z

Young Writers Society

Blind River

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 am
Light_Devil! says...

Blind River

This storybook has no set plot. You merely have characters. Wherever your character has come from, it matters not. They can come from the future, the past, a mythical realm, the end of time. It’s your character.

~~~

The flow of water awakes you, trickling by your ear as you slumber. You wake up next to a river you have never seen before, along with everyone else. You are in a world you do not understand completely, but some things may seem familiar to you.

The clothes you are wearing are not yours, they feel odd - the weaves different, the texture complex. The bag hanging by your side is not yours, it's heavy with goods, but what exactly is inside it - you're not entirely sure. There's bound to be secret compartments in it that you might never find.

In fact, the only thing that is yours is your memory and yourself.

And you’re not too sure about those two things either, as a throbbing flows through your body, something you’ve just become aware of. An unexplainable energy, which might've once brushed against your mind, now floods every single one of your blood vessels, intoxicating you with the promise of something... powerful.

There are only a few things you should keep in mind:

Spoiler! :
1) Characters should not be overly powerful or knowledgeable.

2) Correct grammar, punctuation and spelling should be used at all appropriate times.

3) Please don't drop out of this story. Try to remain faithful.

4) The most important:

This is more like a game than a story. And I am the game-master. This may annoy you at some points, but as the game-master I will be controlling.

I will not change your characters. I will give queues and I will PM you privately when I think something of interest can happen which you may find amusing.

If you are familiar with RPG concepts, this should be helpful:

I will be every NPC. I will give you every quest. I am the rules and I am the punishment. I will be the chance and your luck.

You are the characters, but I am the world you inhabit.

Warning: I will keep tabs on what’s happening. I will give out experience points for the ones who deserve it. If you wish to know any specific information, please feel free to PM me.

(If you wish for an exception to any of the above starting conditions PM me.)

Please post your character to the official discussion thread.

Character Profile:

Name:
Weight (kg):
Height (cm):
Appearance:

Choice of attire: (One* of the following ten:)

Spoiler! :
1 - Dragon Armour
Speed - 1
Defense - 10
Mana Absorb – 1
Weight – 45kg

2 - Heavy Armour
Speed - 2
Defense - 8
Mana Absorb – 2
Weight – 40kg

3 - Enchanted Armour
Speed - 3
Defense - 6
Mana Absorb - 3
Weight – 35kg

4 - Tunic
Speed - 10
Defense - 1
Mana Absorb – 1
Weight – 5kg

5 - Light Armour
Speed - 8
Defense - 2
Mana Absorb - 2
Weight – 10kg

6 - Tunic Armour
Speed - 6
Defense - 3
Mana Absorb – 3
Weight – 15kg

7 - Silk
Speed - 1
Defense - 1
Mana Absorb - 10
Weight – 30kg

8 - Robes
Speed - 2
Defense - 2
Mana Absorb - 8
Weight – 25kg

9 - Cloth
Speed - 3
Defense - 3
Mana Absorb – 6
Weight – 20kg

10 – Enchanted Cloth Armour
Speed - 4
Defense - 4
Mana Absorb – 4
Weight – 27kg

Choice of weapon: (One* of the following ten:)

Spoiler! :
1 – War Hammer
Speed - 1
Attack - 10
Mana Bonus - 1
Weight – 22.5kg

2 – Battle Axe
Speed - 2
Attack - 8
Mana Bonus - 2
Weight – 20kg

3 – Great Sword
Speed - 3
Attack - 6
Mana Bonus – 3
Weight – 17.5kg

4 – Yew Bow
Speed - 10
Attack - 1
Mana Bonus – 1
Weight – 2.5kg

5 – Throwing Daggers
Speed - 8
Attack - 2
Mana Bonus - 2
Weight – 5kg

6 – Oak Bow
Speed - 6
Attack - 3
Mana Bonus - 3
Weight – 7.5kg

7 - Staff
Speed - 1
Attack - 1
Mana Bonus - 10
Weight – 15kg

8 - Rapier
Speed - 2
Attack - 2
Mana Bonus - 8
Weight – 12.5kg

9 – Enchanted Short-sword
Speed - 3
Attack - 3
Mana Bonus – 6
Weight – 10kg

10 – Sword
Speed – 4
Attack – 4
Mana Bonus – 4
Weight – 13kg

Choice of potions: (One* of the following twelve:)

Spoiler! :
1 – Health Regeneration Potion (HRP)
2 – Mana Regeneration Potion (MRP)
3 – Speed Boost Potion (SBP)
4 – Defense Boost Potion (DBP)
5 – Attack Boost Potion (ABP)
6 – Mana Absorb Boost Potion (MABP)
7 – Mana Bonus Boost Potion (MBBP)
8 – Capacity Boost Potion (CBP)
9 – Change Attire Potion (CAP)
10 – Change Weapon Potion (CWP)
11 - Stamina Regeneration Potion (SRP)
12 - Stamina Boost Potion (StBP)

They are all self-explanatory.

*If you wish to discuss having more than one of the choices, please PM me. Also, if you wish to have a different weapon or attire or potion, feel free to PM me and we’ll talk about it.

Attributes: (as you start off at level 3, you have 6 ability points to spend)*:

Spoiler! :
Speed – 5
(This will affect your speed overall, allowing your stamina to regenerate faster. The accumulated points of Speed, Attack and Defense will be increases to your capacity and stamina as well. The only difference is that stamina goes up in tens, whilst capacity stays as ones.)

Attack – 5
(This will affect your attack overall, allowing you to attack with more damage. The accumulated points of Speed, Attack and Defense will be increases to your capacity and stamina as well. The only difference is that stamina goes up in tens, whilst capacity stays as ones.)

Defense - 5
(This will affect your defense overall, allowing you to withstand greater attacks. The accumulated points of Speed, Attack and Defense will be increases to your capacity and stamina as well. The only difference is that stamina goes up in tens, whilst capacity stays as ones.)

Mana – 5
(This will affect your mana overall, allowing you to cast more spells and regenerate mana faster. Each point you spend on this increases your mana by 2^p, where p is the amount of points you have spent on this in total.)

Physical Skill – 5
(This will allow you to do more physically technical things, such as dodging or assassinating or even picking locks. I will PM you the details of your skill, as you increase these points.)

Accuracy – 5
(This will allow your attacks to hit closer to your mark and towards more vital areas. I will PM you the details of your accuracy, as you increase these points.)

Charisma – 5
(This will allow you to talk to other inhabitants easier, and will lower the price of goods. Information on certain subjects might be PM'd to you as this skill increases.)

Health – 5
(This will affect your health overall, allowing you more health and faster health regeneration. Each point you spend on this increases your health by 2^p, where p is the amount of points you have spent on this in total.)

*Please include all stats, not just the ones you have decided to upgrade.

At Lvl 3, which your character is currently on, you have the measure of:

Health: 300/300
Mana: 300/300
Stamina: 300/300
Gold: 100g

Capacity (Height/Weight)*:
Spoiler! :
Below 1 = 65kg
1 to 2 = 75kg
2 to 3 = 85kg
3 to 4 = 75kg
Above 4 = 65kg

*You cannot carry more than your capacity allows you to. P.S Please add together your weapon and attire weight and place it as a fraction out of your actual capacity. Such as 20kg/75kg.

There will be more to add to your profile once this story gets started (such as class, and all that jazz). However, you should have an idea of what your character is going to be like.

At the start of a general post, it should ways look something like this:

Azrael Linx, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 300/300.
(Experience to next level: 100)

If you have any questions, please direct them to the DT or PM me.

Template:

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Weight (kg):[/b]
[b]Height (cm):[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]

[u]Choice of [color=#0000BF]attire[/color]: (One of the following ten:)[/u]

Insert Chosen Attire (And Info) Here

[u]Choice of [color=#BF0000]weapon[/color]: (One of the following ten:)[/u]

Insert Chosen Weapon (And Info) Here

[u]Choice of [color=#800080]potions[/color]: (One of the following twelve:)[/u]

Insert Chosen Potion Here

[u][color=#804000]Attributes[/color]: (as you start off at level 3, you have 6 ability points to spend):[/u]

Speed – 5
Attack – 5
Defense - 5
Mana – 5
Physical Skill – 5
Accuracy – 5
Charisma – 5
Health – 5

[b]Health:[/b] 300/300
[b]Mana:[/b] 300/300
[b]Stamina:[/b] 300/300
[b]Gold:[/b] 100g
[b]Capacity (Height/Weight)*:[/b]Insert Capacity Range Here

If you wish to know what a character profile looks like, please find my example in the DT.

I also have a tutorial for filling in a character profile, if you are at all confused by what I have written here.
Last edited by Light_Devil! on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:30 am
ShootingStars says...

For the most part I see what you mean, but I'm a little confused on the stats. How do we know when certain ones go up or down? Once I get this figured out then I'll probably join. Great job with the planning! :D
---Shooting Stars
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

73 Reviews

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:45 am
View Likes
Light_Devil! says...

The attributes? Or the effects from weapons or attire? You may find some answers in the DT.

However, if that doesn't help, ask anything you want there or in a PM.

:3

And thanks!
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:35 am
View Likes
theangryblob says...

GUUUUUUUUURL I'M JOINING. Remember me from dA? ;)

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:12 pm
ShootingStars says...

How many people do we need to start?
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

73 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:47 am
Light_Devil! says...

5 or 6. :P
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 am
Redfang18 says...

I'm a slow learner at this. Sorry.
Last edited by Redfang18 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

73 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:51 am
Light_Devil! says...

Pssst, Fang, please put this on the DT. :P Also, you might want to check out the tutorial or my example character. :P

Don't worry, hun, it's fine. XD

If anyone wants to contact me ASAP, I'm currently in the Chat Room A.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

73 Reviews

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 am
Light_Devil! says...

Alick, Trader, NPC, Blind River Path, (Hidden Quest).

A man, a trader wearing average garb that was just a bit dusty from his journeying, stepped wearily along the dirt path, dragging a small worn out wagon behind him. The sun beat down on him, causing sweat to bead on his forehead and leak down his brow into his right eye. With a curse at the Goddess Kali of the weather, he contemplated taking a break on the banks of Blind River.

Alick cackled a bit at the title, thinking back on stories about the origin of the name. Apparently, the river was named so for it's strange magical abilities. It was said to birth the famous and infamous alike, with claims such as kings or queens and even tyrants or assassins. Rumours whispered that the men and women who were born on Blind River were already full-grown. Alick trudged along, looking longingly at the cool turquoise water gushing just a few body-widths away. He could already smell the pureness of it and swallowed thirstily.

As Alick approached, he tried to remember the exact reason it was called Blind River. In a sudden epiphany, which made the old man grin, he realised the title must've stemmed from the comedy telling of an old myth. It was said the current king of Alidor had descended from someone Blind River had birthed. The king's ancestor was said to appear one day at the river claiming he had never seen purple water before.

And in reply to this, a man exclaimed, "Have you been blind all your life?"

Finally reaching the banks, Alick closed his eyes and with a heavy sigh, he eased the weight off his shoulders to wipe the offending drop of sweat away. After giving his eyes a satisfying rub, he opened them up and glanced at the river. The flowing waters were almost seductive and Alick had to resist the need to dive into the depths. Instead, he leant down and cupped some of the precious liquid in his hands and took a long draught.

When he was finished, he collapsed onto his bottom and let out a loud and satisfied, "Ahh."

It was then he noticed four or maybe five still bodies at the other side of the river. Worried that they weren't alive, Alick shot up and hurried over, his brows creased in concern.

When he got there, realising their chests were still rising and falling, albeit a bit slowly, he let out a sigh of relief. They appeared merely to be drowsing. Alick scrunched his nose in distaste. Everyone knew it wasn't a good idea to nap by large bodies of water. People who usually did, disappeared and never returned.

The senior man cleared his throat loudly hoping to politely stir them from their slumber. Coming closer, he gave them a once over. One of them had fiery red hair and Alick swallowed in fright; there were many superstitions about people with said hair colour. Two women were fairly normal looking, one with short black hair, the other with long blonde hair.

Something looked to be poking up from the blonde one's braids and it made Alick pause. Was that a... pointed ear? Alick stepped back, aghast. A demon! A demon and a fiery servant of evil. What were such beings doing napping here?

Out of all of them, the male and the black-headed girl appeared most normal. For a second, Alick wondered what such average people were doing around beings of maliciousness.

Though he thought almost half of them weren't entirely good people, it didn't mean they didn't have good money. And Alick hadn't made nearly enough from his current trade-route. He'd be going home almost empty handed if he didn't sell what he had on him currently.

So he made his choice. Alick cleared his throat again, louder this time. One of them stirred. Almost got it, Alick grinned his toothy smile.

"A-hem! Excuse me!" the trader said, finally giving up on being polite.

And then they all awoke unanimously. Alick blinked in confusion, but didn't let it step by him, "I happened to noticed you sleeping here and came to warn you about the river monsters. And since I've potentially saved your life, would you be willing to help an old man with some monetary issues?"

They turned to stare blankly at him. Alick let out a sigh. Obviously, whoever they were, they didn't speak any Alidorian. He licked his lips, muttered a few words and touched them all briefly on the head. Still dazed, they couldn't resist.

"That better, children? Can you understand me now?" Alick asked.

With no answer, Alick wondered if his translation spell was a bit rusty. And then finally one of them spoke.

(Be aware, I've left the number of people on the river a bit ambiguous so Fang could still be there. I'll let Fang post and I'm working with his to correct his profile now.)
Last edited by Light_Devil! on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:52 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Raven, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340.

She did not understand. Not what the man said or where she was or what this feeling building up inside of her could be. None of it was familiar to Raven. Strange land. Strange clothes. Strange people. She was vaguely aware that to be dressed in things that weren't hers, somebody must have stripped her naked and it was only a passing comfort that most of the people around her were female.

Raven bared her teeth at the man a little as he touched her on the head, but she was too confused to do more than that. Then she scrambled back as the sounds coming out of his mouth began to make sense; what kind of magic was this! Was he a sorcerer? Where Raven came from, magic users were to be feared and treated with great care. You might never know what they were capable of!

"What do you want from me?" Raven asked, presuming that it must have been he who had brought her here. She turned to observe the other strangers and found the colouring of one strange. Her hair was like the sun! Certainly she must be a sorcerer as well and Raven took a step away from her, toward the other female with whom she felt much more comfortable. Red hair was a very lucky trait; it meant the fire Gods were watching over her and maybe if Raven stayed close, she could borrow some of that luck for herself.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 pm
Laminated says...

Eleven blinked her eyes and grimaced as the old man muttered. He tapped her orange curls with his sorcery and his warning began to clarify in her ears.

One of the others- there were others, around her- piped up, "What do you want from me?" Eleven was about to second her question, but the girl shot her a strange look and she decided against it; choosing instead to adopt an arrogant stance and quickly survey the others.

They all seemed just as confused as she was, and just as determined to hide it. Eleven formulated her own question for the man. "Where am I?"
I'M GUNNA MAKE DIS PLACE YO HOME

73 Reviews

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:32 am
Light_Devil! says...

The old man took in their reactions. The young raven-head seemed to be the opposite of afraid of the worshiper of evil, she seemed in awe. And their responses. Alick shook his head. There was something off about these youngins. And Alick wasn't entirely sure what.

"What do you want from me?" asked the scared black-haired girl.

Before the trader got a chance to reply, the fiery-haired one spoke up, "Where am I?"

Alick was taken aback for a moment, but then a large grin swept over his face as he realised what they were doing, he cackled, "You little jesters. The next thing you'll be saying is "I've never seen a purple river before". Trying to pull my leg, are you?"

They glanced towards the flowing violet stream of Blind River.

Spoiler! :
(Psst, Laminated, please start your post like Rydia did. With all the details. XD Also, Fang's character has been corrected. Please include the character, somewhat in your responses. I made the starting number ambiguous for a reason. XD)
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:18 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif

Several hours earlier...

The mechanical marvel that stood before Grif was unlike anything he had ever seen. Pipes and steam seemed to come from every orfice, electricity sparked from tesla coils. It stood ten stories tall and glowed a bright pink.

"Well, what do you think?" Nate asked the moderators present.

"What is it?" Snoink asked.

"It's the latest feature of YWS Apollo: we're bringing back Sanctum!"

"Yay!" the Mods yelled out. The celebrations were short, all except for Grif, who was particularly excited.

"Can I try it first?" Grif asked.

"Sure! Follow me!" Nate said. He led Grif to a chair at the center of the device.

"How does it work?"

"Well, first you sit down in the chair below the matter converter. Then you activate the main countdown sequence and then you become totally immersed in the game."

"Sounds risky..." Snoink said.

"Let's do it!" Grif said, activating the main countdown sequence. Energy crackled overhead as the machine began to whirl. There was a shout, a flashing of light, and then everything went dark.

Present

Grif woke up on the side of the river bank to the sound of voices. His first thought was that his helmet was malfunctioning, because he couldn't see anything; but the more alarming realization came when he realized he had no helmet at all. In fact, the moderator armor that had been carefully designed by SPEW was nowhere to be found.

Grif sprang up instinctively and looked around; only to have a second realization: namely that the sun was a lot brighter without his visor. His came up and covered his eyes; but all it really did was put sand in them. He staggered around; half blinded and disoriented; and inevitably found himself vomiting in the river. Finally, when it was over; he looked at the purple water.

"This is the worst video game ever," Grif muttered. He got up and turned around; to find himself face to face with an old merchant and some beautiful women. They were staring at him.

"Are you-" one of them started to say, but Grif interrupted her by holding a hand up.

"Just a moment-" Grif said and closed his eyes. The disorientation had worn off and now he put things together. The machine must have sent him into a video game. It explained the nausea, the lack of his SPEW Commando gear, the high concentration of beautiful women, and the purple river. And if the old man was a geezer that would be killed later on, then that would explain everything.

He now did a status check. He was alive and all parts seemed to be functioning within normal parameters. And while his normal clothing was absent; he was still dressed in a form of armor. Near where he had gotten up was an Oak Bow, a quiver of arrows, and a discrete looking potion. And inside his pocket was a number of coins.

"I'm fine," Grif said.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:17 am
Redfang18 says...

Declan, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340

He groaned as he got back on his feet. He didn't know where or how he got in this territory, but he wasn't going to let that get the best of him. Instead, he studied his surroundings. He was among other strangers at a purple river bank. This he understood easily. The one standing before him and the others gave Declan the impression of a trader of some sort. He studied his attire a little bit, since the others didn't seem to have the time. His cloak was a bit wet from the river, but his armor was a good fit. His sack, also a bit soaked from the river but full with his currency and staff. Under the hood of his cloak, he smiled. He was grateful he was still alive. He approached the trader and asked, "Where are we exactly?" He needed to know where he and the others were before he could move on with them.
Last edited by Redfang18 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

73 Reviews

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:35 am
Light_Devil! says...

Alick smiled at the young man, who appeared to be slightly disoriented and watched as one of the other men vomited violently into the river. Not a good action... The river monsters weren't usually amused by someone defiling their home. Alick swallowed his nerves and tried to grin politely at the group.

"Well, you all are at Blind River. Did you boys and girls get lost?" Alick replied to the demanding young man who had asked.

"Oh, by the way, I'm Alick. Alick Dredjun," he reached his hand over to shake theirs.

None of them accepted and the trader cackled, "Ahh, I can't blame you for your distrust. These are bad times. Evil..." his eyes flicked to the red head and demon for a moment and cleared his throat, "Ahem, there are dark things amongst us now. Death lurks the villages of Alidorn and Life seems to have fled."

A gust of wind whistled through the silence, an ominous feeling settling on the group. After a moment to let them gain their bearings, Alick decided it was now or never.

"Say, if I were to give you all a favour, would you grant me one?" Alick asked, raising an eyebrow.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
— Niels Bohr