60%

Total votes : 509

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:41 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Most people have a reason why they read a certain book. What makes you pick up a book you haven't read before? How do you choose it?
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:01 pm
View Likes
Jas says...

I know that it's frowned upon, but I normally pick up a book based on a cool cover or interesting title. :) A lot of times, I read books from reccomendations though.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:45 pm
View Likes
writerwithacause says...

Being also a visual artist, I admit *feels guilty* that I've bought books for their covers. This will not happen to me anymore, though. I've learnt from my mistakes. Now I just buy books whose genre and plot appeal to me. I do a lot of research before buying a book, in order to not make a mistake. I also buy books that friends of mine with similar taste recommend to me.

As for best-sellers, I tend to run away from them. Most of the them are not what I'm interested in.
Julie, a sucker for romance, historical fashion, medieval fairs and blues music. Add photography and you already know me 50%. The rest of me you'll discover through my writings and my photos.

my fictionpress
my greatest project, a history-inspired romance

Reviews: 4
Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:11 pm
View Likes
midnightpoet21 says...

Usually it's the cover art that attracts me enough to pick it up, but I won't get the book unless the plot interests me as well. I've been known to go to a library and not leave with a book because nothing interested me that day.
I'm smiling, that alone should scare you.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:13 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

I picked "Classic" because they're generally free on the Kindle and I am a cheapo and too lazy to go to the library. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:47 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

I picked the genre one! When I go book shopping, I immediately venture into the fantasy and sci-fi sections 'cause I know I enjoy those. And, admittedly, a lot of the summaries on the back sound really interesting to me. I have to limit myself to two or three books so I don't buy an entire shelf!
I make my own policies.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:50 pm
View Likes
captain.classy says...

Definitely genre. Fantasy for the win!

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:23 pm
View Likes
SmylinG says...

This was a tough one for me. I read books based on so many different things. I've picked up Wuthering Heights because it was a classic. I'm itching to read some James Patterson because he has so many great books out, therefore mostly because I like the author. I've picked up bestsellers, but mostly I'm very into particular genres. So I picked genre. It sums up everything for me best. :D
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:25 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

For me, it's usually because it's either by an author I like or because someone recommended it to me. But lately, I'm a lot like Snoink! With the Kindle, I get tons of classic e-books for free, so I've been catching up on those.

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:25 pm
View Likes
charcoalspacewolfman says...

A lot of the time it'll be the aesthetics or the author. Sometimes, It'll be by recommendation, but then only if someone gives me the book.
HMS Tragedy?! We should-we should have known!!!

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 am
View Likes
earendil says...

I used to read based on genre, but after reading certain books that just seriously hit home, not all books impress me as easily anymore. Lately I just read when my friends recommend a series/books they really like. Fortunately their judgement hasn't failed me so far. :P

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:53 am
View Likes
ForsakenAngel says...

I chose that it was recommended to me, but only because I didn't see the option to choose "because the cover looks cool" xD
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:07 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Mostly recommendations from friends, family, the internet, newspapers, reviews, etc.

But also classics I think I might like, and well-known books from genres I enjoy. I also like picking up a book I know nothing about and trying it every so often so my reading doesn't get stale.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:07 pm
View Likes
JoyceSparrows says...

Yay classics! I LOVE them.
From experience I have learned that you can indeed judge a book by its cover...
If I weren't going to be a writer I'd go to New York and pursue the stage. Are you shocked?

-Little Women

You have the itch for writing born in you. It's quite incurable. What are you going to do with it?

― L.M. Montgomery

Review my new poem! Mayflowers

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:22 pm
View Likes
airforcegirl says...

normally i just pick up random books, i go to the library a lot so whatever sticks out, but i always go back to my favorite authors and see if there is anything i havent read!
Air force!

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson