z

Young Writers Society

Harmony High - Sequel

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:03 pm
Nike says...

Oliver Hemingway

I was being an idiot. Why had I called Kristin? That was a waste of my time. Plus, I had never split with Lacey.

There was no breakup, just a parting of ways. And I should say this, she's over me by now. I am sure she has found a nice chap and is planning to break up with me at any given moment. And I will not be surprised.

As if the world heard my thoughts, my phone rang and Lacey's face flashed on the screen. Her beautiful eyes, and soft smile. I answered it.

"Oliver," I said.

"Hey Oliver, it's Lacey..." she paused, the tension got thick. "I... we have to see each other... it's Emmett..."

"What happened?" I was already slipping on my coat.

"He's, regaining memories. The bad ones, about Jane. I need you now."

It wasn't a good scene. Emmett was sitting on his bed, clutching a picture of him and Jane. It happened to be one I took at one of our house parties. She was smiling, her eyes smiling along with her. And Emmett was looking at her, the way he looked at her was a way no one has ever looked at her. It was pure love. He wanted to take care of her, show her she was more than she thought she was.

It reminded me of her shaken body, on my bed. She was clutching the TV remote, scanning the channels, unable to find something to suit her crying mind. That's how I left her just now. Her mother was there to take care.

"She cheated on me. She was a horrible person." he huffed.

I looked over at Emmett. His lips were twitching and his eyes were filled with rage. It was like he was Peeta being brainwashed to hate Katniss.

"She thought she was special. That selfish, bitch. I was nothing. All I did is help her, love her. And all she did is take advantage of me." I couldn't stand that fact that his voice was venomous. "Why would I be with someone like her? Was I blind?"

Both of us stood silent as he spoke. I felt around for Lacey's hand, then found it, wrapping my fingers around hers. She squeezed for a second, sending tingles down my arm.

"Emm, it's not like that." I huffed, walking towards him. "She's... she needs you."

He looked over at me, and I couldn't believe that his face could send off so many emotions. It was anger rippling off his straight face. It made my body shake.

"I don't need her."

And that's when I knew Emmett was gone and he will never come back.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

267 Reviews

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:58 pm
Nike says...

Jane Wills

Luna was some random help. She was new to my life, sort of. And we never really spoke to each other. She sorta made me happy. It was a new person that didn't know me, I didn't know her. It's a small new start to life.

"Hey, Jane..." I heard a familiar voice come from behind me.

I turned my head and saw Luna. She looked a little out of breath as she reached me, slinging her backpack over her shoulder.

"Hey, Luna." I smiled, remembering about the day before. "What's up?"

"Oh, just wanted to see how you are. Any better?"

I simply nodded, a little surprised by her small concern. She smiled back and we were silent for a few moments.

"You wanna hang out or something? Coffee?" I asked.

She was taken aback for a second, standing still. And then she nodded back, "Sounds great. Starbucks or Jack's Cafe?"

"Doesn't matter, nearest one."

We were at Jack's, a small coffee place that everyone went to. It was either this, or the Starbucks that mostly tourists went to. I stopped by there only if I was too lazy to walk the extra block here.

"You gotta learn some self defense girl." Luna smiled. "It will save your life."

"Yeah... that's not gonna happen. Don't you see how thin I am?" I laughed.

She shook her head, laughing as well. "Don't say that... you can do..." she was cut off by two guys walking up to us.

One was eyeing me while the other was licking his lips at Luna. They both looked to be in college and both were insanely attractive.

"Hey girls..." the guy eyeing me said.

He had jet black hair, styled up. And his eyes were a blue that reminded me of the sea. Shaving was only not his priority because he had a five o'clock after shave lining his jaw. But their presence made my body shake.

"You two look slammin', wanna join us at a party?" the other guy asked.

Luna had rolled her eyes at him. His long brown hair hit his shoulders, his attire resembling the free will attitude. He had on a long hoodie and skinny jeans.

"We are fine, thanks." Luna replied, her voice thick.

"Oh, no... come on. You aren't having fun. Let's go."

"Seriously guys, we are good." I said this time.

They both looked at me, smirking. It's like they were reading my mind. And my mind was telling me WARNING! WARNING! RAPE ALERT!

Luna stood up to their height, eyeing the both of them. She had a hard look on her face, one that said they'd soon be dead if they didn't leave us alone. The long haired one ran his hand through his hair as her looked back at her.

"We are good, thanks guys. Now leave." she said.

"Oh, come on. Cool off. We just wanted to have some fun! Come on, Katniss?" the black haired guy looked over at me.

I rose an eyebrow. Katniss? Oh, my hair, it was in a long braid. His eyes, those blues were now filled with temptation.

"No, goodbye." I huffed.

They both shook their heads and stormed off out of the cafe. Luna sat back down, smiling proudly at me.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:00 am
Sunshine says...

Taylor James

Right.

So.

Um.

Right.

I'm trying to accurately and articulately describe my feelings towards having a totally hot girl who isn't on the internet act like she's into me. Like, I've had girls into me, I'm not saying I haven't; it's just that Kristen is so real in her beauty, and actually here. She hasn't even heard me sing yet, and she still thinks I'm cool.

Right. So. Um.

Skating was fun, though my feet probably have red blisters plastered across them. I'm actually way more nervous, and rightfully so, to go and be introduced to important people in her life. That seems fast, but I can't argue with it. I also feel like I should be dressed nicer than my fall-down scrap pants, like bow tie time, but I don't have enough direction to do anymore than follow her straight her cousin's house.

Oh, and what a nice house it was.

I'm upper middle-class, due to the fact that my Dad is an Engineer. This was a bit beyond this, actually. Bordering on 'we're rich' type, but without being overly stuffy about it.

Kristen smiles at me as I park, and I follow her into house.

I'm really surprised that the first thing she does is yell. "AVE! I'M BACK, AND I BROUGHT A BOY."

I feel a little pleasurable blush creep up my cheeks. Kristen's call is a pretty great summoning, because another young woman bustles down the staircase to the right. She doesn't look much like her cousin, her skin ebony and curls buoyant, but she's still got that beauty. Her head tips to the side when she see's me, and she gets close enough so I can feel her breathe on my cheek, close enough so that she can pinch those cheeks.

"Hmm. This one's new, but approved. Come on, then, you've got a little bit until dinner."

I rub my cheek, as her thin little fingers had actually kind of hurt. I almost expect Kristen to apologize, but she only laughs, taking my arm. She really likes to touch, I've actually noticed that, the way her skin is smooth on my arm.

"That's Avery. My cousin is crazy, but that's why I like her. She's been a great friend to me."

"You like crazy? Hey, I guess you've come to the right place, depending on your preferred variation. "

"I like a little bit of everything." She says, letting go of my arm with a wink.

The kitchen is a homey space compared to the rest of the house, and Avery is bustling in and out of rooms shouting to her fiancé. She's a little young to be engaged, I think, but I wouldn't ruin a chance with a girl by saying so. Happiness of the infinite sort can come early, I guess.

Avery suddenly stops her hurrying to interrogate me as soon as I sit down. "So who is New Boy?"

"I'm Taylor James."

"School?"

"Harmony. I'm a senior."

"Extracurricular activities?"

"Avery!" Kristen interrupts. "Leave him be! He's all clear."

Avery lights up with a smile, a smile so bright I almost get blinded. What in the world am I getting into? I don't know, but I sort of like it.

"Almost spotless, by the looks of it. Wow." Avery whispers something to Kristen, who rolls her eyes. "Dinner should be ready soon. LEO?"

A male voice yells back, gently as one can yell. "Yeah, Ave, just come help me serve it."

Avery hurries away, and Kristen and I are alone. Kristen is tense n the way she holds her self next to me, but she continues on like she isn't. Avery and a shaggy-haired fellow brings out the food.

"Oh, that smells great!" I exclaim.

Kristen elbows me. "I told you!"

I smile back at her, but my eyes are mainly on the food, the piles of rice and vegetables looking like delicacies after the Winter.

And everything is beautiful.

Weird ending, no more time. Will pot for Emmett/Lacey later, maybe?
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

131 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 am
Sunshine says...

Emmett Lopez

I'm alone so much.

I put on my red hunting cap Lacey bought me for my seventeenth birthday for awhile, pacing around the house and hoping it would make me feel better.

Lacey was coming home. She promised to come see me. I guess she loves me or something. Maybe she does. I don't know if anybody loves me anymore.

Pictures of Jane are easy to find, compared to pictures of everyone else. I think of her after the accident. She was there for me, but only until it looked like I wouldn't remember her, only until it started to hurt. Why? Why? I was always there for her, even when her past drove a stake through my heart like I was the enemy. Why did she leave me?

All the pictures I lay my hands on end up crumpled, every person I know lying on the floor.

I take off the hat, and embrace the hollowness.

I put on the lonely music, and let it play.

[Lacey finds me in this state, though I don't remember what was such a big deal about my hollowness. Wasn't she the same way after Hakan broke up with her? I am lost, too, so lost. She seems worried. She calls someone.]

She was a good kisser, and she swore that she loved me, and I guess I loved her. She kissed more guys than just me. She had sex with guys that weren't me.

Was she a whore?

I guess so. Why did I love her? Why did I help her? In photos, I cannot see more than that, cannot peel away at any layers through my shortsightedness.

It is Oliver. Oliver is Lacey's boyfriend. They are holding hands, but is she good to him? Is he good to her? Again, I do not know.

I speak, for once, my mind. "She cheated on me. She was a horrible person. She thought she was special. That selfish bitch!. I was nothing. All I did is help her, love her. And all she did is take advantage of me. Why would I be with someone like her? Was I blind?"

Why isn't she around? She is always around, we are always around.

"Emm, it's not like that." Oliver, ever the expert in my affairs, saunters towards me. "She's... she needs you."

She clutches tightly to my arm like I am her lifeboat, and I let her. I've always liked helping people. Is she a charity project? I think she may have started off that way...but I loved her, and she did not change.

"I don't need her."

It is fact, obviously, by the way Oliver twitches his face and Lacey frowns. It has always been an extreme game, always pulled in her favor.

I don't need her.

I need anybody.

My memories run together like water. Lacey is a cute baby, but a child with problems. Her best friend is Hakan. They date as soon as our parent's allow them to. We move, and they try to stick together, but fail. Lacey hates it here, but I like it. Taylor James and Ace and Alex are all very interesting. Ace brings Lacey out of her room to laugh, sometimes. I go through school, meet a girl name Jane. I like Jane, and try to save her,

but
Jane
drowns

I try to get Oliver and Kristen and Will and Allen to help me, but they are so caught up in their own problems they don't even notice. I try to drown with her, but my sister saves me. I don't know why me, but she does. They all help and tend to me, but keep an eye on the water.

"Emmett..." Oliver starts, but Lacey holds him back in her own warm grasp.

She whispers heatedly to him, and I only hear clips of it. 'I...don't... what to do? Jane is...problems... instead of helping. He remembers, I know... I just don't think... matters. I feel... useless. Thanks for coming, though, I mean... I... to see you too."

Oliver nods, kissing Lacey on the cheek. I feel sick.

"What do you remember?" He asks.

"Everything. Everything that matters, I think."

"Then you know that we're here for you, Emmett. Even if it doesn't seem like it, we're here for you, okay?"

The photo in my hand falls to the floor.

I need newness. All of this ancient is hurting my stomach. Newness would help. All these people hurt like a finger on a record player.

"Do you guys know anybody I could talk to?"
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

267 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:00 am
Nike says...

Oliver Hemingway
Spoiler! :
I just want to let everyone know, I will not be posting for William for a long while. So do not include him into any posts unless you ask me first!

Who could he talk to? I knew at least a few people... but these were people he knew as well. And what Lacey said, I believe maybe he should talk to Jane. Figure things out, no? It's a healthy decision.

"There is one person I know you could talk to... a bartender." I made a small joke.

A smile pinched on Lacey's face but Emmett just shook his head. I felt a deep longing to help him, he's a good guy. All he ever did in his life is go around and help. And sometimes, you should just stop doing that. Being too nice doesn't get you anywhere and that's what he does.

"Uhm, Emmett... do you want to just go out for a bit? Take in some fresh air?" Lacey's voice was soft.

"Yeah... alone. I'll, I'll go alone." he sighed.

He stood up from his bed, running his hands through his hair. I stepped out of his way so he could walk out of the room. But before he did, he looked at Lacey. It's like they had some secret sibling language, cause she nodded in reply, a soft smile shaping her face. Than, he stepped through the door and started his way down the stairs.

"Is he gonna be alright?" I asked.

She just pulls my hand, taking me to her bedroom. Once we walk into her room. She walked to her window, looking out through it. The amazing part of her room was that she had the perfect view of the little lake in Harmony called Fresh Oak. I believe they weren't very creative with those names.

"Do you think Jane will ever get over herself?" she sighed.

Her words made my skin prickle. "Excuse me?" I could hear the soft harshness snap off my voice.

She turned to look at me, a blush rising in her cheeks.

"She's always... on about herself. And Emmett is in need..."

I shook my head, not believing the words she wasn't saying. It's what's between the words that I caught.

"Jane got raped. Do you understand that? She's extremely unlucky and it sucks that she can only care about herself because of how hard it is for her, but that is what she has to do. She wants to help Emmett, but right now she is hurt! I thought you would understand." I huffed.

"I thought you would understand that Jane over reacts!" she yelled through her clenched teeth.

I felt my heart stop in that moment, tears growing behind my eyes. "You're a bitch." I paused, the silence growing. "You know she was hurt. You cannot say she is over reacting."

"Oh yes I can. I know her Oliver."

All I could do now was stand silent, letting her speak herself out, But she just did the same. Our eyes met which made my stomach flip. I loved her, but now... she was breaking my heart and I knew I was breaking hers.

"Lacey, we can't be together anymore."

267 Reviews

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57 am
Nike says...

Jane Wills

It was just me and the TV. That's all there was. I was in Oliver's room. He let me sleep with him for the past few nights. My mother had to go on a family emergency to France. And since... everything, she wanted me to go. But Oliver told her I should stay, school and he would take care of me. She trusted him like her own son, so it was good.

But all I wanted to do was see Emmett. Talk to Emmett. My Emmett. Not the one that's there now. I want him to regain his memory. I want to fight about the breakup and then get back together. That's all I want.

Is that too much to ask for? Is it too much to want him back?

If Will can regain from a coma, he can regain from memory loss. Emmett is an amazing guy and right now, I need him. I need him so much.

"Jane! I came home! Got some of that buffalo chicken pizza." Oliver called out.

I sat up in the bed, clutching the blanket around me. He walked into the bedroom and I knew something was off right away. His eyes were red and his demeanor seemed all down. He walked over to the bed, sitting down next to me and opening the pizza box.

"Oli, what's going on?" he knew that I could tell.

All he did is scoot up next to me, folding the blanket over himself. His focus was on the TV and the pizza in his hand.

"Oliver." I urged.

"It's nothing Jane," his voice was tough, sending shivers down my spine.

I backed away for a moment, just looking at him. He was all loose ends. His cheeks were red and it was like his mind was throwing thoughts at him like bullets. I knew Oliver like he knew me and there was something terribly wrong.

"You broke up with Lacey, didn't you? And it's my fault." I said softly.

A huff came from his lips. And there it was, I cracked him. The way his head fell, and his shoulders slouched just showed how down he felt.

"It's not your fault..." he sighed. "We just had different opinions about all of this. It was a horrible argument. She wouldn't give up saying that..." and he looked at me. It was about me. They broke up over me. That sorrow in his eyes did not get him far. "She said you were a slut Janey. She said you didn't care about Emmett and just cared about yourself. No matter how many times I told her she was wrong..." I cut him off.

"No," I felt the tears sting my eyes. "She was right."

He pulled back, our eyes met.

"You didn't mean to get yourself raped Jane."

"But I deserved it! I'm a horrible person and she is right for saying that! I could have stopped it, I could I learned to stop caring about my happiness and started to care about his! I'm a selfish whore." And the tears escaped.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me into a side hug. I gripped the front of his shirt and shut my eyes, crying onto his chest. His warmth made me feel safe.

"You are amazing Jane. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You didn't deserve it. Bad things happen to you, and that sucks. But that's why you have to be selfish so you could make more good things happen instead of bad things. Okay?"

"Oh-okay." I gulped.

I don't know if I said that to just say that, or to mean it. But I said it and it felt right to.

Just a few minutes later, my phone rang. I wasn't ready to speak to anyone at the moment, so Oliver went to answer it.

"Hello, Jane's phone..." he paused, listening to the other end. "You better delete this number. Don't ever come here again. I'll call the police." his voice got sharp.

My heart was racing, it had to be Chandler. Oliver got out of the bed, walking straight out of the room to mine. I followed after him, running before I could think. A breeze came through the hallway once we reached my room. And there he was, Chandler. Standing just by my bed, all red faced. My red jumped to my throat when I saw him, the memories spilling into my mind. How he grabbed me. Slipped himself into me. Ran his teeth down my lips.

I was shaking and couldn't stop. Chandler stared at me, lust running in his eyes. Oliver was standing just in front of him, his posture too straight.

"I told you, leave." Oliver hissed.

"But I love Jane, and she loves me. You can't separate lovers." Chandler tried.

"Listen to him. Leave." I hissed.

Oliver knew I was defending him, not Chandler. But Chandler was an idiot.

"Listen to her, Brit." Chandler smirked. "The lady commands,"

"The lady commands you to get out of here." Oliver snapped.

Chandler took a step towards him, eyeing him. I felt the tension rip through me as Oliver gripped the front of his shirt, pulling him even closer. Chandler's hands reached around and wrapped around Oliver's neck. I ran over to them, trying to push them apart. But, Oliver ended up being stronger. He pulled away from Chandler's grip and punched him right in the face, sending his back a few steps and making a crack noise. Blood spurted out of his nose.

"Get out," Oliver yelled. "And stay out you fucking wanker!"

I stood next to him, wrapping my fingers around him. Chandler looked at our intertwined hands and huffed, turning back around toward the window.

"Be happy together, bozos." he laughed before leaving.

Reviews: 0
Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:41 am
Desticakes101 says...

Avery

"You really didn't have drive me ya know." I tell Leo as I munch my bagel.

He shrugs and smiles at me.

I eye him as he drives and suddenly have an epiphany.

"You were scared that he'd make a move!" I yell after swallowing.

Leo just frowns, blushes and stares ahead. I poke his cheek and lean over to kiss him.

"There's no need to be. You're awesome and amazing and i love you. Chaytons quite cool but he's not you. Alright?"

Leo nods and stares ahead with still a bit of doubt. Suddenly his phone rings and he presses his bluetooth answering the phone with a grunt.

"So you need to cancel today?"

I can tell that he's on the phone with Chayton, just by his tone and relaxed state. I look down at my phone after it vibrates, reading the message from Kristin.

"Chayton had to cancel. He's really torn up about something so I invited him over later for a drink...or five from how he sounded."

I shrug, not really caring.

"Kristin is bringing a boy over for us to meet. Cook something up for us."

Leo nods and turns around to head back to Harmony.
life is a beach (*chuckle chuckle* get it lol)

Reviews: 0
Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:29 am
Desticakes101 says...

Kristin

"That was surprisingly delicious." Taylor says with a wide smile, as I walk him to the door.

I smile back, just as widely.

"I'm glad that you enjoyed. I really, really hope that we can do this again." I say, my smile shrinking into a sweeter genuine one.

When we get to the doorway, I look up at him as he looks down at me. I can tell that he's pondering kissing me. I can see it in the way that his lips twitch slightly, and his eyes grow the tiniest of a bit shinier. He begins leaning down and I...I panic. I quickly wave and he stumbles forward and I slam the door in his face with a hurried "Goodbye!".

I back away from the doorway, my heart pounding and a huge picture of Oliver in my head. Shit, shit, sh-"

"Well shit. That was graceful." Avery says from behind me, rubbing her hand on her growing belly.

I sigh.

"Yeah well...Oli popped back up in my head again."

Avery sighs and stands up, coming towards me until we're face to face. Or well...face to boob. She looks up at me with a glare and pokes me hard in the stomach.

"Figure your crap out Kris. I just want you to just...be happy. And i'm not good at this whole confidence building thing but...just figure your shit out. Now I need to get to bed because the baby is kicking me in the ribs with its underdeveloped foot and the shit is tiring me. So goodnight. And tell Leo to bring me some chamomile tea and freshly baked biscuits." She says as she walks up the large staircase.

I begin walking to the sun room to just sleep in there, while looking at all the stars, until Avery calls out once more.

"And I want you to figure your shit out tonight. Go to his place if you need to. But quit being such a little bitch and figure it out."

I hear a door slam after her last few words of wisdom, and I sigh. She's right. I've got to quit moping and bringing other people into a situation that they shouldn't have to worry about. I go to the red ceramic car key bowl Avery made back when she was five and thought that she wanted to be an artist. That ended after she got recruited for a children's commercial at seven and found out that she loved acting.

On the way to Oliver and Janes place I think about what i'm doing.Is it stupid? Is it yet another stupid idea of mine that will fail miserably? At some point (maybe after I reach the highway) I stop giving a crap and just speed.

After parking, and running a bunch of flights of the huge apartments stairway (I needed the exercise. I'm beginning to grow a tummy.) I finally reach their door and knock loudly.

A disheveled but angry looking Oliver swings open the door.

"I thought I told you to-" He stops when he sees that its me standing behind the door, impatiently tapping my foot.

I notice that behind him a scared and swollen faced Jane stands behind him. Every thought of telling Oliver how I really feel in person goes on hold and I shove past Oliver to Jane and do what seems like the best course of action and pull her into my arms.

"What happened Janey? Whats going on love?" I whisper, rubbing her back and resting my chin on her head.
life is a beach (*chuckle chuckle* get it lol)

267 Reviews

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:58 pm
Nike says...

Jane Wills

Kristin came as a shock to us. And an amazing surprise. I needed her so much right now, and I can see Oliver is really okay with her being around. She decided to stay over, to take care of me. Oliver told her everything that happened because I couldn't, I cried each time I tried to speak.

It was morning when her phone rang. I'm sure it was Avery or someone worrying about her. She did just stay over out of surprise. When she answered, I rolled around in my bed, trying to dream again.

"Jane, get up. Let's eat some breakfast." Kristin said once she finished the call.

I sat up in the bed and ran my hands over my face. It's been a long time since I've slept in my room, and Kristin made it easier. I followed after her into the kitchen and found Oliver with his Starbucks uniform on.

"Leaving so soon?" I asked.

He jumped, surprised by our presence. A smile lined his face as he walked over to me, wrapping his arms around me. A small squeeze, then he pulled away.

"I have to go back to work. You have Kristin here, and if she'll have to leave, you can always call Lena. Or even me, I'll leave early." he said.

"It's fine, don't worry about me. Go have fun at work." I smiled.

Kristin was filling up the coffee maker with water as we spoke. It seemed like she had something on her mind. And Oliver and her haven't spoken a word to each other. There's this huge tension between them. So, I pulled Oliver to the side to talk to him.

"What?" he whispered.

"Kristin came yesterday to talk to you. She didn't know about what happened to me... until she came..." I paused. "When you come back from work, promise me you'll talk to her."

He rose his eyebrows as he took my words in. And then he placed his hands on his hips, some kind of anger jumping onto his face.

"She has someone already. She's over me. Listen, stop caring about Kristin and I. Kristin and I will never happen again because she's over me. And I'm over her." he huffed. After a few seconds, he calmed down. "Sorry... it's just. I'm not over her but I'm trying to get over her. You telling me this stuff won't help, she's long gone Jane. She doesn't want me."

I placed my hands on his shoulders and looked at him. His eyes were just pools of desire for one girl, Kristin.

"Talk to her. I don't care. She didn't come to see me." I said.

He slouched his shoulders and pulled away, walking towards the door. Slipping on his coat, he took his car keys and left the apartment. I found my way back into the kitchen and caught Kristin texting on her phone.

"Hey Kris," I smiled.

She looked up, showing me a soft smile.

"Are you feeling better?" she asked.

"The same..."

Nodding, she walked over to my side of the island and sat down next to me. She kept on texting, must be important. Then, she put her phone away.

"I know this isn't the time to ask..." she started, looking at me. "But, Jane, do you think..." and I cut her off, knowing what she wanted to say.

"Oliver isn't over you, Kris. He still loves you."

A soft smile pinched at her cheeks as they grew pink. I knew it! She wasn't over Oliver. They were the perfect couple. I couldn't help but smile as well, feeling my world grow just that much happier.

"Talk to him when he comes back form work. Okay?" I said.

She nodded, wrapping her arms around my waist. I hugged her back and squeezed, feeling the love I really needed. I missed this girl way too much. She pulled away and walked over to the coffee maker, filling up two cups. I joined her, pouring in half-and-half and sugar.

"I never knew that Chandler would do that." Kristin said. "It's such a surprise... you always spoke well of him. Did you catch anything that could have warned you?"

It is hard to talk about this, but honestly, I needed to. I needed to figure out what had happened that sparked this action.

Stirring the coffee's, I thought of our short relationship. Nothing really triggered anything. Nothing came to mind. I tossed the spoon into the sink and sipped at my coffee, still thinking.

"Other than his ex... nothing." I sighed.

She nodded, sipping her own coffee. "His ex, what was with her?"

"She said I was brave to be with him."

"When?"

"Recently at one of his house parties. Actually, the very one he..." and then I trailed off, trying to push away those night's thoughts. She understood and just waited.

"Made sense why she said that." she said. "Anyway, enough of this. Wanna go to the mall or something?"

I smiled, "The way my face looks says no."

"I can take care of that."

131 Reviews

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:46 am
Sunshine says...

Lacey Lopez

Okay, so this is going to make me sound like the bitch I guess he thinks I am, but I have to say it anyway.

Good riddance to the both of them.

Neither one of them is capable of caring and making a good relationship. It wasn't going to happen. Oliver automatically went into defense call when I pointed out Jane's selfishness; made me seem like I was the one who was rude because of Jane's actions- before what happened with Chandler happened. She had a good guy and let him go because he 'wasn't himself', and picked up a bad one. It's my fault, of course it is, because Oliver and Jane are one and the same; they blame others, for they can't face themselves.

At least, after everything, I'm brave enough to do that.

Oliver should have just let the sleeping dragon lie. He will always want to be with a girl he's already slept with and dropped. It's his nature, despite his best intentions. I don't need that.

I watch Emmett walk down the street. He walks like himself. The injuries are gone. I think he still is himself, despite what the others believe; it's just the side of him that is a little bit broken.

Without the weight of Oliver, I feel free. I will go back to school, and I will sing louder to the radio, and I will appreciate the Brookside. I will worry about Emmett, I swear to any god above that I will; I won't worry about the man-whore who's always leaving me behind.

This is my new promise to myself.

My teachers are getting fed up with me always leaving at this point, and I have to promise that this time I'll stick around. I spend a few days more with Emmett, but I make one phone call.

I have to leave, so I make it quickly.

"Hello?"

A voice, sweet.

"Hi. I'm Lacey Lopez. I don't know if you remember me, but we had Earth Science together? Anyway, I know you're a kind person, and I was just wondering if you could do a favor for me. See, my brother... well, he's going through a rough time, and I think he needs someone new in his life. I know this is weird, but you came to mind. Do you think...?"

"I can do my best."

My freedom calls to me, like a bird on a wire, a bird calling for someone to join it south.

I am ready to fly.

I meant to stop posting as Lacey ages ago, and this is it.

@TinyJarStoredDreams
@AnyoneElse

Just a way to get things moving for some other characters.

---The Book Thief---

267 Reviews

Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:14 pm
Nike says...

Spoiler! :
@Sunshine why stop posting as Lacey? I like her, she's such a good character. :(

Oliver Hemingway

Of course I felt guilty. It wasn't like I was any better than any other person. Dropping her like that was easy, and you know what? That scared me of how easy it was to drop Lacey. She was a good person, still is in fact, and it was easy for me to leave her behind, in the dust. I bet it was easier for her to leave me. She could do better than some Brit.

And Jane was worked up about the whole thing. Her idea of me with someone was me with Lacey. There was no other way, she thought. The only reason she supported Kristin and I was because it somehow worked. But right now, I am not jumping back into that hoop. I don't need anyone or anything at this moment. I'm just on my own.

"Get that Java in and you're done for the day." I told Harry, one of my co-workers.

He ran his hand through his thick, black hair and smiled. It was almost twelve at night, and he was ready to go. I was the supervisor for tonight, so I had to stick around till one.

"Thanks Oli," he said.

Harry went on to started that coffee. While I went to the back, grabbing a bag of cups. It was time to restock. I had the coffee already stocked, the lids, and everything else. It was my last item on the list. I went into the small storage room and picked up the bag from the shelf. Pulling it over my shoulder, I walked back and stocked them in each cup dispenser. Harry took one from me and continued with the drinks.

Since I also had a headset on, I heard someone talking through the speaker in the drive-thru. I walked over to the computer and looked at the screen with the camera. A car was pulled up with a few people inside. They rolled down the window.

"Hello, welcome to Starbucks! What can I get for you?" I said, ready for their order.

"Ohh, a British guy..." a girl gushed which made me roll my eyes. "What's your name?"

"Oliver, now, what can I-," I started.

"Such a British name. So hot," she gushed yet again.

I was not in the mood for this. So, I lowered my microphone and looked at Harry. He was already laughing, his cheeks were bright red.

"Take care of this order for me, will ya? I'll finish the coffee's." I sighed.

"What? You don't like the attention?" he asked between laughs.

I just gave him a glasre and he switched places with me, tapping me on the shoulder. I poured in the concoction he made into each cup and topped them off with whip cream and caramel syrup. The car who ordered pulled up. I walked over, opening the window and handing them their coffees. Here there were two older people, probably a married couple. They looked exhausted.

"Here you are," I smiled.

They took the coffees with gratitude. "Thank you," and they drove off.

Going back to the counter, I finished stacking and threw out the bag which held the cups. Looks like everything was f=done and Harry finished the last order of the night, well, for him.

He came over to me with a small slip of paper in his hand. He waved it in front of my face as if it were a reward.

"And?" I asked.

"Two numbers from two girls that really were impressed by your voice and my hair," he had a slick voice.

"Great," I sighed, of course, not caring about that at all.

"Dude, hot girls. Let's go with them."

"Where, exactly?"

He took in a deep breath, as if I was a burden to deal with. "They invited us to a party, dude."

"I'm not really in the mood now, you can go yourself."

"Oh, come on, man!" he tilted his head back. "They want the Brit!"

"Pretend, dimwit."

All he did is shake his head and walk past me, into the break room behind the storage room. I closed off all the registers and started counting up the money we got in the last few hours. We needed a final count for the records. I had the laptop booted, a company one that we used for this stuff.

"G'night," Harry cocked his head.

"Night," I replied, doing the same thing.

Once I finished with the records, I shut off the laptop and put it back in the break room. It was meant to go in a safe just at the corner of the room. So, I dialed in the code and slipped it in. I got my stuff and locked up each room, ready to go. When I walked back into the cafe area, I saw someone standing just at the counter. It shook me, it seemed frightening for someone to be so quiet. But then I took a harder look and recognized who it was.

I took it slow, walking up to them from my side of the counter. She had her head down, as if thinking to herself.

"Welcome to Starbucks," I said. "What would you like to order?"

A small smile pulled at the corners of her cheeks, showing her dimples. Her head rose and our eyes met.

"Oliver," she started. "Hey,"

"I asked you a question, you could answer it, ya know." I smiled back.

"You aren't gonna make me a coffee, you're closing."

"I can surprise ya. Which is your favorite?"

She paused for a moment, her blue eyes just started into mine. Then she spoke up again. "You remember,"

And I did. I went to the coffee machine, starting it up. I had a cup in hand and started whipping up her favorite Starbucks drink. It didn't take me long to finish it off and clean up the mess I had made, making it looked spot free again. I walked back up to the counter and handed her her coffee.

"My treat," I said.

She took a sip, smiling.

"Kristin, what are you doing here?" I asked. "We could have met back at Jane's."

"I needed to see you, alone."

267 Reviews

Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:36 pm
Nike says...

Jane Wills
Spoiler! :
When is Emmett regaining his memory?

I didn't know if they would let me in. I could stand here all day if I had to, I wanted to speak with him again. It was important. So, I brought my finger to the doorbell and waited. It was the next day, like the morning. I couldn't sleep all night.

One, I was worried something happened to Oliver. He was gone most of the night. And Kristin, she just left, having to take care of something every important and secretive. Two, my mind was not leaving me alone.

The door swung open to a sleepy Lacey. When she saw me, I could see the disdain just shadowing her face. God, she hated me.

"What is it Jane?" her voice came out rough.

"I need to see Emmett,"

"That's too bad. He doesn't need to see you. Now, bye." Just as she was about to shut the door, I pushed against it with my right hand, stopping her.

"Lacey, please." I urged.

She pulled the door back open wide and looked at me. Just looked at me, as if trying to pull information out of my figure. It made me nervous, my hands started to clamp up.

"You need Emmett when you're alone. And when Emmett needs you, you aren't there for him. This is it Jane. You aren't going to hurt him again."

I couldn't protest because... she was right.

"You are so selfish! All you care about is your damn self. Oliver is the same, no wonder you make great friends. Why don't you start caring about others? You're not any more special than the rest of us, okay, Jane?" It was like she was about to blow up.

And she left me speechless. I couldn't ever imagine Lacey made, and I never wanted to. But now I see it, full on. Her eyes were wide, her cheeks were red, and the way she stood made me afraid she would throw a punch at me in any given moment.

"And you have nothing to say? Not surprised there." She whispered the last part under her breath. "Just leave, Jane."

"Sorry for..." she didn't let me finish and just slammed the door in front of my face. I felt like I was going to cry.

I just sort of stood there for a moment, as if analyzing what had just happened. Lacey was definitely against me. And I'd never get Emmett back. Because, he deserved someone good, someone better. So, Lacey was right all along. I just wasn't good enough. I was a shame, a disgrace. I came from a fucked up family, might as well be a part of that, right?

I huffed under my breath and turned on my heel, headed back to my car. But just as I was walking down the steps, I heard the door open. I froze in my place. Maybe it was Lacey, checking if I was still here. But I felt that it wasn't. It was like I could actually feel where he was. A sixth sense? I wouldn't know. It took everything in me not to turn around and look at him. I couldn't do it, I had to walk away. To save him. I had to listen to Lacey for once and do the right thing, and leave him. Forever.

"Jane," he said faintly.

It crushed my heart when he said my name, softly, but you could hear the pain it caused him to say it.

All I did is keep on walking toward the car, shuffling my emotions back into the small box in my head that read RESTRICTED. It made everything in me hurt, feel like my body was a burden to the world. And it wasn't like my mind was any better, or my soul.

But, I took a small peek at him. He was watching me. His lips formed a straight line as his eyes found mine. I gulped down the sob that was bound to come and turned back toward the car, hopping into the drivers side. He was too perfect and I was too much a wreck.

He was still looking at me, as if I was hurting him again. Well guess what, I was in more pain than he was. Oh, shit, that's selfish.

I wrapped my hands around the steering wheel and shut my eyes for a moment, trying to forget my life. It didn't work. So, I opened my eyes and started up the car. I checked to see if he was still there, he wasn't. Somehow that made my heart crush. And my eyes water. And me to grab my phone.

And me to call him.

My heart was racing as I waited for him to answer. I hoped he wouldn't. I hoped he would. His choice.

"Jane," he said. "Why did you leave?"

"I didn't. I'm standing in front of your house like an idiot."

This made him softly chuckle. "Why?"

"Because I don't know. I don't want to hurt you. So, I'm going to leave you forever. You don't have to deal with me, thick about me, nothing. Just... forget about me." my voice was cracking as tears fell down my cheeks.

"No, Jane, listen..."

"You deserve better, Lacey was right." that came out as a wheeze.

And then suddenly, I felt some tension coming from his end. Did I say something wrong? The silence was unbearable, but I waited for him to say something. All I heard was some shuffling.

"Lacey was right?" he repeated after me.

"Yeah..."

"You spoke to Lacey?"

"No other choice... she was at the front door." My tears subsided a bit. "But listen, I was wrong. You are a great guy and I am just not deserving enough."

267 Reviews

Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:40 pm
Nike says...

Jasmine Urbaniak
Spoiler! :
@MickeyG ??

writing later for her

131 Reviews

Thu May 01, 2014 12:42 am
Sunshine says...

@Nike: I like Lacey too, I just feel like I'm really dragging her out as a character. I'm not really sure what else to do with her.

Also, he's got most of his memories back. I don't think I was super clear about that.

Emmett

There's a lot I remember about her that's good, even though she doesn't think so. Her smile, and the way it lights up her eyes. The way she looks average and then spits out some philosophical question that briefly makes me question my existence. The way even our fighting was bursting with energy and possibilities. I want to tell her all that, because I know it would help her, but I'm not in that business anymore.

I like that we have a home phone. It makes me feel more connected to her.

She's right there, right outside. Lacey is looking at me, hand on hip, watching my every move. I wonder if I was like this when she was having her issues... her Hakan issues, of which the details I don't want to remember.

"No other choice... she was at the front door." I think she's crying, and I know I can't stand it. "But listen, I was wrong. You are a great guy and I am just not deserving
enough."

I glare at Lacey, who rolls her eyes, shrugging, expecting the words Jane is saying. The thing is, I feel those words, and they tug at something in my heart. They remind me of Lacey and her tragedy, but maybe my own, too.

"I deserve better?"

Yes, she's definitely crying. "Yes. I've been bad to you, I know that, I'm sorry."

"No. No, I know that, and I don't know a lot right now. I don't deserve better... you deserve to be better. That is the idea that started this, isn't it?"

Jane is quiet. "Shit, Emmett. Emmett, I'm trying to leave. I'm trying to leave."

"That's never worked out before, has it? You always come back. Jane, what's the point?"

Lacey shakes her head at me, frowning. What are you doing? The right thing, I think. She goes up stairs, she leaves because she understands, and is totally pissed about it. Her arms are in the air, her exasperation evident. I know she'll forgive me, because she does understand. I know she does.

I listen to the other end, but it is static. She isn't there anymore. I put the phone up, knowing that I tried, knowing that Lacey will hate Jane even more...

There's a knock.

I don't hope, because I'm beyond hopes.

She's there.

We just look at each other. I look at her tears, how messy they are, and for once I know for a fact that she is a bitch and a whore. There's no use denying that. If I'm going to try again, she's going to have something to prove.

She throws her arms around me, but we don't kiss. When I've had enough of her body, fit straight into my arms, I gently let her down.

I missed her.

"This isn't forgiveness, not in a complete sense. You should have been there for me. I just can't let you out of my life, because that'll make us both miserable. This another shot, but you have something to prove, okay? If you have something to prove, I think that'll make you stay."

She looks at the ground, and I think I've ruined it again already, but she glances back up. She smiles, quickly, but it is enough to light up her eyes. I see that good in her, and I know that it has been hammered a bit, hammered by my hand to shine brighter. I know that, and it makes things better.

"You know me very well."

I smile at her. I need her to know what's on my mind, what restrictions are holding me back, but I can't ruin what is coming.

"You stay in my life, okay, Jane Wills? Do that, for me. Get the hell out of Lacey's, as fast as you can, but please say in mine."

I think that covers what really needs to be said.

---The Book Thief---

267 Reviews

Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 am
Nike says...

Spoiler! :
@Sunshine OMG OMG OMG OMG I am fangirling over your post like crazy. Emmett and Jane. Emmett and Jane. WHAAAAAA. They are the dream couple, sort of. I feel sick making Jane so bad. She's now gonna try.

And with Lacey, it's your choice. She is your character. Do what you think is right.

Jane Wills

A second chance. It felt wrong. But then it felt so right. He was right, I deserve to be better. If something always pulled me back to him, it had to be something. It couldn't just be life torturing him and I. I felt bad for pulling him down with me, I felt like I was controlling him, ruining his life.

Even though I wasn't. All along I've been ruining my own. I haven't been letting myself become the person I was supposed to be, the better person. And I wasn't allowing myself true love. Because I was so afraid of it.

How long does it take for one person to notice these things?

He wouldn't accept me quickly. It would take a while. For us to rekindle, he had to work out through himself first. And I understood that. I should have been there for him. I was, as much as I could.

We broke up before all of this, so that's how my mind set was. I found a new guy. And I tried my best to help him. The new guy was a horrible idea. And helping him was all I thought about. Day and night. My dreams were captivated by Emmett. And maybe now, I could even help him.

When he said those words, I left. He needed to go back and get ready for school... and to talk to Lacey.

It was going to be hard to stay out of Lacey's life. I was so happy he wanted me in his. "You stay in my life, okay, Jane Wills? Do that, for me. Get the hell out of Lacey's, as fast as you can, but please stay in mine."

After he said that, all I wanted to do was kiss him. But I pulled back on that thought and just smiled. Just remembering those words made my body ache for him.

"Earth to Jane," Oliver said in front of me.

He was walking with me to class. Somehow he had gotten the idea that walking me here would give him the reassurance that I wouldn't kill myself in the next second. I guess he was still on the belief that I was depressed. I was sort of fine now... with Emmett and all. I haven't told Oliver anything. I'm not ready. He wouldn't be ready.

"Oli, um, I'll be good." I smiled. "Go to college,"

He smirked. "Don't be ridiculous. I came with you, I'll watch you go to class."

"Stalker? My mother? A creeper?" I laughed at him.

He just shook his head and pulled out his phone from his pocket, reading a text message. A smile lined his face, I bet it was someone special. I held back a comment about who it could be and kept walking down the hallway.

"Jane, have you seen William?" Oliver asked out of nowhere.

I gave him a look, "No... why?"

"Just a question... Kristin is wondering. I think it has something to do with Avery, but I wouldn't be certain."

"Whatever," I huffed under my breath. "Now go, I'm fine."

The scent of fresh brewed coffee wasn't always a calling of mine, but somehow today, it really worked on me. I don't know where it came from, I mean, I believe I was the only one at home today.

Right after school, Oliver went to work. And my mother, she was still in France. I believe she is returning next week. I sighed.

My phone started to ring so I answered it, half way anticipating Emmett and half way believing he wouldn't bother. Ha, it was Lena. So I was wrong and right in both ways. I clicked the answer button and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Lee, hey." I said.

"Hey, Jane." she paused. "Are you busy?"

"Not intentionally... I could be though. Why?"

"One, I will say you sound happy. What happened? And two, I want to hang out."

I just smiled to that. "I'll talk to you when I see you. Wanna meet somewhere first?"

"Yeah, Starbucks. I have been craving them for a while."

"The one that Oli works at! Thirty minutes?"

"Sure thing. See you!"

"See ya!"

We hung up. I slid the phone into my jean pocket and ran to my room to get ready. It's not like I was going to wear the same clothes I wore for the whole school day. I sweat like a pig, so I smell. I pulled out some clothes and jumped into the shower.

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix