z

Young Writers Society

YWS Needs A Mascot!

YWS Needs A Mascot, and It Should Be A(n)...

Teddy Bear
5%
Horse
4%
Dragon
33%
Monkey
22%
Cat
7%
Dog
0%
Kangaroo
12%
Rabbit
1%
Other
17%

Total votes : 212

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Tue May 02, 2006 5:56 pm
Emma says...

Yeah, a dragon isn't the best.

I hate them anyway... they are pretty much overused.

I like the bunny rabbit. =]]]!

Wouldn't that be the cutest?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 02, 2006 6:03 pm
Nate says...

Phoenix wrote:What I don't think people realize, is that we're going to have to DRAW this mascot, and probably more than once, in various poses and positions, and all the while keeping the character model constant enough to make it look like the same character. If we have, say, a DRAGON, that is a much more complicated mascot than a monkey. It's also much harder to draw a dragon doing fun stuff like writing and reading and doing anytrhing other than flying and razing towns.

A CHIMP, however, is perfect for our mascot because it can basically do whatever a human can, and always look funny doing it. A dragon, for instance, would dwarf a book or a pencil, and a dragon sized pencil would just look weird. A chimp would be much easier to draw, and there's a ton of reference pictures of real life chimps that could be used to draw a chimp mascot, while there are no such pictures for Dragons. Each dragon that it drawn is a figment of the artist's imagination.

Looking at it form an artist's perspective, there are many more options available to us with the monkey than there are with a dragon. It would be much easier to put a chimp into a flash 'toon or a comic than a dragon, simply because they can interact with humans better, being in the same size range.

um...yeah.

[/rant]

EDIT: am I the only one that finds dragons totally cliche and overused in almost every part of human creativity?

Thankee Hunter. But, I'll go with whatever is decided.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue May 02, 2006 7:03 pm
sabradan says...

In honor of the U of I, who thanks to the NCAA will probably have to chance their mascot (lame), I propose the following mascot:
Chief Illiniwek
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue May 02, 2006 9:53 pm
-KayJuran- says...

I think it should either be an owl or a chimp.

Owl. Symbolises wisdom etc. Would be pretty cool reading a book.

Chimp. Can be made slightly more comical. Pretty much *is* YWS.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue May 02, 2006 10:22 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

I like the owl idea. It's generic, recognizable, and fits the site. A dragon, though cool, is a bit overused and may lead a casual onlooker into thinking the site focusses on fantasy, which is certainly not the case. I kinda like the stack of books in the upper left hand corner thats already there, but an owl would also be cool. The trick would be the pose.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue May 02, 2006 11:00 pm
Ego says...

I really dislike the idea of a dragon for our mascot...who's gonna draw our mascot anyway?
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue May 02, 2006 11:04 pm
Galatea says...

I would definitly try my hand at mascoting...but I refuse to draw a dragon. I like the chimp idea! (well, I like the squid idea, but nobody seemed to agree with me...)
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue May 02, 2006 11:21 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I rather like the squid idea!

I'd go squid of monkey.. or both.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 02, 2006 11:30 pm
Nate says...

What I'm going to do is have a second vote that includes some other animal suggestions (such as the octopus, owl, lizard, etc.). Then there'll be a third vote with the top three or four. If none get 50%, then a fourth vote between the leading two. Hopefully it won't take too long... I like to get at least 100 votes before doing a new poll.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue May 02, 2006 11:41 pm
Snoink says...

Galatea wrote:I would definitly try my hand at mascoting...but I refuse to draw a dragon. I like the chimp idea! (well, I like the squid idea, but nobody seemed to agree with me...)

Are you kidding? That squid is adorable!

One of the best things about the squid is that it squirts out... ink. Which is a very writerly thing. So I am torn between the two. XD
Last edited by Snoink on Tue May 02, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue May 02, 2006 11:41 pm
BustedFlush says...

I think an owl would be a good choice.

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Wed May 03, 2006 12:19 am
View Likes
Teeeeo. says...

CHIMP! CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMPP!!!!

I dun know...
I just wanna see a chimp wiv glasses writing somefin on a piece of paper... Maybe even put somefin random as the paper's title ie. How To Draw Chimps in Completely Impossible Ways... xD

But yeah, we need a mascot!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed May 03, 2006 1:23 am
Areida says...

No dragons, no cats, no dogs, and no owls. They're all waaaaay overdone.

I'm for the monkey, that flippin' awesome squid, or like Brad said, A KANGAROOOOOOO!!!

Dragons? Pshaw.

Though I wouldn't complain if it ended up being a llama or a penguin. :P OR A RUTABAGA! *busts up laughing* Long story... sorry...
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed May 03, 2006 1:23 am
Cassandra says...

Snoink wrote:
Galatea wrote:I would definitly try my hand at mascoting...but I refuse to draw a dragon. I like the chimp idea! (well, I like the squid idea, but nobody seemed to agree with me...)

Are you kidding? That squid is adorable!

One of the best things about the squid is that it squirts out... ink. Which is a very writerly thing. So I am torn between the two. XD

Oooh, that's a good point. Monkey or squid, I say!
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed May 03, 2006 3:30 am
View Likes
WarthogDemon says...

Dragons are cool, plus I'm looking at the font the club name is and I'm thinking that the dragon will go best with it.

have u ever noticed how ugly rosy-lipped batfish r? and not like in the “aw ur so ugly ur cute” way that like opossums r — no they’re just hideously ugly beasts that should never have existed and r the epitome of evolution fails. the stupidity, blank look, head emptiness. they’re horrible n everyone who likes them r horrible too. they truly have the worst fan-base >:[
— Shady