z

Young Writers Society

The University of Soul Extermination (Started/Closed)

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:58 pm
View Likes
Craz says...

Eleanor Alger | Fox

Eleanor watched the feeble old woman wobble around the bulking wooden desk at the front of the class, paying no mind to the talkative youngsters that were haphazardly sprawled across the back of the room, some at least attempting respect by sitting in the chairs that had desks. Liver spots adorned her arthritic hands, and wispy white hair floated about her withered forehead. In an uncharacteristically graceful movement, the old woman suddenly lifted herself up onto the front of the desk, so she was just on the edge of it, her feet crossed in front of her. She clapped once, looking around at her students with a charmingly unique twinkle in her eyes.

"Well, well well! Looks like you survived your first year here." She said with good humor. The talking behind Ella gradually fizzled out. "I am Miss Grover, and you may address me any way you want. As for you, I will eventually learn who you are. Oh, and don't feel bad if I have trouble remembering your names - my memory can get a little spacey at times."

She popped off of the desk, slowly walking over to an adjacent door. "Now, who would like to follow me into my special room?"

A loud catastrophe of boisterous voices from the more outspoken guys howled out excited answers, smuggling out a few giggles afterwards. The old woman smiled, patiently waiting for them to calm down. She didn't officially say for them to follow her, but after reaching for the outdated handle, teenagers hoisted themselves down from the back counter tops and weaved through abandoned desks to follow her. Ella followed a short distance behind them.

Turns out the other room wasn't really a room; well, not technically. A large skeleton of metal framing held up clean-cut green glass, and rows upon rows of tall, short, dangerous and flowered plants grew freely. On two walls of the greenhouse, questionable equipment, hooks and tubes hung in stations. On the wall to Eleanor's left, however, drew her eye immediately.

Where the green glass should have been, beautiful colored glass glowed and cast intertwining colors onto the floor and nearby plants. The glass was skillfully placed into an image, or rather a symbol, though Ella couldn't guess what it stood for. Intricate pictures framed around the symbol, but her attention was pulled away by Miss Grover's voice before she could start asking questions.

"This here is what is called a jewelweed; the crushed leaves of the jewelweed can be used on poison, ivy, and rashes; this poultice also works for cuts, burns, bug-bites, sprains, warts and ringworm. Juice from the stems also can be applied to poison ivy. However: this plant, if applied wrong, could make you deathly ill, or be fatal. We will be learning the right way-" She gave a lighthearted look towards a group of rowdy Wolves, which snickered, "- to apply and effectively use this."

She was holding an unimpressive looking weed in a pot, with a bright yellow and orange flower curling over the lip. With effective hands she plucked a few dark leaves, plopped them into a mortar and pestle waiting by her side, and she began to grind. She held it away from her, stirring in water, to let the Twos bend over pots to see clearly.

"Would anyone like to volunteer?" Miss Grover asked. After a uncertain pause, a very tall figure slunk to the front, silver hair swinging, dark skin contrasting brightly. She towered over the bijou woman, but Miss Grover seemed unfazed. She whipped out a wickedly thin dagger, elegantly plain, and gently held the girl's hand.

"What is your name, child?" Miss Grover asked.

"Kaiya Blackfire."

"Kaiya, I'm going to need you to make a small cut on your wrist for me. Not too deep, not too light. Could you do that?"

The girl nodded, and Miss Grover folded the dagger in Kaiya's hand. The class had gone quiet, uncertain and jarred by this uncharacteristic favor from a professor. Pausing over the skin, Kaiya glanced once at the teacher, and then sliced into her wrist. Bright blood rose to pour over the lip of the cut, but neither the professor or the student moved to stop the flow. Miss Grover took out a sponge to begin applying the mixture in the bowl.

"After mixing it correctly, apply it evenly to the cut. However, do not put too much on, or that is when it becomes lethal. The best way to know how much to put is if you can still see the wound through the mixture, and that it must cover the entire wound."

Seeming satisfied, she reached into her smock to pull out a roll of gauze and cotton, dressing the girl's wound accordingly. She patted Kaiya on the shoulder, smiling warmly, and then turned to the rest of her class. She spotted a Tiger raising his hand, and nodded in his direction.

"Why do we need to learn this stuff? I mean, doesn't the Antidote basically do that for almost anything?" That was what Ella was thinking too. The Antidote, a universal cure that was injected into the bloodstream, had been invented ten years back, able to heal and cure any minor injuries and ailments without hiccups. It had been opened to the public's general use eight years ago, and basically replaced most medicines. Now they were focusing on a second version that could handle the more fatal illnesses, but there hadn't been any major accomplishments in years.

Miss Grover smiled. "That, dear one, will not matter if you are lost in the middle of nowhere with no medical kit and help far, far away. On a much lighter note, I like the old ways better."

With that, she addressed the rest of the class. "You will be learning how to correctly make and identify the jewelweed, so please report to one of the stations on the far walls in groups of two. And no cutting yourselves."

The class thinned and broke off, and Eleanor ornery glanced around, looking for someone to pair with. She met eyes with a girl with flaming hair, who raised her eyebrows in suggestion and Ella nodded. They both walked off to a station, awkwardly introducing themselves on the way.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:02 pm
AlmondEyes says...

Kaiya

Spoiler! :
Get your butts in gear, you guys, and you know who i'm talking to!! @piepiemann22, @BrooklynWriter, @ReisePiecey ,@AdventurerDaniel, @Demora, @Craz, @Auxiira, @Jony, @Dakushau, @TinyJarStoredDreams, @PenAndSword, @shinethroughthedark, @kat13254, @Kanome, @Inkpot

While we were sitting in class, I idly watched as our teacher hobbled about on her clunky wooden desk to the front of the room, paying no mind to the half brained adolescents who weren't even trying to pay heed of her, slouching like they were easing back in a Laz-y-boy recliner instead of a school desk. Others were gabbing away like Turkeys behind me, and I was about ready to stuff them. Idiots. Too bad it's not Thanksgiving The thought made me smirk.

A piece of her old pale hair fell out of place as she propped herself up against the corner of the desk, crossing her ankles together and clapping her hands. The Turkeys behind me finally closed their beaks. "Well, well well! Looks like you survived your first year here." She said with good humor.

"I am Miss Grover, and you may address me any way you want. As for you, I will eventually learn who you are. Oh, and don't feel bad if I have trouble remembering your names - my memory can get a little spacey at times."

I nodded Dually noted.She popped off of the desk, slowly walking over to an adjacent door. "Now, who would like to follow me into my special room?"

A loud boom of rambunctious boys from the more outspoken, or in my opinion, more like jackassed Turkeys, roared in excitement, pulling a few giggles from the ditzes in the room. When we got to the room, turns out it wasn't really a room. It was a green house. Clean cut grass flowed around rows of plants of all shapes sizes, colors, and different properties freely adorned the entire place.

To one side of the Green house held some weird ass looking gardening equpiment, but the other side was another story. Where the glass would have been, there was a lovely multi-colored glass that Luminesced exquisite patterns on the floor, throwing interweaving colors onto everything. Everyone's attention was pulled by the sound of Miss Grover's voice.

"This here is what is called a jewelweed; the crushed leaves of the jewelweed can be used on poison, ivy, and rashes; this poultice also works for cuts, burns, bug-bites, sprains, warts and ringworm. Juice from the stems also can be applied to poison ivy. However: this plant, if applied wrong, could make you deathly ill, or be fatal. We will be learning the right way-" She gave a lighthearted look towards a group of roisterous Wolves, who snickered, "- to apply and effectively use this."

She was holding a dull looking weed in a pot, with a bright yellow and orange flower curling over the lip. With effective hands she popped off a few dark leaves, plopped them into a mortar and pestle waiting by her side, and she began to grind. She held it away from her, stirring in water, to let the Twos bend over pots to see clearly.

"Would anyone like to volunteer?" Miss Grover asked.

Silence was her answer as I looked around. What? None of the rowdy boys from earlier wanna whoop and holler like retarded Turkey now? Yea. Just like I thought.

With an eye roll, I made my way toward where Miss Grover was standing. She whipped out a wickedly thin dagger, elegantly plain, and gently held my hand.

"What is your name, child?" Miss Grover asked.

"Kaiya Blackfire," I answer automatically.

"Kaiya, I'm going to need you to make a small cut on your wrist for me. Not too deep, not too light. Could you do that?" she craned her head to look up at me.

I nodded, and Miss Grover folded the dagger into my hand. A stillness settled over the entire class, uncertain. Pausing over the skin, the cool tip of the blade settling there, glanced once at the teacher, and then sliced into my wrist, the cold tip of the blade and the sting making my fingers tingle. I didn't really feel the pain, though. I'd learned how to block it out long ago. Bright blood rose to pour over the lip of the cut, but neither I or the professor moved to stop the flow. Miss Grover took out a sponge to begin applying the mixture in the bowl.

"After mixing it correctly, apply it evenly to the cut. However, do not put too much on, or that is when it becomes lethal. The best way to know how much to put is if you can still see the wound through the mixture, and that it must cover the entire wound." she informed.

Seeming satisfied, she reached into her smock to pull out a roll of gauze and cotton, dressing the wound accordingly. She patted me on the shoulder, smiling warmly, which threw me for a moment because no one had ever smiled at me before, and then turned to the rest of her class. She spotted a Tiger raising his hand, and nodded in his direction.

"Why do we need to learn this stuff? I mean, doesn't the Antidote basically do that for almost anything?" he asked.

I'd thought about that too, but I already knew the answer to that question.

Miss Grover smiled. "That, dear one, will not matter if you are lost in the middle of nowhere with no medical kit and help far, far away. On a much lighter note, I like the old ways better."

With that, she addressed the rest of the class. "You will be learning how to correctly make and identify the jewelweed, so please report to one of the stations on the far walls in groups of two. And no cutting yourselves."

Everyone moved to pair off and began heading over to the stations, except for me. I didn't know anyone in this class, and I wasn't the best at making new friends. Miss Grover walked over to me.

"A tad stuck, my dear?" a concerned frown forms on her old and weathered face.

"Something like that." I scratch my head awkwardly.

Miss Grover opened her mouth to say something, but she was interrupted by a commotion behind her.

"Watch where the hell you're going, Rat. I would hate for there to be cause for a needless mess." some guy spits towards the girl standing in front of him, smirking ever so slightly with the conclusion of the final sentence.

He looked some what familiar, but nothing clicked in my head.

The girl lowered her head, hair tipping into her eyes, and mumbled a flustered apology. The guy, unsatisfied, spouted out a stream of angry words as he stood over the poor Rat, and that's when I'd had enough. Stepping between the two, I plant myself in the guy's view.

"Why don't you take a step back," I suggest. "I would hate for there to be cause for a needless mess."

A slight grin spread across the guy's face as he heard his own words thrown back at him. He opened his sly mouth to speak again, but a gentle hand on both of our arms startled us out of our initial anger.

"Now now, children," she said. The word "children" held an extra meaning that had me narrowing my eyes. "There will be no fighting in my classroom. Now please, Mr...?"

The guy continued to glare at me. "Kalvak."

"Mr. Kalvak, please apologize to this nice young lady. There is no shame in belonging to the Rat Order."

He gave her an agitated look to see if the old woman was serious.

Sighing he said, "I know this, Miss Grover. In fact, most of my friends are Rats."

"I call bull," I scoff. "with an attitude like yours, I bet nobody likes your ass."

"Well, where are all of your friends that are lining up to be your partner!"

"I don't have any," I say nonchalantly with a shrug."but at least I don't lie about the friends I don't have like you do. I'm not afraid to admit what others can't."

"Hey now, calm you two! Mister Kalvak, apologize to her." Her tone was sharp, unexpected coming out of such a frail body.

He glared, his lips tight, and turned his scorching gaze onto the Rat girl, whom had been nervously glancing around, and now tensed.I stepped into his line of sight again, daring him to give me the same look.

"I am terribly sorry." He utters, still not entirely apologetic. "It was never really your fault."

The girl nodded, glancing between them, and then scurried off to join the others. Figuring the conversation was over, I moved to leave, and so did Kalvak, but Miss Grover tightened her grip on our elbows.

"And you two- since neither of you have partners, why don't you two work together?" At the same time, Kalvak and I voiced our protests, but Miss Grover kept talking, drowning us out.

"... and while you are working, you can resolve your differences. Who knows? You might have more in common than you think." She knowingly smiled up at us, shooing us over to the last table, the only one littered with dirt and stains. Great.

"Great. Well isn't this lovely," Kalvak muttered.

"Almost as lovely as working with you," I mutter through clenched teeth.

"You speak for us both." He remarks back at me, smiling a little as he speaks.

I couldn't hide the Infinitesimal smile as I rolled my eyes at him.
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

“I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451