z

Young Writers Society

The bells. By Poe.

286 Reviews

Reviews: 286
Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:08 am
silented1 says...

viewpoetry.php?id=458

I like the first part as it keeps a nice rhythm and tone. As well as it keeps it simple and nice and how it sort of sets a scene, and gives an okay description of the bells.
I like the second part because, it gives time and more description to what the bells
symbolise and tell. Happiness.
Whats cool about the third part, is that it can shows that the bells aren't just happy or good. That they can be bad and more human like.With good and bad.
What I like about the fourth part is that it keeps all the musical parts of it and shows that the bells are coming to an end.And that bells will always be in culture ringing for a purpose.

I am usually reminded of parts of this poem, when it starts to snow in my area and I am walking some where. I see my breathe and the quietness of my town and when the Church bells ring it completes it for me.
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:31 am
Nate says...

I've always been fascinated by this poem.

As you read it, the underlying tone slowly progresses from a feeling of ecstasy almost to a more somber and even morbid tone. I've heard a lot of interpretations for this; some say the four parts are a metaphor for the four seasons, and others say it's a metaphor for life.

Neither makes much sense for me. If it's a metaphor for the four seasons, then you'd expect it to come full circle at the end. Besides, Poe wasn't someone to make such a trite metaphor.

Being a metaphor for life makes a bit more sense. You start out life happy and carefree, but end it cantankerous and rambling. Yet, even though Poe was a dark guy, I doubt even he would make such an overbroad generalization.

I think rather what the bells relate to is just one man's frustration and anger with the trivialities of life. Every day, the bells ring; a welcome occurrence at first over the din of daily life, but gradually they become a nuisance. Such is it with trivialities that we first welcome their existence, but later grow tired of the same thing day in and day out.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:06 pm
Kamas says...

I always enjoy Poe's work, but this one isn't my favourite. It doesn't seem as top notch as the rest.

I think your right about the bells Nate, they seem to have a more person-like quality to them and I see the relation to the anger at life.

But either way, good choice in poetry Ed,

Kamas
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:09 pm
empressoftheuniverse says...

Like a lot of Poe's writing, this poem descends into madness and drags you along with. I am humming along with the happy tune of the bells until they are portrayed as sinister; and then I feel slightly afraid and as they morph into this image of harbingers of terror; I actually feel terrified. This stanza did it for me
And the people — ah, the people —
They that dwell up in the steeple,
All alone,
And who, tolling, tolling, tolling,
In that muffled monotone,
Feel a glory in so rolling
On the human heart a stone —
They are neither man nor woman —
They are neither brute nor human —
They are Ghouls: —
And their king it is who tolls: —
And he rolls, rolls, rolls, rolls,
And the way he ends it-- beautiful. Goes back to the happy, charming bells, bells, bells.
Last line:
To the moaning and the groaning of the bells.
Just exquisite. Reading Poe is like journeying to a dark yet inviting place that's sure to drive you to insanity.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:41 am
Hannah says...

I. LOVE. this poem.

I love reading it aloud. If you haven't, you should!
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Tue May 04, 2010 7:41 am
Navita says...

Oh, the joys of classical poetry and rhyme. It's been so long since I read anything good that rhymed! And, funny that, it just so happens to be an older piece. But yeah, I love Poe.

Had it been any other poet, I might have thought that the incessant repetition of 'bells' would be annoying instead of capturing the ring-a-ting-ting of bells perfectly. With this, well, it was sweet.

And I think that Nate's analysis is more than likely to be spot on :D.

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster