content is too personal or painful.

3. Give yourself up to reverie. Go for a walk, lie on the sofa and close your eyes, go to bed, cut out the surrounding world. Jot down the things that come you, in whatever order or confusion. Put the scribblings away for the present, and only open the folder hours or weeks later to see what you've got. You'll be amazed at what's inside you.

4. Free the imagination. Try:

Automatic writing. Say 5 minutes at a stretch, continuously, never stopping. Go through the material when you've collected in ten pages or so, and circle anything interesting.

Get a friend to say words at random. Write down the first response that comes to you. Build a poem around three of the words.

Open a diary or journal (yours or someone else's) and jot down the first incident on three successive pages. Make a poem of these.

Describe, as closely as you can, some recurring dream or nightmare. Reverse the sequence, and then make a poem.

5. Work through metaphors. Take four lines of any contemporary poem. Identify the metaphors. Then use a thesaurus to find alternatives for the metaphors. Then repeat with the alternatives, finding words even further removed from the originals. Think deeply on three or so of the more interesting words, and see if can draft a poem incorporating them.

6. Write a pastiche. Take a stanza of something well known and rewrite it so that a) the idiom is entirely different, b) the lines end with nonsense rhymes, c) the piece is ruined with the smallest possible change, d) the piece looks completely fresh and contemporary.

7. Take the last line of one of your poems (which needn't be good). Carry on from there, ignoring entirely what you drafted before.

8. Repeat some of these exercises on material swopped with a fellow student or poet.
I wrote your name in the sand and the sea washed it away! I wrote your name in my heart and there it will stay.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:45 am
baron.vrinda says...

My poetry is not that good, i am working on it right now...
Sometimes i get across some trivial incidents of everyday which inspire me to write. or sometimes, whenever i am disturbed or sad, i take it all out on a piece of page. for me, writing poems depend on my mood, not on the situation or circumstances.
generally, my the lines in my poems are rhyming ones.
to write a poem, i usually let my heart take control of my mind. i stop thinking too much and jot down the first idea which comes to my mind.
all i want while writing a poem is a good mood, a pen, a paper and silence.
after i have written a poem, i usually go into a fit of excitement! i call up my aunt, my brother, my mom and my friends and narrate it to them, oblivious of whether they want to hear it or not!
Enjoy every moment of your life; you never know when it might come to an end...

Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe