z

Young Writers Society

Arranged Marriages (second try...) ~Restarted~

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:17 am
Liv says...

August

I held her waist tightly, fighting between the instinct to throw her off and to figure how this was happening. I could see everything she has seen, hear all she heard, even feel how she felt. It was as if someone was flipping quickly through pages , beginning to end.

There was a rush of images, blocking all five of my senses to focus on the new details. There was her illness, running through meadows, tutors, her young brother and parents all the way up to private thoughts and desires, the glances she caught during balls when she got older, birthdays, worrying over her brother's sadness. They went on and on until my own mind matched her memories with some of my own: being told she would have an arranged marriage, seeing me and her first thoughts, meeting me and the way she thought of me, dancing at the ball, the fight, me leaving her to go to the meeting.

However, it wasn't until today's memories that I could feel a deep blush creep upon my cheeks, hearing the things she thought only moments ago, then hearing her thoughts as to how and why this could be happening, how she could be sharing her thoughts.

I jerked when the last memory she had ended, searching for more though there was none, and I gained back control of my senses. Saja came in to view and I blinked, blinked again, then again, unable to comprehend them feeling of two lives lived within my head.

"Saja," I said, my breath catching on my throat, "I-.....w-.....will you marry me?"

Rosemary

"I'm not sure," I said to Briac, my fingers gentley braiding Queen Anne's Lace in to a thin strip of hair, doubting he even noticed the flower yet as I continued, "What do you think?"

He thought for a moment, lying in the grass with his eyes closed, soaking in the sun as I brought the braid to a close, then finally said, "I like the name Jack."

"I don't want a boy." I said, moving on to another section of hair. We were talking about horses, of course. You can't live in Bryni and not have one. "How about Ruby?"

"You can name it whatever you want, Rosie." He said tiredly, taking my hand in his, stopping me halfway through the braid.

Peeking through one eye, he smirked, "No more flowers, Rosemary."

Grinning guiltily, I said, "Besides, we should save Jack if you like it."

"For what?" He asked, playing with my fingers, stopping and grinning to himself for a moment when he realized. He let go of my hand, letting me take it back to finish the braid as he added, "Don't think like that."

Finishing the braid, I climbed over him, placing one hand on each side of his head. I watched as his eyes snapped open in surprise, looking to the left and right as if to see if anyone was there.

"You," I laughed, "Act as if you haven't thought such things, yet I've heard the way the people in your castle speak. They're not nearly as reserved with their thoughts as you, Briac. Besides, everyone knows it's to happen."

I watched his cheeks color faintly and grinned to myself, proceeding to tease, "Won't you share how you feel, hmm?"

Before I could say another word, or even blink for the matter, the world was flipped and I was flat on the ground with Briac propping himself over me with his good arm.

"If....When that happens," he said pointedly, searching my eyes, "It will not be out of obligation."

I blinked in surprise and gave a slight nod as Briac scanned the area once again quickly before leaning down for a kiss.

I smiled as his lips met mine, enjoying the increasingly familiar taste of sweet sugar. I laughed at a thought, interrupting our kiss and gaining a bewildered look from Briac.

"Do you often eat sweets, Briac?" I laughed.
Last edited by Liv on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:35 am
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

"You," I laughed, "Act as if you haven't thought such things, yet I've heard the way the people in your castle speak. They're not nearly as reserved with their thoughts as you, Briac. Besides, everyone knows it's to happen." I colored and looked away- it was true, my people were not so reserved as the other kingdoms- we were blunt and to the point.... I was blunt and to the point- except with Rosie, my coarse speech seemed to out of place around her- like my words would hurt her if I wasn't careful. I reached up- tucking lock of her hair behind her ear.\

"Won't you share how you feel, hmm?" She almost purred at me and I felt those same wicked thoughts creep into my mind-

Show her? oh I'd show her, on our wedding night.... I'd show her all night long.

Shaking myself hard for such god awful thoughts I quickly rolled over and put Rose under me- her body pressed so close with her on top was doing strange and unwelcome things to mine- and being on top I could put some distance between her and me.

“If...” then I corrected myself, “When that happens it will not be out of obligation Rosemary” I looked to make sure her brother wasn't looking then I leaned down for a kiss- sunshine. She tasted and felt like sunshine.

Relishing in the soft pressure of her lips on mine, her small hands tangled in my curls, I was stricken when she pulled back giggling, I raised an eyebrow- was I kissing her incorrectly? Did they do it differently in her kingdom? The thought of her kissing another man smote at my heart and I pushed the thought away- Rosie was mine, no one else could have her.

"Do you often eat sweets, Briac?" So startled was I that just stared at her for a long moment.

“Eh?”

“Do you eat many sweets?” What an odd question, how perceptive.

“A-aye, Yes I do.” My Accent particularly thick in my consternation. Rosemary giggled again- gods above that noise- it was like a brook released from winters ice.

“ I was only asking because,” she paused and her eyes sparkled, “Because you taste like sugar.” I blinked- Sugar? .

“I taste like sugar?”

“Warm sugar- like the kind on cookies fresh from the oven or fruit crisps,” she nodded clarifying, then shyly looked away, “Wh-what do I taste like?”

I leaned down- nose softly touching the sensitive spot behind her ear,

“You taste like Sunshine Rosemary, like honey and a thousand bright clear days rolled into one.” She stared up at me- eyes wide.

“Briac....” she breathed, seemingly astounded.

“What?” was it because of what I had said? I know I am a soldier but I can string some nice words together... Rosie was grinning up at me like the cat that ate the songbird,

“you didn't stutter just then.”

“Eh?”

“you just said a lot of words and you didn't stutter!” Well I''ll be damned... she was right. Slowly I smiled down at her,

“So it seems, I guess.... I guess I'm comfortable around you.” she beamed up at me. “Rosemary- you have a beautiful sm-smile.” I deflated- but she laughed.

“Almost comfortable.” She said sitting up up- shaking the flowers from her long hair, she looked all the more like a nymph-showering petals and giggling. I stood up and helped her to her feet.

“Aye- a-almost. But.... I have a surprise for you.”

“What is it?” I took her hand in my own and hoping her brother didn't notice walked her towards the stables” I-I have a very special gift for you.”

Walking into the stables I took a deep breath, the musty smell of hay and horse was always a comforting smell. My boots crunched on the straw on the floor – forty horses turning in their stalls to look. I went to my great horse Tempest- and the smaller gray mare I had been training for several years now. Rosie- already comfortable around Tempest looked at the mare with a smile,

“Briac- is this... is she.”

“Yes, she's for you. She's always been yours.” I blushed petting the gray mares soft forelock, “Its tradition in Bryni, that a man prepares a horse for his bride to be, a gift from him to her, Horses are our brothers and sisters in my land. They are a extension of our soul. Tempest has been my best friend since boyhood, H-he's been in battle with me, protected me and guided me for many years, he is my brother.” I took a deep breath- hoping Rosemary understood this tradition, how sacred to me it was. “And I hope Tilly can be like this for you. I have spent almost five years training her from filly till the time I was wed, she is gentle and kind, and wise beyond her years- she will bare you safely.” I colored, “As she and Tempests foals will bare our own little ones.”
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

11 Reviews

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:24 am
Liv says...

Rosemary

I felt a blush creep up my neck and color my cheeks and turned to Tilly, allowing my hair to curtain my face as I ever so carefully, unfamiliar with this horse, placed my hands on either side of her face. She dipped her head down as I hoped she would, and I rest my head against hers as we often did with camels in Harrow , whispering to her softly in my own tongue. I stood with my eyes closed for a moment, listening to her breathing until she lifted her head back upright.

Smiling, I turned to face Briac, dropping my hands and taking the few steps to close the distance between us.

"Briac," I smiled, placing my hands delicately on his chest and standing on my tiptoes, "I love her, thank you."

It really was an extraordinary gift, I knew that much, and a deeply rooted tradition that I, an outsider, was surprised yet pleased to be a part of. I placed a line of gentle kisses on his neck and along his jaw before he ducked his head to win a kiss on the lips. The sweetness made me smile and I pulled back, wrapping my arms around him and nestling my face in to his chest, taking in the glorious smell of the outdoors and the sound of his beating heart. I smiled to myself when I heard it quicken, wondering what he was thinking.

"Rosie?" I heard my brother's voice call, causing Briac and I to jump back from each other.

I looked to see him standing in the door of the stable, hand in hand with Aris, looking from ne to Briac and back. I moved to stand in front of Briac, placing myself between them. Jackson looked at me for a moment, then a familiar goofy grin I know and love spread across his face.

"You know I can still see him, right Rosie?" He laughed, the comment causing me to do the same.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Bonjour, my lovelies! I was waiting for Yubbies....but I guess I'll just have to post :/

Jackson

"Don't worry, Rosemary," I assured her through our laughter, "Your betrothed and I have made amends."

However, that didn't stop my curiosity of why they were in here, or why I had caught them embracing. I shook the curiosity from my thoughts - she was a grown girl, engaged to be married. She no longer needed the protection of her brothers, as much as it bothered me.

I smiled sadly at the thought, then said, "Aris and I were just about to speak with August and Saja. Would you two like to join us?"

They looked to each other, their eyes lit with smiles, and Rosemary turned and answered, "Perhaps for a moment, but we must find Rayven and Rhay as well. We'll all finally have a chance to chat and make each other's acquaintance!"

Rosie drifted from Briac and locked her arm with Aris', leaving the stable with her, chattering away about the wonders of Harrow.

Briac and I ambled slowly behind them, alternating between looking at our boots and watching our intendeds.

Running a hand awkwardly through my hair, I offered to break the silence, "She absolutely loves water." Briac continued to watch her, but I could tell he was paying attention, "We're not big on drinking in Harrow. She's quick to tell you what's on her mind, often getting herself in to trouble. When she was a girl she drove away all of her nurses because she wanted to share mine. And in the dead of night she wakes up and needs someone to share a bed with. But she's absolutely enchanting."

Gazing towards Aris and my sister, prattling away happily, I concluded, "My baby sister seems to have taken a liking to you, and you her it seems. And I'm going to miss her terribly, so make sure to come down and visit, eh?"
Live, Love, Laugh

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Rayven
I sighed and slid off of the rock I had been sitting on the sun by now high in the sky. I glanced over at the dragon who was still sleeping peacefully. "Goodbye my friend. Mayhaps we'll meet later." I said curtsying to the noble beast. After that I made my way back up the cliff and picked up my bow and quiver of arrows. I saw Jackson, Rosemary, Aris, and Briac near the stables and walked over. "Perhaps for a moment, but we must find Rayven and Rhay as well. We'll all finally have a chance to chat and make each other's acquaintance!" Rosemary said. "Well you don't need to find me. My betrothed may be another story." I replied walking up to the group. They turned to me and Briac immediately spotted my bow clasped in my hand. "How was your shooting Rayven?" He asked and I smiled. "As accurate as ever." I replied smiling sweetly at him. Shooting the bow was something I loved and hoped I would never need to give up.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

42 Reviews

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:29 am
Shadowlight says...

Spoiler! :
You can hate me now Livy... XD

Saja

"Saja," he said- my breath catching on my throat as I gasps, "I-.....w-.....will you marry me?"

I stared at him, my mouth agape- did he really just ask me to....... His eyes locked on mine- so gentle, so deep, his strong hands resting on my hips, sending strange shivers through my body.

“Saja will you?” He asked-voice barely above a whisper and I just stared back at him, what could I say....

Reaching I retrieved my notebook and hurriedly wrote something inside- handing it to him, he scanned the words and shook his head,

“I know we're already going to be married, but that's what others have told us. I'm asking you, if you will.”

Could I say yes honestly? I didn't love him yet, but I knew I could learn- was it wrong to say yes like this? I stood quickly,

“Saja?” I handed him my book again.

~~That's just what I did talking August, it can make us feel strange the first time.... Papa says its like getting drunk~~

“No it's not that Saja! It's me asking you- I mean it...” I shook my head,

~~But it's not August, I can't say yes when I know it's not really you asking me. I'm sorry. I'm still going to marry you but I can't say yes, not like this.~~

And I fled- running away from him, my bare feet crunching on the gravel and sand of the lakeside,

“Saja! Saja wait!” I heard him running behind me, his heavy boots making dull thudding on the ground. I didn't listen- I just ran harder, I just knew it wasn't him truly asking, it was what I just did to him, making him feel emotional. I fled through the trees- trying to find Tam, my dragon. He could always help me clear my head when I was upset or troubled.

I found him in a clearing- his big black body curled among sun warmed rocks- looking blissful- he glanced up at me as I ran over.

His bright blue eyes were kind and he scooped me closer with his wing- rubbing his scaly head against my cheek- making his low thrumming purr.

“It's alright Little One.”

11 Reviews

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 am
Liv says...

August

"Saja!" I called out. I had lost her in the woods just a few minutes ago and these parts were unfamiliar to me.

Scanning the area, I knew I was lost - I hadn't been paying attention when I chased her. Going off of what I was trained to do, I located a tree with low enough branches, lay my sword on the ground, and began climbing, stepping carefully and dodging weak branches. If I could get high enough I could get back to the meadow or find Saja.

Looking around carefully, I was able to spot a huge beast that, though I'd never seen one not on flight, had to be a dragon. Making my way down, I made up my mind to go towards the dragons and hope I could find Saja.

As I hung from the last branch and let my feet graze the ground I heard a startling sound and dropped to my feet quickly, turning to see what had found me.

A mink.

I eyed my sword, regretting taking it off, regretting climbing the stupid tree, regretting saying anything to Saja and making her run off. The animal eyed me, its shoulder blades poking out of its back as it stalked.

Looking from the mink to my sword and back again, I tried to calculate the time I had left until it pounced, hearing my heart in my ears as I waited, counting. Three, two...I jumped towards the sword, only to have the beast catch me by the leg of my trousers, thus pulling me down.

It moved to bite at my leg but I desperately kicked at it, getting it on the side of its face and earning a screech from it. In its moment of confusion I reached for the sword, my hand just grazing it as the animal jumped on to my back and nipped at arm as revenge.

I let out a yelp in response to its teeth breaking my skin, yanking my arm away before any great damage could be done and I flipped on to my back for lack of time. I of course would have preferred to get up, but there was an extreme lack for time and with my back to it I wouldn't have a fighting chance.

It pounced again, pinning me down, its claws digging into my chest as I shot my arms up to grab its neck to hold it back. The creature clawed at me, creating a sound of shredding fabric and skin, causing me to yell out. I desperately dropped one hand and reached over for the sword, giving the mink a prime opportunity.

The mink was quickly able to wrestle out of my one handed grip and bite in to me, the shock of the pain in my shoulder and alert in my mind causing an involuntary scream. I stretched for the sword, but both my and the minks attention were broken at the sound of a scream. The two of us both turned our attention to the noise - Saja. Saja had found us.

I willed the mink to leave her alone, prayed that it would try to finish me, but it didn't. Perhaps it could sense I wanted her safe, or perhaps she just seemed easier, but the mink retracted its claws from my chest and pushed off of me.

It moved to pounce at her, and in the need to save her I forgot my pain an pushed myself up, shouting obscenities at the beast as I jumped to hold it back from its pounce, catching it by its lower half and whipping it back and away from her.

It's full attention was on me, more angry than hungry as it jumped me, the sheer weight of it flooring me. I was quick this time, in the need to save not only myself but Saja, knowing she would be next, and flipped, trapping the animal beneath me. It cried, swiping at me in its own desperation to live, catching my cheek with its claws.

I cried, not from physical pain bit from pain of knowing what I was about to do.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, reaching past its fighting legs to its head and neck, jerking it to the side in a painful crack before it stopped fighting.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered again, tears blurring my sight as I rolled off of the animal and knelt beside it, clasping my hand together and bowing with my face against its belly, praying for its soul as I did for every animal I killed, asking forgiveness for taking a life that was merely hungry and fighting to live.

Rising, I grabbed my sword and resheathed it, stealing a glance at Saja. Wordlessly, I bent down and grabbed the mink by its legs, lifting it up and situating it around my neck.

"Let's hope," I said dumbly, flinching at the weight on my assaulted shoulder, "Hunting isn't illegal."

I searched her eyes, not getting to close to her for I knew she was shaken, though whether it was that she could have died, I could have died, the fact that she saw me kill something, or my bloody appearance I didn't know.

For lack of anything to say, I wiped my cheek, staining my hand red, and offered awkwardly, "I'll make you a coat, if you'd like. Or a blanket or...rug. Just...I'm going back, okay? I'm going to go back and I'm going to skin this and I'm going to be upset about it, because that's what I do, I let myself feel, I don't lie to myself or anyone else about my emotions. And you know what? You're coming with me, because who knows what else is around here and I'm pretty sure I need stitches and because....because I want you to."

Reviews: 0
Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:50 pm
Skyguy says...

Travis

Travis glanced at Natsu who was fast asleep. He rolled his eyes as Natsu rolled over and began snoring. Gray walked over." I would really love to sit on him." Travis chuckled and cradled the sword to him. Natsu sat up and yawned." So, what are we going to do today?" Gray rolled his yes and mounted his horse." Im doing rounds." He announced and rode away. Travis turned to Natsu." We, the oh so powerful guards, are to hide in a clump of reeds and keep an eye on their majastys. However, we are to remain unseen so they can um, get to know each other. Soo, we remain here bored." Natsu stretched out like a cat." Pray that a boar doesnt show up. Then wed really be in trouble." Travis grinned." A boar, right. That would be interesting.."
I will never give up... I will never give up! As long as I'm still breathing in this world... as long as I'm still standing in this world I will never give up!

11 Reviews

42 Reviews

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:24 pm
Shadowlight says...

Time-skip to the day after the Picnic- so next Day

Saja;

August had brought me back to my rooms and then left me there, he didn't even say anything just closed the door and left.

needless to say I spent the remainder of that day, and a good portion of this morning crying into my pillows and hating myself.

August was hurt because of me, I had ruined everything! How could he want me now after all I had done to him? I paced the room- pulling at my dark hair, thinking now that I was on the brink of losing him, I realized how much my feelings were to the contrary- I wanted him...

I sat desolately in the window seat, the bright sunlight and birds seemed to mock me.... seemed so out of place with the pain in my heart. August was hurt because of me.... what if severely so? What if the wound became infected? What if he died?!

I felt faint at the idea- what if he was in danger? I had to see him!

Springing to my feet I ran to my chest- looking for a dress to wear, I was still only in my nightgown. I pulled out a simple dark blue gown with red lacing and quickly changed. I pulled my hair up into a loose messy bun and secured it with two bone hair sticks my brother had given me for my birthday. Once decent I hurried from my room and into the hall- I had to find August.

Racing along the halls I made my way towards the wing I knew Augusts rooms were in- I passed the Bryni Prince and his princess- both looked ready to go out on a ride... they looked happy, my heart gave an involuntary twist at the sight of their smiling faces- I pushed on. coming around a corner I spotted Augusts parents walking arm in arm- I ducked behind a suit of armor in an alcove of the wall and waited listening.

"He's still asleep...." The queen murmured- eyes and face looking drawn, the king frowned deeply, clearly troubled.

"What do the healers say?" I strained to catch their words. "The healers here are good.... they certainly know how to treat wounds." The queen nodded slowly.

"They do.... but, they say he lost a lot of blood- and they don't know if the beasts claws penetrated deeply into his chest or not."

I choked, covering my mouth with my hands- we WAS seriously hurt... and it was my fault.

"Oh dear don't worry- he's a doughty boy, he's not in danger." The queen looked up at her husband- clearly trying to take heart in his words- but then her eyes filled and she began to weep. The king pulled her close and they went on their way down the hall and I crept out of my hiding spot, trembling all over.

The door to his chamber was standing slightly ajar, and a man was standing there- clearly guarding it, he eyed me as I approached and barred my way.

"Sorry miss, no ones allowed in except his family and the healers." Scribbling a note I handed it to him.

~Please let me in, I'm Princess Saja, I MUST see him.~~ The man eyed me and slowly stepped aside,

"No Funny business Milady. He's hurt." I nodded and crept into the room,

August lay in his bed, his dark hair damp, long lashes making half moons on his cheeks. he was shirtless, but his chest and arms were bandaged- my heart broke.

"What are you doing here?" I jumped and looked up- Aris, his sister sat by his side glaring at me. "What do you want?" taking out my little book I wrote a note and offered it

~~Please let me stay.~~ She frowned,

"He's hurt because of you." Tears started to my eyes and I nodded, struggling not to weep*

~~I know, I'm so sorry. Please, let me stay? just for a minute?~~ Aris's eyes hardened,

"No, you can't. He' badly s hurt." Frantically I wrote in my book*
~~He got hurt because of me, he was trying to protect me. Please Princess Aris, I can't leave him.... not like this... Not without saying I'm sorry.~~ I handed it back to her- praying she understood. her eyes went over the words a few times, I could see plainly she didn't want me here.

"You can't talk to him, he's asleep. Come back later." And she turned back towards her brother- heart shattered within my breast I turned away, and then broke, I burst into tears and fled the room- blindly running down the halls- past astonished royals and servants, out into the garden and towards the lake- I needed to get away.

"Tam!" I mentally called for my dragon, tripping and getting scraped on thorns and rocks. I heard his deep throaty rumble a little ways off and made for it.

He lay in a sunny clearing- wings outstretched

"Hello little One." He purred at me. I threw myself against his great neck and sobbed.

Spoiler! :
Hello Everyone- I hope you don't mind I posted :3 I missed this SB too much. If anyone was too out o character I'm sorry- just chalk it up to emotion. *wink*

11 Reviews

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:10 pm
Liv says...

Spoiler! :
Yesssssssssss

August

I couldn't remember anything, couldn't think of anything. I couldn't recall anything after...after what? What was it again? A wolf? A...what's the word? It felt as if a great weight was on my chest and a great pressure in my head so unbearable I couldn't open my eyes. I could hear people speaking around me, but it felt as if they were shouting to no avail because my head was under water.

I could feel the bed lean to either side when someone sat beside me, I could feel cool hands touch me, I could feel the delicate fingers that belonged to my mother brushing my hair from my forehead. I could feel the tight and scratchy fabric around my chest, arms, and leg and wanted desperately to tell someone that they were suffocating me, but I couldn't find my mouth or tongue - they felt so dry, as if I had swallowed a fist full of sand, and I couldn't ask for water. So I lay there helplessly, listening and waiting.

It wasn't until the atmosphere changed in the room that something clicked - someone was here. Someone who wasn't saying anything. Someone who couldn't? I had to see her - I couldn't remember if she was okay, couldn't remember if she was hurt. I strained to open my eyes but it was like lifting a drapery weighing a hundred pounds.

I could hear a muddled voice barking, then the sound of feet running. No! I needed to see her, don't send her away! The weight on my chest increased by a thousand pounds and I couldn't breathe, I was suffocating. Just open your eyes, August! Open them! Open!

My eyelids flew open and at the same time the weight lifted off my chest, opening my lungs and leaving my gasping for air, but was replaced by pain throughout every inch of my body. I was so hot I was burning, I was on fire!

In a panic I struggled with my blankets - if I could only get rid of them I could get rid of the fire, I just needed to-

"August!" Someone shouted, grasping my hands to still them.

A witch! A witch was trying to burn me! I tried with all my might to fight the witch, but she win and pushed me to lay back down. My eyes threatened to close once more but I refused - if I closed them I would go back under the sleeping spell.

Through drooping eyelids I slid my gaze over to find not a witch but Aris!

"Ahrms" I tried, flinching at the pain it caused to talk. I need water. I just needed water.

"Waa" I begged her, unable to find my tongue to speak properly.

Aris fled from the bed quickly but was back in an instant, a cup clutched in her hand. She slid a hand behind my neck and lifted my head. What was she doing? I could hold my own - no I couldn't. Why couldn't I lift my head? Why was I in so much pain? And why did I feel so sweaty?

She brought the cup to my lips and the instant the water reached my mouth it tasted like heaven and suddenly the burning was gone.

"Aris," I managed out in a hoarse whisper, finally able to get ahold of my own mouth.

She lay my head back to my pillow and I couldn't help but sigh from relief.

"Aris," I groaned, "It hurts, my ch-"

"It's okay August," she cut me off, "Just rest, okay?"

But I didn't want to rest. I couldn't.

"Wh...why did you send her away?" I asked, trying desperately to keep my eyes open.

"Wh-what?" She asked, evidently shocked even to me in my state of mind.

"Saja," I said softly, each word paining me, "The...the...wolf...I mean...cat...I mean..."

I stopped, looking slowly around the dim room. The curtains were drawn and I could barely see anything past the edge of the bed. Why couldn't I remember anything?

"The mink?" Aris asked, to which I could only respond with a slight nod.

"August...that was over an hour ago." She said, her brow furrowed, but she looked at me gently and began to brush my hair from my forehead while continuing, "She's okay, August. You protected her. Go back to sleep, August."

"Maybe," I said hoarsely, letting my eyes droop back down, "Maybe just for a...for a minute."

Rosemary

I watched Tilly and Tempest in the fields, hardly straying far from each other even as they grazed. Briac sat with his back to a tree to prop himself up whilst I sat comfortably in his lap, a position we had gotten ourselves in to after I'd complained of the dirt moistened from last night's rain. Mud wasn't something we had at home, but I doubted it would make a pleasant seat.

So there we sat, Briac's arm wrapped around my waist and his chin settled on my shoulder as we watched the horses and he placed occasional kisses on my shoulder.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" I asked after we had sat quietly for so long, lacing and unlacing my fingers with his.

"Mmmm," he sounded, the vibration from his throat sending a tickle down my spine, and he asked, "Tempest?"

"No, August." I clarified, never taking my eyes from Tilly, "Will he be okay?"

"He'll be fine, Rosie." Briac promised, lacing his fingers through mine and grasping my hand to keep me from unlacing them again.

"I can't imagine how Saja must feel. Can you imagine? Imagine being told you're to marry someone, getting to know them and used to the idea, and then having the chance that they could d-"

"He'll be fine, Rosemary." Briac emphasized, placing a calming kiss on my shoulder.

"You don't know that." I muttered stubbornly.

"They fixed me, didn't they?" He insisted, placing another kiss on my shoulder, "And I was far worse off than he."

Twisting to face him, I looked up to explore his face. He shifted uncomfortably, though I chose to ignore it and instead took a good look at him, lifting a hand to trace his scars with the tips of my fingers.

"Yes," I whispered, "they did."

I made a move to give his cheek a kiss, but he managed to duck his head and capture my lips with his own. I couldn't help but hum with laughter for a brief moment, feeling him smile against me. My sweet Briac.

84 Reviews

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:56 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Jackson

It seemed that with each day that passed since our first in Bryni I saw less and less of Rosemary. She spent all of her time with the Bryni prince now, though I spent most of mine with Aris as well. It was odd, really, how in the beginning my younger sister had been so worried, both of us so desperate to not leave each other...but it was just happening naturally. We would forever be close, of course, and forever want to see each other, but I guess...we were growing up, especially Rosie. She was blossoming right before our very eyes. Briac still made me feel uneasy, being both the cause for grief in my family and now joy, but if he made Rosemary happy...I couldn't be mad, I could only hope Tristan wasn't rolling over in his grave.

That was what I had been thinking of for the few hours I had been here, here as in August's room with Aris. I had come to keep her company near three hours ago, August being asleep and Aris refusing to leave him. The crazy rush of yesterday had swept everyone off their feet, and it seemed now we all just faced the clocks and waited. When we spotted the bloodied prince carrying the mink walking with a distraught Saja, both unspeaking, we all returned to the castle at once. It wasn't until after August saw Saja off to her room, however, that he completely collapsed. I was amazed that Saja didn't hear the screaming of Aris and their mother.

My eyes had long since grown accustomed to the dim lighting, so while Aris slept with her head on my shoulder and my arm around her, I looked about the room. It was littered in trinkets, instruments, and pieces from their home. Some of the things I had never seen before.

Stroking Aris' hair gently, I turned my gaze to her sleeping brother. He had risked his own life to save that of his betrothed. While I knew I would do the same for Aris, I couldn't help but wonder how she would fare in Harrow. We had already talked about it, but I still couldn't help but worry about watching her wither in a world so different from her own.
Live, Love, Laugh

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:57 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Rayven
I sat inside looking out the window toying with my braid. I hadn't seen Rhay at all and a frustrated sigh escaped as I stood straightening my dark blue skirts. ' Come now Rayven.' I thought to myself before walking out of the room. After a few minutes of assessment I shook my head feeling a tad annoyed and walked outside to the stables. "Hello Evan." I greeted stroking his nose lightly. He whickered softly and kissed my hand. A giggle escaped as I smiled, fetching a brush I began to groom him humming softly. "The valley green was so serene in the middle ran a stream so blue. A maiden fair in despair." I began to sing as I continued to groom Evan.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

84 Reviews

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:48 am
fictionfanatic says...

*Just bumping this back up*
Live, Love, Laugh

42 Reviews

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

I smiled against her lips, those soft silken lips and tightened my arm around her.

"Briac..." Rosie giggled- pulling back, eyes dancing. Leaning in I nuzzled her cheek, breathing in her sent.

"Yes?" she shrugged and leaned against my chest, I wondered if she heard my heart hammering against my ribs. her small hands, those perfect hands were tangled in my loose tunic, this felt so right. Everything felt brighter now that she was here...

I hadn't even realized how lonely I had been until she danced into my life, it frightened me, how much I suddenly needed her, it frightened me thinking if I messed this up, I might lose her.

"Briac, whats wrong?" Her gentle voice caught me off guard and I started- looking down. her eyes were on my face, she had touched it moments ago and it troubled me...

"Rosie...." I began, trying to form my thoughts into words, "Rosie, a-are you happy?" no, that's not what I meant to say- I tried again, "Rosie, will you be bothered being bound to me? I'm, I mean.....," I sighed, no use in being delicate, "Rosie, I know I'm an ugly brute, I know I'm a horror to look at and most women want a husband they can look at... will you, are you willing to look at me? Be honest, I won't be hurt."

That was a lie, if she said I was hideous I thought I would break...

Spoiler! :
Sorry it's so short.

Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana