z

Young Writers Society

Arranged Marriages (second try...) ~Restarted~

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:04 am
Liv says...

Spoiler! :
Since my last post was crap and contributed absolutely nothing, here's a better post xD

August

I felt rather poorly that everyone had opted out of dancing, as I knew it was for my benefit. I truly didn't want anyone to coddle me further or interrupt their own lives and relationships for my benefit.

The company was quite nice, I'll admit. It felt as if I had been locked up in my room for a month with very few people to talk to, and I was able to further enjoy the company as I was completely numb to any pain I had previously been feeling.

I turned my gaze upon Saja after noticing Rosemary lean in to whisper to Briac, casting a glance over her until she looked over. I didn't turn my gaze away. She still hadn't answered my question, and I was eagerly awaiting an answer. Especially now that we were to start planning our wedding! I would refuse to marry her until she agreed, I don't care how furious it would make my father or how long it would keep me from the throne.

I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering how long she truly would keep me waiting. I would marry her tomorrow if she'd let me!

As the others chattered away about God knows what, I turned my gaze away from Saja as a blush crept to my cheeks. I truly had been staring for too long. I guess I would have to get her answer later when we were alone.

Rosemary

I held Briac's hand underneath the table, tracing circles on his hand with my thumb and feeling its rough texture. The callous of his hands was almost soothing for some reason I couldn't be sure of - then again, I found near every aspect of him to be that way without any clear reason as to why.

Turning my head towards him slightly, I admired him through a low gaze so not to be caught staring by any of the others I couldn't fathom why anyone would see him as a brute - he was roughed up a little bit maybe, but all you had to do was look to his eyes to see he had the kindest heart. It was as plain as day. He was a giant child's teddy bear, worn from first look but still not having lost its warmth and softness. I grinned at the thought, biting on my bottom lip as I thought about how he would make a great king, wonderful husband, and marvelous father to our children.

I blushed to myself at the last thought, something churning within my stomach that reminded me of our time in the garden not too long ago. Pulling our clasped hands in to my lap, I sat back in my chair and looked away from Briac though I could still see him from the corner of my eye, continuing his story on something I had forgotten to listen to.

But I simply couldn't listen - I was imagining fair haired light tanned children with silver eyes and a love that would match their father's.

Turning back to face Briac, I leaned in closely and whispered, "Briac, what if we married this coming summer?"

Briac turned to face me, an eyebrow raised. I knew it was a crazy idea, as it was spring now and summer was growing closer with each passing day. But I knew I wanted to marry Briac and I needed no more time to ponder it or grow accustomed to him. Had you asked me a month ago if I was ready to marry I would have replied with a no, but Briac changed that. I knew from almost the beginning that I was ready to marry my Briac, and now I simply wanted to call him my own and to be his. I only hoped that he shared my eagerness.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:30 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Jackson

I had just barely had time to change in to clothing that didn't smell of horses before we were called to dinner, an event we quickly discovered was meant to begin the planning of our weddings.

We had yet to reach that topic, however, and instead talked about what seemed like anything but. I myself, strangely enough, couldn't help but think about it. Each kingdom was so different in customs in mere day to day living, so our wedding traditions were most definitely differing from one another. Harrow was the only kingdom out of these four that had weddings lasting three days, filled with events of dancing and eating and only finally marrying on the second day. I wasn't familiar with the traditions in the other three kingdoms, but I knew foreigners found Harrow's to be extravagant.

What of Yililia? Such a nature bound peaceful kingdom, what would their ceremonies be like? How would we all manage to combine the customs of both our own kingdom and our betrothed's?

I turned my gaze to Aris, examining her pale skin framed by her vibrant hair. Her eyes were focused on her brother, who sat with his eyes drooping every so often. Rosemary must have given him some of the strange plants she began growing and sending out to apothecaries a few years back, as earlier today he had been screaming loud enough to be heard throughout the entire castle. My dear Rosie was clinging to Briac's arm as if no one could see, leaning closely and whispering in his ear. Rayven sat quietly, her eyes passing from person to person as they talked. She caught my gaze and I gave her a soft smile, which she returned. Our earlier time in the stables was much needed, and I had grown almost comfortable with her and with knowing Rosemary would be here. I knew Rayven wouldn't be, but if Rayven was so good then her brother would be as well, right? I had always had a biased opinion towards Bryni people, and she made me feel quite guilty for it.

I turned my gaze back to Aris, who in turn finally noticed and looked over at me with a smile on her face. She looked radiant.
Live, Love, Laugh

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:03 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

I looked at Rosemary my eyes wide.

This summer? That was only a few weeks away.

Then again, weddings in Bryni do follow hard on the heels of the betrothal- you never know what life may bring you.

I tightened my grip on her small hand and smiled down at her, her sweet face, her gentle soul.... I wanted her, I could admit that to myself now- I wanted Rosemary to be my wife. Leaning over I quickly pecked her cheek and stood- clearing my throat.

“E-excuse me.” Damn my stutter I tried again- louder, “Excuse me, Lord and Ladies!” the chinking of dinnerware stopped and the murmur of conversation died. I felt a blush begin to stain my cheeks but I fought it down. “This is all happening so fast, a few weeks ago I'm sure none of the princess and princesses had any intentions of being betrothed, even though I know our parents were thinking otherwise.”

And here I couldn't help a glance at my parents and a subtle wink at my mother,

“But, It has happened quickly,” I continued, gently pulling Rosie to her feet and leading her over to where her parents sat. “It's happening like the seasons changing. Winter of war has moved into the spring of peace, and I wish to move it into the Summer of happiness.” I looked into Rosie's eyes for a long moment before turning to her parents. “Milord, Milady....” slowly I sank to my knees before them, “I wish to ask formally for your daughter, as myself, not as Prince of Bryni. She's taught me to look at the sunshine again and not the clouds.” I waited a moment, but as they said nothing I looked up at them, praying they saw the honesty in my eyes, “I love her.”
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

11 Reviews

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 pm
Liv says...

Rosemary

Briac exchanged a wide eyed glance with me, but before I could worry that he didn't agree with my eagerness a smile spread across his face. His large hand tightened around mine and he came to my cheek, giving me a brusque kiss that sent electricity through me before he pulled back and stood before I could even blink.

Briac cleared his throat, addressing the room with, “E-excuse me.”

It was my turn to give him a wide eyed look. What was he doing? He couldn't be doing what I thought he was doing...

“Excuse me, Lord and Ladies!” He started again, bringing a wave of silence throughout the room. I swallowed hard - he was most certainly doing what I thought he was doing. I clutched his hand tighter and looked up towards his face, anticipating his words as he cleared his throat once more and continued, “This is all happening so fast, a few weeks ago I'm sure none of the princess and princesses had any intentions of being betrothed, even though I know our parents were thinking otherwise.”

At the end of this remark his gaze switched and I couldn't help but follow it, landing on his mother and father. I looked down when his mother caught my gaze, feeling a slight blush begin to creep across my cheeks.

“But, It has happened quickly,” Briac furthered, and his next action was one I hadn't been expecting. Not in the least. Briac pulled me from my chair gently, an easy feat as I hadn't been expecting it. Had I known, he probably would have had to pick me up and throw me over his shoulder to get me to move!

I quickened my steps to be beside him once more rather than trail behind him linked by our hands, my small strides no match for his large ones - that and my reluctance to follow - and came to a halt as he did before my parents. What was he...

“It's happening like the seasons changing." Briac said, his eyes trained on my mother and father affectionately as I held on to his hand as if I would float away without the connection. "Winter of war has moved into the spring of peace, and I wish to move it into the Summer of happiness.”

Briac turned his eyes upon me once more and I couldn't help but smile back at him, an affect he had on me I didn't quite understand.

“Milord, Milady....” Briac said finally, turning back to my parents and dropping to his knees before them, and sliding his hand from mine, “I wish to ask formally for your daughter, as myself, not as Prince of Bryni. She's taught me to look at the sunshine again and not the clouds.”

A blush so profound I was sure you could see it from any position in the room, even through my darker skin tone, crossed my cheeks as I stared down at him through the prominent silence in the room. My father's gaze turned upon me in a manner that almost seemed to ask whether I was willing. It was an exceptionally odd look - why not give me that look when my marriage was being arranged opposed to when the man he had set me up with was asking them for my hand in marriage...he was asking for my hand in marriage! I nodded to my father, interrupted by the sudden sound of Briac's voice.

“I love her.” He said proudly, looking upon my parents with the loving eyes I had fallen for.

He loved me! The sound created a surge through my body and I couldn't contain myself! No sooner than the words left his mouth I sprung towards him, throwing my arms around him, burying my face in his neck, and nearly knocking us both straight to the floor had he not shot his arm back to catch us.

Turning my face up towards his, I gave him a soft kiss on the lips before realizing our company and shuffling to stand as Briac did the same. I blushed deeply, suddenly mortified for displaying that in front of my parents and my brother, but the subtle sound of a giggle caught my eye - Briac's mother was grinning ear to ear!

"Well..." my father sad, now shifting uncomfortably in his seat as I reached for Briac's hand seeing that I couldn't kiss him as I wished I could, "I suppose that display means I don't have to ask if you agree with the proposal, Rosemary."

My blush deepened and I looked to the floor, only lifting my eyes when Briac squeezed my hand lightly in reassurance.

"I know we were only matched because we had the greatest wars with each other's kingdoms," I said to my mother and father, my father looking down guiltily for a moment before looking back up to my gaze, "It's easy to set up a marriage and to plan a wedding, all of that is easily arranged...but this isn't...you can plan something like this, something like what Briac and I share. I love him. I want to marry him, father, and no one else."

There was a long pause before my father answered, in which he switched his gaze from Briac to me and back to Briac several times. Breaking the silence, he said quietly, "It's just so soon."

"If you'll pardon me, Milord," Briac said, drawing the attention of everyone, "But it is quite traditional in Bryni to have a quick engagement, and if I've heard correctly it is in Harrow as well. And...I love your daughter, sir, beyond what I thought I was capable...and I see no reason to prolong it if we truly do love each other. Isn't that what all of this is for anyways? To marry?"

My father began scratching at his beard I hadn't even realized he had begun growing again until now and responded after a moment, "But she's just a baby!"

My mother sought my father's hand before anyone else could speak, enveloping his one hand with both of hers and leaning close to him.

"She's your baby, darling," she whispered, "And she always will be. But don't confuse that with her being a baby."

Father looked over at us, his pained expression making it clear that he was fighting with himself, "And this is what you want, Rosie? To marry this summer and...to stay here?"

I nodded quickly, clutching Briac's hand so tightly I was surprised he wasn't flinching.

My father switched his gaze between Briac and I a final time before declaring, "My son, I've heard of you long before now. I heard of you as a warrior, I'll admit. Strong, persistent, brave, and filled with an unrelenting love for your country that drove you to protect it and even offer your own flesh for it. I admire your boldness and persistence for my daughter, and if you were half of the warrior I heard of I would still entrust my one and only daughter to you. Even more so I believe what you say is true. This coming summer I will give her away to you."

42 Reviews

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:22 am
Shadowlight says...

Spoiler! :
Okay so this was kinda dragging so I decided to add some fun to it. >:3 Also I'm not sure if Yubbies is coming back- I messaged her on her wall and I've heard nothing.

Saja:

I listened to the conversation between the Bryni Prince and Harrow King only half so. I was too preocupide with my own thoughts...

I hadn't ever gotten to answer August, he had asked me to marry him again and I didn't answer him! I was kicking myself now, here trapped at this stupid dinner party where I couldn't do anything except sit here like a headstone in a graveyard.... I glance up at August nervously.

He wasn't looking at me, his eyes were on the scene before us, his one hand holding the stem of his goblet, the other, just resting on his lap, he was still so pale and.. and ill looking. My insides churned, and the guilt began to rise again. Without thinking, I reached for his hand- under the table to no one would see. I intertwined our fingers and gently pulled his hand into my lap. I kept my eyes down on my lap, but I was blushing anyway- this was so forward of me!

My fingers held his loosely, if he wanted to pull away he could, but he didn't. I could feel every callous, all the rough spots, a few scars, his blunt fingernails. I could feel the muscles in his strong forearm flex ever so slightly- pulling his hand away from mine, my heart fell. Without meaning to I glanced up and met his eyes, his beautiful deep complex eyes. He was staring at me with a look of intent.... intent something.... then I felt his hand slowly rest on my knee.

Oh gods..... Oh sweet ancestors.....hes touching me! He's got his hand on my KNEE!

I looked down going red hot, twisting my hands in my napkin, I didn't know what to do....

Suddenly the sounds of shouting in the Bryni language and pounding footsteps startled all of us in the room- a man burst in fair hair wild and eyes almost starting from his head, he spoke only one word.

“Susia!”

There was a dead silence for only a few surprised seconds before every Bryni male in the great hall suddenly raced out of it! The Bryni King overturned his chair in his hast and Prince Briac moved with a swiftness I didn't think possible for a man of his size.

“What's going one?!” The Harrow king shouted, the suspicion clearly written on his face, my father an the other kings looked worried.

The Graceful Bryni Queen stood and put her hands out to silene them. She was pale, but composed.

“The wolves have come down from the mountain.....”

“Oh Mama!” Princes Rayven was white as a sheet and she clutched at her mothers hand.

Wolves? What wolves? What was going on? I felt for Augusts hand under the table nervously and grasped his fingers/

“The Fell mountain wolves... they come down from their dens every spring to prey upon the brood mares and newborn foals in the herds....” the Queen went on calmly, but in a highly controled voice- as if her emotions were anything but. “Our horses our are brothers and sisters my Lords and Ladies.... And we Bryni Defend our family. She spoke a few soft words to her daughter- who in turn hurried out then turned back to the rest of us. “ The men are going out to drive them off. I'm sorry but our dinner party is not going to be able to continue... I must oversee the servants and my ladies- to receive the wounded when they start coming in...

“What nonsense is this!” My father boomed, “Wolves? Mangy dogs?” the Queens blue eyes wre icy as she spoke

“These wolves stand as tall as a horse Sir, and they run in packs by the hundreds! These wolves are a more fell foe then any armies of men we have repulsed. We here in Bryni fear the wolves more then we feared the wasting armies of Harrow.

Prince Jackson stood slowly, eyes going from the face of the queen to the open doors- through which we all could see Men running by, all more or less in military garb, weapons, armor, chain mail.

“And where are they going? To fight them?”

“Yes, to battle with the Wolves.”

Then to all of our astonishment Prince Jackson raced out of the room.

“Briac! Briac wait!” He shouted as he passed out of the doors, “I want t fight with you!”

I sat still in utter shock, unsure of what was going on or what I was to do.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:02 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Jackson

Amongst the scene unfolding of Briac asking for Rosemary's hand, a wild-eyed fair haired man burst in to the room and sent the entire room in to chaos with a single word.

“Susia!”

It took only a moment for every Bryni male to bolt from their spots, the king himself even flipping his chair over and Briac gone from Rosemary's side in the blink of an eye.

“What's going on?!” My father shouted, each royal looking at each other curiously. No one understood the Bryni tongue, though I swore I'd heard it before in battle.

The Bryni Queen silenced all questions and chaos simply by holding her hand out as a signal to be silent, her face pale and her hand slightly quivering.

“Oh Mama!” Princes Rayven choked, running to her mother's side and grasping her hand.

“The Fell mountain wolves... they come down from their dens every spring to prey upon the brood mares and newborn foals in the herds...Our horses our are brothers and sisters my Lords and Ladies...And we Bryni defend our family."

She turned to whisper to her daughter, who then ran off, before addressing the rest of us, “The men are going out to drive them off. I'm sorry but our dinner party is not going to be able to continue... I must oversee the servants and my ladies- to receive the wounded when they start coming in...

“What nonsense is this!” the Draconian king demanded, “Wolves? Mangey dogs?”

“These wolves stand as tall as a horse Sir, and they run in packs by the hundreds! These wolves are a more fell foe then any armies of men we have repulsed. We here in Bryni fear the wolves more then we feared the wasting armies of Harrow."

My gaze switched to Rosemary, who suddenly looked as if she were about to faint. In an impulse, I rose from my seat. My eyes went from the face of the queen to the open doors, past which armor clad men ran.

“And where are they going? To fight them?” I inquired, placing a hand on the hilt of my sword and looking back over to Rosemary.

“Yes, to battle with the Wolves.”

“Briac! Briac wait! I want to fight with you!” I shouted, pushing my way through the crowds of men running through the hall until I caught up with Briac, who was impatiently waiting for me to get close enough not to loose him.

I had to take care of him, to make sure he was okay. Unsheathing my sword, I cast my gaze upon Briac before we began running once again. For Rosemary.
Live, Love, Laugh

11 Reviews

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 pm
Liv says...

August

All eyes were upon the Bryni prince as he asked for Rosemary's hand in marriage formally, watching the scene unfold intensley. The medicine Rosemary had given me and the wine I had been drinking had had a marvelous affect, dulling the pain completely and allowing me to hear my own thoughts once again.

I was watching intently as I swirled my cup in one hand, the other resting in my lap. I had been completely focused on Briac's proposal, cursing myself for not doing something of the sort for Saja, when the touch of someone's hand against mine caused me to jump slightly. Saja intertwined her fingers with my own, pulling my hand in to her lap with a evident blush on her cheeks that I could see without even looking at her directly.

Her grasp was light and I could feel the tips of her fingers tracing my skin. I thought for just a moment - this was the most forward action I had ever witnessed come from Saja. Turning a low gaze towards her, I pulled my hand from her grasp and watched as she looked up at me in surprise, almost...hurt. Without changing the expression on my face, though I truly wished to beam at her, I moved my hand to rest gently on her knee.

Her face flushed and she turned her face down. Was this a yes? She did wish to marry me?

“Susia!” Someone yelled, interrupting everyone's thoughts and conversation. It was quiet for only a moment before every man ran from the room, leaving chairs thrown on the ground and within seconds no proof they had even been in the room to begin with.

“What's going on?!” The Harrow king demanded.

“Oh Mama!” Princes Rayven wailed, clutching her mother's hand as if she would faint otherwise.

Saja's hand found mine once again and I welcomed it, clutching her hand as tightly as she did mine as the Bryni Queen continued explaining.

I listened intently, my brow furrowing, until something happened that surpassed us all: Prince Jackson went running from the room with his hand on his sword, calling after Briac to wait for him.

Every one of my muscles tightened as I fought the urge to go fight with them, looking about the room as I broke in to a sweat.

I looked to my mother who, noticing, shook her head profusely to discourage me. Turning my gaze to Saja, I watched her terrified eyes and couldn't not do anything. Looking about the room, cursing myself for leaving my sword behind, I searched for something I could use.

When something caught my eye, I released Saja's hand and shot from my seat and towards the wall the bore two swords as decoration.

"August!" Aris screeched as I tore one of the swords from the wall, "No!"

I looked at her for a moment, then to my mother, and finally to Saja.

"I'll be back." I said quickly, "I have a wedding to attend."

With that final comment, I turned on the heel of my boot and ran in to the hall and towards my room. I knew I was hurt, I wasn't an idiot. But I knew there was something I could do to help. Forgetting every injury, I ran in to my room and threw open my trunk to search for my weapon: a bow and arrow, the arrows made of steal that could make a clean shot through a horse if you knew how to use it right.

Shouldering the weapon and sheathing the sword, I bolted back in to the hall and ran with the rest of the Bryni men towards the outdoors. Before we could make it out I caught sight of someone who clearly didn't belong up ahead.

"Jackson!" I shouted, quickening my pace to reach him. "Briac!!"

I pushed through the men, most twice my size, to reach Briac and Jackson.

"Are you mad!?" They demanded when I reached them.

"Yes!" I argued, "But I'm also one of the best fighters you'll have out there. Plus," I displayed the thick iron hunting arrows, "I have these."

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Rayven
A bright smile crossed my face as Briac asked for Rosemary's hand in marriage, "Finally," I whispered softly when suddenly a yell broke through the happy mood.
“Susia!”

A silence filled the room and father stood his chair overturning while Briac moved with swiftness.
“What's going on?!” The Harrow king shouted, obviously suspicious.

Mother stood then, pale and composed as she spoke a single sentence that made my blood run cold and the blood drain from my face,“The wolves have come down from the mountain.....”

“Oh Mama!” I said and clutched at her hand, I had nearly forgotten about the damned creatures. I blocked out her next few words, shuddering with hate and fear.

“What nonsense is this!” A voice boomed, “Wolves? Mangy dogs?” My head snapped up and my eyes narrowed my mother speaking before me.

“These wolves stand as tall as a horse Sir, and they run in packs by the hundreds! These wolves are a more fell foe then any armies of men we have repulsed. We here in Bryni fear the wolves more then we feared the wasting armies of Harrow," she said. That was true enough and I looked up to see the men running past the room, dressed for battle. I sprang to my feet, running out as well, "Briac! Jackson! August!" I shouted grabbing my bow and arrows as I ran up to them, dodging through the men and then I reached them, my voice calm as I stated, "Let me help."
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

11 Reviews

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:39 pm
Liv says...

Rosemary

Heavy footsteps, clinking armor, shouting in Bryni tongue, screams that would break even the coldest person's heart. The sounds drowned out all other senses, forcing me to shut my eyes tightly so there would be nothing but darkness - the sounds and sights were too much. It was so overwhelming you couldn't think, couldn't move, couldn't even breathe. The sounds were suffocating, and there was no way out.

"Princess?" An impatient voice called, indicating that they had said it multiple times.

Snapping my eyes open, I came face to face with a man with pin straight blonde hair pulled in to a pony tail and a large build near to Briac's. Except it wasn't Briac. I didn't know where Briac was. This was an entirely different man, his face pale and his breathing ragged.

That's when I remembered what I'd been doing before.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, my cheeks darkening with a blush as I went back to work stitching his shoulder. He had multiple bite marks running down his right arm, which now rest limply on the bed as I tried to close his wounds the best I could. "I'm sorry, my mind is in a million different places."

He watched me tentatively, his warm brown eyes mirroring Briac's. No wonder Jackson was always so wary of all Bryni men - they all had such similar characteristics.

"Are you the one?" He asked bluntly, blinking slowly as he watched me stitch his wounds as if he'd had it done a million times, "The princess that is going to marry Prince Briac? There are so many here I don't know which is ours."

I couldn't help the small smile that slipped across my face when he referred to me as "ours," as belonging to the entire kingdom.

"Yes," I replied softly, closing of the stitch, "I'm the one that's going to marry Briac."

The man let out a soft hiss before wondering out loud, "Princess Rosemary of Harrow, yes?"

I nodded as I began to wrap his arm and shoulder in white gauze that stained red almost immediately, "You know me, but who are you?"

He blinked for a moment, as if unsure how to answer the question or confused as to why someone would ask.

"I was a farmer, now I'm a soldier. My name is Thierry White." He flinched as I tied the gauze at the ends, then continued, "A have a wife and two small sons, six and four, back home waiting for me right now."

I gazed down at him as I stood straight and he was lying on the cot, watching his chest rise and fall as he breathed heavily and sweat came across his brow.

"Does it hurt, Thierry?" I asked quietly.

"Some," he said through ragged breathing, giving away his mask. I looked about the room at all of the men ranging from mere boys to men too old to be fighting. All hurt, but all smiling through it the best they could as the few nurses we had tried to tend to everyone. I myself had already helped a dozen or so, but it seemed as if when you were finished with one there were three more waiting.

"I'll be back with something to help, okay?" I said, moving from his cot in a quick run towards the kitchen.

Pushing through the heavy oak doors, I looked around hurriedly for the cook.

"Cook!" I called upon seeing her, rushing over towards her, "I need you to boil water and lots of it."

"What for?" She asked, her eyes narrowing hesitantly.

Trailing my hands down to the folds of my dress, I came back up with Tristan's herbs. I didn't have enough to give it to everyone to eat, but if we boiled them it would have the same effect, wouldn't it?

"We have to make tea with this to help the wounded men. Lots and lots of tea." I said, presenting the herbs to her.

She narrowed her eyes at them, but called over her shoulder something in Bryni and before I knew it a giant kettle was being produced. If there wasn't enough for them to eat, we would have to make it enough for them to drink until I could get ahold of some more from back home. And, after seeing to it that the water was boiling and the herbs added to stew in it, I directed her to send the kettle over to the wing where the wounded were being nursed and I hurried back to tend to more warriors.

42 Reviews

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:08 pm
Shadowlight says...

Saja:

I followed Princess Rosemary around the great hall of the Bryni castle- all the wounded men were brought there as was this people's custom. Men ranging in ages from snowy haired grandfathers to boys who looked to be younger them me.. all with horrible wounds. I felt sick, my hands trembled.

“Saja!” Rosemary said sharply- I started and hurried after- my arms holding the small kettle of tea she had the cook brew- the pungent aroma reminded my of desert flowers. I offered the kettle and she dipped the ladle in- letting the wounded warrior drink before she bandaged his leg. He spoke something in the bryni tongue,

“I'm sorry I don't understand,” Rosemary said softly- cleaning his wounds. The man winced and spoke again in the same language.

“He doesn't speak the common tongue.” The Bryni Princess was standing behind us, her father hadn't allowed her to go with the warriors- and she had skills as a healer. . “He is saying thank you- to both of you.”

I felt guilty- I wasn't doing anything remarkable.. it was all Rosemary. She was so strong, so calm- I was shaking in my shoes and nearly vomiting at the sight of some of the men. Torn flesh and screams of pain.... I'd never seen anything like this before. But Rosemary- she was a rock, unafraid- and I both envied and admired her.

The Bryni Princess smiled softly at Rosemary. “Thank you.”

“Of course ....d-do you know how the battle is going?”

“I do not, the fields where the horses are is a distance from the walls, and they only drive the wolves towards the mountains again... so we have no news. But they will be fine.” she laid a calming hand on Rosemary's shoulder. “Papa and Bri always come home.”

“Bri?”

“That's his nickname... since we were both little.” Rosemary hugged Princess ravyn, the two girls seemingly finding comfort in one another. I stood silently by, until I noticed one young Bryni warrior- who was clearly in a great deal of pain- I scurried over and offered the tea- he eyed me. I smiled and treid to look helpful- then I noticed his hand was bleeding horribly! I went to my knees and examined it- it was a single puncture mark- a tooth had torn the flesh. I had no bandage on me, and rosemary was busy talking to Rayvyn, so I pulled the white ribbon from my throat and wound it about the man's hand- self conscious about the scar on my throat.

Suddenly there was a wild scream from the other end of the hall, everyone looked up, everyone felt a cihll.

The Bryni Queen was standing there- face white. Four men stood before her, a large Bryni sheild between them- and on the shield, was a body. I rushed over- heart freezing- was is August? no... it couldn't be... the Bryni wouldn't have reacted so.

Princess Rosemary and Rayvyn were already there- struggling to push through the crowd. The Bryni queen screamed again- falling in a faint into the arms of her ladies.

“Mama!” Rayven cried as she rushed forward through the last of the crowd and stopped short- her eyes locked onto the body on the sheild... or...what was left of it.

“Is it Briac?!” Princess rosemary scrambled through at the same time I did- her big eyes even bigger, fear plain in her voice.

I grabbed her arm, shaking my head I pointed to the body. It wasn't Briac, but his father......

Spoiler! :
Enjoy replying to this.... and if it isn't clear- the King is dear... torn to pieces by wolves.

11 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:22 pm
Liv says...

Rosemary

Ravyn and I held on to each other dearly, nestling our faces in to the crook of the other's neck as some form of comfort. We simply stood, breathing deeply and grasping for the other's comfort in a room that didn't make any sense. Truth be told, I was terrified. But I couldn't stop, couldn't let myself think about it. When you stop and think at a time like this people die. So you just do.

A sudden cry tore us, and everyone else, apart. The scream was so shrill it sent a shiver down my spine and paled my skin, my entire body aching with the knowledge that something went horribly wrong.

We ran over to the quickly building crowd. Servants, wounded soldiers, just about anyone that could got up to see what was happening. The Bryni Queen was standing before four men, a shield between them baring a ghastly collection of...

I couldn't see, I had to get closer. Rayven and I pushed through the growing crowd of people to the front, but before we could get there the Bryni queen screamed again and collapsed in a faint.

“Mama!” Rayven cried, starting towards her mother but freezing suddenly. Following her gaze, my eyes landed on what could only be a ghastly collection of human remains.

Shoving my way to the very front of the crowd, I begged, pleaded, and prayed to God I was wrong, “Is it Briac?!”

A soft touch on my arm caused me to turn my head, looking to Saja with pleading eyes. She shook her head softly, pointing a finger back towards the shield. Looking back at the body, suddenly everything in my head began to click. The Queen's reaction, the gathering of people, the wounded soldiers rising to pay respect, Rayven's paled face and inability to move, the hush that had gone throughout the room...it wasn't Briac, it was his father! The king had fallen!

I looked around in a panic, taking in the faces of soldiers who were wounded, the faces of the ones holding the shield, the faces of the few soldiers trickling in slowly...My breath catching in my throat and my heart stopping.

"Wh....Where's Briac?" I asked, spinning around to face different soldiers, landing on those holding the shield, all of whom looked down to avoid my gaze. I turned to look at the incoming soldiers, and again demanded, "Where is he??"

They shook their heads at me, looking away, until one spoke up quietly, "We don't know, princess"

I back stepped, shaking my head violently as I distanced myself from them all but stumbling over my own feet. No, no, no, no, no. He'd come back. He'd be back soon. He had to come back. Tears built up, threatening to spill over and blurring my vision and causing me to lose my footing. I expected to hit the ground, but instead I was caught and lifted up, the person crushing me to their chest in a hug.

Looking up, tears spilled over my cheeks relentlessly as I saw who it was...rather, who it wasn't.

"It'll be okay, princess." Thierry said quietly, reassuringly hugging me with his good arm, "He'll be back."

42 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

It was over, it was finished- the last of the wolves were fleeing back to their dens with horrible howls. I looked up through the blood in my eyes at the sinking disk in the sky and paused to take a breath. My arm burned with exertion, my legs shook- every fiber of my being on the verge of exhaustion and collapse...a feeling I loved.

It had been a horrible battle, the fell wolves were in greater number then they had been the season before- this past winter had been exceptionally hard on them it seems, they were mere skeletons, mangy skeletons with burning eyes and frothing mouths. Reining in Tempest i looked back at my men, all had bravely
fought, and all were wounded. Most still on the field were like myself, a few bites, scratches and otherwise unscathed, others... their cried of pain and anguish pulled at my heartstrings... these were the men in my company, men I had known since boyhood- my friends. I jumped of my horse, I wanted to walk the field- see if any had actually fallen. I left Tempest to wander as I walked about- stepping over and around the blood soaked bodies of wolves. their stench was almost overwhelming.

Suddenly my eye was caught by something, a hand sticking out from under the corpse of a great black wolf, I threw my shoulder against the dead beasts body and slowly rolled it off of whoever it was. Prince August was laying there, half smothered and covered in blood! I gasped

"August?!" Dropping to my knees I grabbed his shoulders and shook gently- trying to bring him round, he stirred slightly. One of my knights was beside me, "Do you have a water skin?" He shook his head, "Find me one!" water was brought and this poured over the lads face soon brought him round.

"Wh-what, what happened?" He asked muzzily, I smiled gently and was about to respond when one of my knights spoke up laughing heartily.

"you nearly died under the ass of a wolf lad!" August looked aghast and we all laughed.\

"I WHAT?!" He cried scrambling up, there was a long pause and then we all laughed again- August included.

This was how it was meant to be, ending a hard day driving off the wolves with a laugh to dispel the rage of battle.

"you fought well August- in spite of your wounds." A murmur of assent rose from the knights gathered round.

"Aye Lad- your a Lion- I saw you get unhorsed and I thought you were done for," Beren my oldest friend and Captain spoke up grinning wickedly, "But you were on your feet and sprang on those wolves like a lion on sheep! I'm glad our kingdoms have never crossed swords- I'd hate to be on the other end of your blade.

August colored at this and the men around roared with laughter again,

"Alright enough- someone take August up behind him on his horse and return , to the city- Beren- go find my father and tell him we've cleared out the wolves here. I'm going to go look for Jackson."

"He's by the river Briac- he and the other spear-men were driving the shewolves there."

Riding along the now quiet road beside the river I let my mind clear, I allowed myself a moment to take a breath and let my heart slow. Coming around a bend I spotted a group of my countrymen- and one figure in the bright heraldry of Harrow- Jackson. I sighed a breath of relief- he was alive and unscathed.

"How goes it here?" I called to them, looking about at the slaughter of wolves- and a few broodmares and their tiny foals, and I felt my anger rise again. the poor creatures had been cornered here against the river.

"Over and done... but we didn't get here fast enough, I'm sorry Milord." I waved the man off, "You did your best Ulric. that's all we can do. And are you alright Jackson?"

"Fine, but.... gods Briac does this happen ever year?" his face was stained with blood and his eyes were wide, I nodded grimly.

"Aye, unfortunately." His eyes widened even more in disbelief.

"I honestly had no idea such monsters even existed.... their a terror. I wasn't afraid but, surprised at their ferocity.

"If you weren't scared lad you'd an idiot." an old grizzled warrior spoke up- wiping his blade" These beasts are worse then any of your warriors tenfold over." Jackson turned, a little heat in his eyes,

"What does that mean?"

"Enough. Jackson fought beside us today, Harrow fought beside us. It is a step forward- don't drag us all back to the past." I was in no mood to have a argument break out like this, not today- later when we were all safe back in the city mulling over tankards of ale- but not when ever man of us was armed to the teeth. "Come back to the City Jackson, I'm sure your parents are worried about you." I offered my hand and pulled him up behind me onto my horse.

"I'm sure they are- but what about yours?" I chuckled as I turned Tempest towards home,

"Me? Oh no I'm not worth worrying over. the wolves can't rip many more of my limbs off, my face is already ruined so no worries of me being disfigured. And they are only wolves. large ones but I have fought them many times before."

"Ah, But Rosemary...." I tensed

Rosie...

"She's probably worried sick- you rushed out of there without even saying goodbye you know."

Oh gods above, I did, didn't?

I felt my insides clench, I had done the unthinkable to my people.... I hadn't said goodbye, I had made no gesture of, what? Tenderness? Affection? I could remember countless times my father going off to war or to fight the wolves when I was a child- and I remembered no matter how hastily he was leaving- he never forgot to kiss my mother, to hold her for a moment.... and I had just left Rosie standing there. I swore inwardly.

"Briac?"

"Sorry, yes... I'm sure she is a little..."

"a lot." I colored.

"My lord!" a cry rose before us and we both looked up- two men on horses were riding towards us at a full gallop- their faces pale. "Lord Briac!"

"Here! what is it?" I hurried Tempest into a ground eating canter to meet them. Something was wrong- I could feel it in my bones.

"your Father the king." the one messenger began, but his eyes told me the rest. "He has fallen My Prince.... My King."

"Oh Gods...." I didn't wait to hear more- I shouted to Jackson to hold on and set spurs into Tempest's sides and galloped like bat out of hell up towards the city. My heart hammering, my mind racing- it couldn't be.... it just couldn't!

Thirty minutes later we had reached the palace- I leaped off of Tempest before he came to a full stop and tore into the palace, I was in a blind rage of emotions....

My father was dead- I couldn't believe it... I had to see it with my own eyes. I had to know for sure...

I could hear my mothers wild weeping even before I reached the great hall, the sound froze my blood but I rushed into the room nevertheless. There on a table, on his great shield was all that remained of my father- I felt ill, it could hardly be called a body, so mangled and...and chewed.

"Oh Briac!" My mother threw herself into my arms weeping hysterically. " Oh Briac thank goodness you've come back to me! no one knew where you were." I held her tightly- unable to speak, Rayven came to my next- her white face and big eyes broke what was left of my heart- she had been so close to father- his special pet.... and now he was gone. I pulled her close.

"Shh, it's going to be alright R-Raven." I said quietly, my own voice cracking, I wouldn't break down... I couldn't- not now. my family needed me, me people needed me to be strong.

"you're king now Bri..." Rayven said barely above a whisper. I nodded,

" I know." but this isn't how I wanted it.... this isn't how I wanted the crown to come to me. I didn't want to have to lose a father to gain this.

"Milord." My fathers steward was behind me, his eyes sad and troubled. "what are we going to do now? your father was in many political talks with the other kings.... wh-what are we going to do?"

I straightened up, squaring my shoulders and setting my jaw tightly.

"Nothing has changed Lord Fennic, everything will stay as it is. I will just be the one in those talks instead of my father. But, I will speak to you of those matters later... I am needed elsewhere.

11 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:09 pm
Liv says...

August

There was an incredible shift in the air from the moment we reached the Bryni castle, a sudden wave of emotion that made the heart hurt and the brain swim. Something was wrong and we all knew it. The Bryni soldiers I had come with began running, so I followed suit and let them take me wherever they were headed. You can only imagine my surprise when it was to a room baring wounded men and shrieking women.

"Milord!" One of the knights called to Briac, bringing us to a halt before them, "What has happened?"

Briac's gaze switched to us, his eyes creating an ache in your heart from which we all knew before he even managed to say, "My father, the King, has fallen."

There was a sudden hush across the men as the comprehended all that this meant, but all that I knew was that there were other people in the room trying to comprehend this as well...one girl in particular. From my spot in the crowd of soldiers, I looked around the room for her. I had to find her, and the second Briac left the room to attend to some things I began wandering the room, searching for Saja in the massive amounts of people.

Not her, not her, not her, not...there she is! There, right across the room!

"Saja!" I yelled out, getting her attention and running towards her.

She turned immediately upon hearing my voice, her face lighting up and then her eyes widening but I didn't care. Closing the distance between us, I grabbed her in my arms and spun with her before putting her down. The action got a laugh from her, but the moment her feet were back on the ground, she asked

Are you okay?

Leaning down closely, I teased, "If you think I look bad you should see the wolves. None of this is my blood."

Before I could say anything further, Saja jumped up on her tiptoes and closed all distance between us, crashing her lips on to mine. I responded immediately, not wasting any time before tightening my hold on her waist and kissing her with all the passion I'd been keeping from her so not to scare her off.

Smiling, I pulled back and asked lowly, "So, is that the yes I've been waiting for?"

42 Reviews

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:33 am
Shadowlight says...

Spoiler! :
(SORRY THIS IS SO SHORT AND HASTILY WRITTEN)

Briac:

I was tired, dog tired, both in body and mind. I hadn't wept, Was I even sad? Or was I too tired even for this?

It was hours later from that scene in the hall, seeing what remained of my proud father, Trying to console my inconsolable mother. Trying to comfort my sister, my people....myself.

Looking up at a clock I realized it was well past midnight, I hadn't slept since the day before and I could feel it, my limbs were shaking, just walking down the hall from y mothers room where I had gotten her settled, just this little activity was making my limbs threaten to give out. My head ached, my heart ached..... My father....

No, no I couldn't morn, not now, not yet. to many people needed me to be strong. to comfort them.... Kings don't cry.

Barely knowing where I was walking to I stumbled down the halls, the sounds of wailing, of death songs filled my ears, tomorrow we would bury my father, tomorrow I would be crowned...

We in Bryni didn't believe in waiting days or weeks for mourning a king before hus burial or crowning his son. I supposed it harkens back to our earlier days as a wild and waring clan where we had to have leaders take control quickly...

My tired feet took me back to my room, to where a bath had been drawn earlier for me- but the water was now cool. but it mattered not. I needed to wash the blood of myself, was away some of the days dirt and pain... I needed to clear my head.

I grasped the knob of my door and pushed it open, there was a candle burning on my night stand, odd... I walked over, and froze- something was in my bed, or rather someone. I could see the shadowy outline from the light the candle threw on the form. I lifted the candle and held it closer,

Rosemary... curled on top of my coverlet fast asleep, I stared at her for a long moment, something about this felt so right, finding her here, it was just the balm I needed to keep it together a while longer... in all this city of grieving people, there was one person I could in turn, turn to for comfort... I brushed the hair out of her face gently before turning and making my tired way to the adjoining washroom for a much needed bath.

Spoiler! :
Liv have fun with this.... heaven's knows it could go several ways. >:3

42 Reviews

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:51 am
Shadowlight says...

Saja:

I worked in the hall late into the night- helping to bandage up broken men, wash their wounds and tend to them. My dress was soaked with their blood- the hem of blue a deep burgundy now- I felt ill. The sight of the mangled body of the Bryni King- the reactions of his wife, and daughter.... the ghastly pale face of Rosemary and the wailing and weeping all around me, it was more then I could bare... but I stayed. if I stopped working the horrid visions of what I had seen rose before my mind, so I kkept my hands busy so my mind couldn't think.

The torches flickered on the walls, most of the men on their cots asleep thanks to the herbs in the potion Rosemary had made. I stood up- wiping the sweat and hair from my face.

"Saja!"

Someone was calling my name- I turned and froze, August, oh it was August! I felt my heart clench, my stomach felt funny and I nearly burst into tears. His smiling face covered in blood he ran to my, put his arms about me and spun me like my papa used when i was a little child. It was all to much, I gasps and let a sob escape my throat. He set me down and I pulled out my little notebook.

~Are you okay?~ He leaned down smiling that gentle calming smile,

"If you think I look bad you should see the wolves. None of this is my blood."

I looked up into his face, his beautiful, strong, gentle face. I timidly placed my hands on his cheeks, I needed to touch him, to know he was real. in this room of pain, and death I needed to know August was alive and well. Before I knew it I had pulled him close and pressed my lips to his.

It was a clumsy kiss, I am a maiden who's never been close to boy, it was shy and certainly not like those perfect first kisses in my novels. Augusts strong arms went about me tightly and he responded (the only word I can use is) Hungrily. His lips dominating mine in a split second, taking charge and making my entire body feel weak.

"So, is that the yes I've been waiting for?" He asked softly, picking me up and cradling me close like I was a tiny child. I nodded against his chest, shaking all over suddenly all the horrors of the day crashing down on me I clung to him whimpering.

"Oh Saja..." He murmured- carrying me from the hall- strong arms protecting me, a refuge. "It's alright, please don't cry..." I struggled to obey, to not weep to be happy... I nestled into him, trying to block out everything but August.

coffee and writing is a superior duo
— LadyBug