z

Young Writers Society

What do you think of the new pay-for-posts policy?

What do you think of the new pay-for-posts policy introduced in Randomness and The Lounge?

Love it
12%
Like it
7%
It's okay
25%
Annoying, I just want to post what I want
28%
Hate it, it's stupid
16%
Pat Buchanan
12%

Total votes : 122

Random avatar

Reviews: 99
Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:41 am
Niamh says...

I think it is a great idea, because maybe people will focus more on the writing/critique part of the site.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:46 pm
View Likes
Sophie says...

I think it's a good idea actually. At first I thought, well I don't really care about how many points I have, more worried about posts. But now I've realised that your point count represents how much you're worth as a member.

So next time I see some wasting newbie with a high post count but hardly any points, I'll know exactly where they stand.

It is a slight shame though, since randomness runs my life, but this is a writing site. People need to bear that in mind and I think this system will make them, at least a little more.
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:30 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

So it seems almost half don't mind the change.

However, quite a large minority don't like it.

And some people don't care.

I've already seen the effects ... whenever I used to look in the recent posts link, it was full of Randomness/Lounge posts. Now I see mostly comments on stories and poems. Well done people!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:11 pm
Sophie says...

Woo! *basks in praise... even if it's not really mine.....*
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:30 am
Elizabeth says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:
The Black Rose wrote:Leave it to the Americans to put a price on:
time
air
heat
food
a house
people

and now, freedome of speech in the lounge and randomess? BOO!!!

It was the Brits that started taxation without representation.

DARGH to the Brits then! But DARGH the US for not trying harder to stop it! :P

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:33 am
Mattie says...

Bobo wrote:I do think that it's rather unfair that just because some of us have been here longer, we have a buttload more points than newbies. Really, only the new members are affected by this at all...

If they critique though, which is really what this site is made to do, it shouldn't be such a problem. We need to focus on critiquing more than anything. It's good to have a "Lounge" forum with fun stuff to do and take a break from writing, but like someone said, when I used to come on to see what was up, most of the more recent posted in topics were in the Lounge. Having the points make it to where there's a balance between work and play. Like Nate has done, they are given points to start out with. It's just like money: spend it wisely.

I really don't have a problem with it, but I think if it could be applied to after you make one post, it would be more efficent. Like you post a topic and/or comment a day for free, the rest are to be paid for if you make anymore. I really don't make more than that a day.

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:22 am
View Likes
Torpid says...

Well i really dont care if i lose ten points even tho i dont have that many BUT what is the point?
AND, about the euryoon dollar thingies, i say NEY to that.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:52 pm
View Likes
backgroundbob says...

Since we *have* a forum for spamming, effectively, I'm not really sure why we bothered with this. If YWS were an entirely writing-oriented site, and we were having trouble with people screwing around in writing threads, fine. But since this place is partly about community, and there's a seperate section for 'random chat...' why is this important?

Waste of time, if you ask me.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:00 pm
View Likes
Eyes says...

:evil: THOSE points could be spent on more important things like games and ....games .....

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:37 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Or saved to beat others on the insanely difficult points scale.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:39 am
View Likes
Armadian says...

We have to pay to be random and relax. That doesnt go good with me.
How can you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist...

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:13 pm
Nate says...

backgroundbob wrote:
Waste of time, if you ask me.

If you don't like it, leave. A lot of the time I think it's a waste of money to keep this site alive so that some members can make those kind of comments.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:31 pm
Ego says...

I agree, Nate...I hate to see you so stressed out about all this, but I think you're right.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:27 pm
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

i think it's a great idea; as firestarter also said, it's quite noticable when you look in the most recent topics section. and this is a writing site - if you want to play games instead, fair enough, just do it on a games site instead.

i wouldn't agree with getting rid of the social areas altogether though - it's definately important to get to know your fellow writers! :P

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:52 pm
Kaggsy says...

I think it's good. It'll make people think a bit more before they post something, to see how strong their opinion really is. I think it'll help me critique more as well.
available

Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop