Young Writers Society

Brythilon

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:41 am
Sassafras says...

Brythilon

One year ago on this day, the Mad King, Rionir Esteri, was overthrown, killed by Lord Pyrior of the East Kingdom, Syrlia. Now, King Elish Pyrior sits on the throne, but not everything is as joyous as the Capitol makes it seem.

In the East, the Pyriors' are settling into their new home after the cloud of rumors and betrayals settled. But, with the ever-looming threat of a fissure between the kingdoms and the mutterings of a faulty king on the throne, Syrlia's name and honor is on its last thread of hope.

In the North, the Terrick's of Jrayce stew in quiet anger, remembering how hard they worked to bring down the Mad King, only to have all their progress abused by the sneaky Pyriors who wormed their way into the Terrick's army and took the King for themselves.

In the West, the Itaro's of Rapbhutan are drowning in debt towards Syrlia after borrowing money to fund their war against Thilieon, which they lost. Now poor and with more than half of their army dead, they are struggling to recover.

In the South, tension is rising as the Lysiria's of Wearwater are forced to deal with a dangerous increase of population due to the mass amount of foreigners entering the city. Despite being the trade-kingdom, the garden of Brythilon, they are having quite a bit of trouble keeping control of their trade routes and also feeding their people.

And far out on an island in the sea, the Esteri's of Myddrin wait, plotting, preparing to avenge their fallen King, and to take what they believe is rightfully theirs.

The fate of Brythilon is on the verge of collapse as the alliances that were so carefully woven for centuries threaten to shake themselves apart.

Characters:

The Ruling Families

Pryiors' of the East:
King Eklish Pyriors - 35
Queen Furia Pyriors - 31
Lord Orion - 15
Princess Shranda (not born yet)

Itaro's of the West:
Lord Itaeo Itaro - 25
Lady Netari Itaro - 18 when she died
Prince Haroun - 2
Lady Minnah Itaro - 17

Terrick's of the North:
Lord Royce Terrick - 41
Lady Andrea Terrick - 38
Prince Sterling - 20
Prince Chester - 18
Princess Malina- 16
Princess Chacily - 14

Lysiria's of the South:
Lord Andrew Lysiria - 42 when he died
Lady Rosalie Lysiria - 38
Prince Alec - 16
Princess Alyssa - 18
Princess Katherine - 12

Other Nobles

Esteri's of Myddrin

Non-Royals

The Hunter's Family
Hayes
Lia
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:02 pm
Sassafras says...

Sterling Terrick - The Capitol, "Red's Tarvern"

"It's not like I ever asked to be heir."

"You tell me all about it, sweetheart."

Sterling sighed and opened his eyes, starring up at the face of a girl whose name he couldn't be bothered to remember. Her hair was short and brown and her skin smelled of home in a way that he couldn't explain and that was all that mattered in nights and early morning. He should have left when the sun began to rise. His brain didn't want to admit that he was missing Jryace but his feet still somehow led him to the north wall of the Capitol, his will the only thing forcing him to remain within the gates.

The girl's fingers combed out his hair, which was growing longer by the day. She was not very pretty, but she was nice and quiet. Jewels and pearls hung from her ears and neck. She did work hard. His eyes found that hefty sack of coin laying on her bedside table and, with a sudden urge of distaste, he glared at her and sat up quickly, nearly knocking her chin. She startled for a moment before smiling fondly and fixing her dress.

"You northerners are all the same," she breathed lowly into the heavy air.

"I'm nothing like them," he snapped. "I should have been born a farmer."

"You'd be good with a hoe."

"Wearwater isn't that bad."

"The girls will adore you."

Sterling scoffed at that and went on a search for the rest of his outfit. He mainly visited the brothel as a silent rebellion towards his father, who'd always hated the places. Lord Royce was never a fan of money spent in frivolous and wasteful ways, and buying women was both of those things plus a whole list of others that the Lord shuddered to imagine. Sterling sneered at the thought of his father's own look of disapproval.

Today was the first anniversary of the Mad King's fall, and Sterling knew his father would be visiting the Capitol out of courtesy at the least and wanted nothing to do with a reunion. He'd been away from home for at least two moon cycles, hiding out with the commoners and people who did not yet know him as future Lord. Take word of mouth and everyone was a future Lord in the Capitol. He was nothing special here, and he liked it that way.

"The girls in the South are beautiful, you say?"

"And almost always naked," the girl teased.

"Great. Where can I buy a horse?"

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:24 pm
Shadowlight says...

Spoiler! :
it;s short, it's bad- I know, deal with it. XD

Itaeo Itaro-the West:

A shrill cry jerked Itaeo from his uneasy sleep, he sat bolt upright in bed and looked about wild eyed, there the cry was again, a pitiful, mournful noise, like a dove lost on the wild step. Rising from his cot he padded quickly across the rooms of his tent to his sons little curtained off space,

"Shh, little Dragon, shh." Murmuring sleepily while he pulled the babe up from his little bed. "Daddy's here now- hush. it's alright. Haroun wound his little arms about his fathers neck and clung there- whole frame shaking with his sobs. Itaeo sat crossed legged on the soft matting, rubbing the boys back soothingly. "No monster will get you, not while daddy's here to protect you. Shh, be brave Little Dragon."

"Is he alright?" Itaeo turned, the doorway framed the figure of his sister, her long hair braided simply for sleep. Itaeo nodded,

"He's fine- just, he can't seem to sleep through the night yet.... I don't understand it.. isn't he old enough?" Minnah sat beside him and rested her head on his shoulder,

"He's young still Itaeo, give him time. Remember mama said It can take a while."

"I know it's just.... evey night he wakes up crying..." Itaeo chewed his lip, his heart ached.

"Itaeo... Itaeo don't... he's only a child how can he be grieving?" Itaeo looked up,

"Because he knows Minnah, I can see it in his eyes he knows somethings missing. he knows his mother is gone."

"Itaeo you have to stop dwelling on that... how are either of you going to move on? you both need to be brave." She said arching a brow- giving him back his own words to think over. "I'll sit with him so you can sleep- you have to be off early tomorrow...." she trailed off.

For days they had been arguing over the wisdom of him going to the capitol, showing his face there. Itaeo was for it, seeing what the other leaders were like, surveying his enemies. Minnah and his mother on the other hand were set against it- both fearing for his safety.

"No, I want to sit with him a while- go back to sleep Minnah." Alone once again Itaeo looked down at his now sleeping son, nestled against him trustingly. his tiny features, little nose, little lips- long lashes, itaeo's heart gave another painful pang- the boy looked so much like this dead mother, and reminded itaeo more sharply how alone he really was.
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu May 01, 2014 6:27 pm
Alvarin says...

Lia | Myddrin, Rhames' room
Was the dress bulky enough to hide the slight bulge of my stomach? He'll kill me. I had never asked for this, for any of this, and yet I couldn't make myself resent it. I loved my master, so how could I not love our child? He'll kill me. I had heard the rumors from the other slaves, how masters would kill the child and sometimes the slave along with it, so that they wouldn't have to support any bastards.

I turned my side to the mirror again, sucking in my stomach as much as I could, knowing no one would see it if they didn't look closely, but not feeling any safer. He would look closer, and he would see, if not today, then soon. I had no idea what he would do. He was unpredictable. He could be cruel one moment to be wonderfully sweet the next, and knowing that not just my life, but our child's was in his hands terrified me. It's not like it was ever any different. My master had owned me for as long as I could remember, and as long as he kept me he'd be the one to decide if I lived or died. What if he doesn't kill me? The thought crossed my mind before I could push it away, and for a moment I felt hope.. But I couldn't let myself feel like that. I knew very well that if master decided to care for our child it would be the greatest thing that could've happened to me. I would most likely be allowed to age with as much dignity as a slave could, and I'd get to see our child grow up. It won't happen. He doesn't care about you.

"Lost in thoughts?" Master raised an eyebrow as I turned around with a start, leaning against the closed door and smiling slightly. "What are you thinking about?"

"I.." I had tensed automatically, and I was pretty sure fear was showing on my face, so I forced myself to relax and tried to smile a little. He seemed to be in a good mood, and I didn't want it to go away. "I was just thinking that it'd be nice if you didn't go out so much, my lord." I bowed my head slightly as a sign of respect, something I had gotten so used to doing that it was almost automatic. "Do you want me to pour you a drink or get you some food?" I couldn't suck my stomach in any further now, or it'd look like I was tensing again. Do I look pale? My eyes went to the mirror for a second, to confirm that I didn't look anywhere near as composed as I wished to. He's going to kill me.

He pushed himself off the door, walking slowly to me. "Tell me, Lia... what's the matter, really?" Stopping in front of me, he observed my expression closely, and his smile slowly faded. No, please don't. Don't see. "I don't want any drink or food, no. I came to see you, but I find you in a strange mood, so tell me. What's troubling you?"

I didn't have an answer, so I just stood there, staring somewhere on his chest rather than looking into his eyes. Lies and acting usually came so easily to me, but now.. Could he hear me heartbeat? I had never heard it so loud, nor had I ever felt myself go cold with fear like this before. "N-no.. It's really nothing, my lord. You shouldn't worry about me." I gently put my hands on his chest, wishing he'd just hug me and tell me it'd be alright, but I knew he wouldn't do that. I forced myself to smile, though it was even more difficult than before. "I'm sorry, master, I didn't mean to ruin your mood. Are you sure there's nothing I can do for you?" Please, ask me to get something. Anything.

"I'm sure." He pulled me closer, stroking my cheek with his knuckles. "You're lying. I can see you're upset, and I want to know why." His eyes narrowed slightly. "I haven't been away for so long. Is it something you don't trust me with? Because I don't like the idea of such a thing existing."

I shook my head quickly. Having him so close, asking about how I felt, was both charming and terrifying at once. Don't tense. "No, it's nothing like that." I realized the mistake a bit too late. "It's nothing at all." Was I trembling? I didn't think I was, but my heartbeat was going crazy, and I didn't know for how long I'd be able to keep my breathing calm. He'd find out sooner or later anyway, I knew that, but I had hoped it'd be later.. Far later. I can't let him kill the child. I can't. I felt strangely protective, more so than I had before, and I had to stop myself from putting my hands on my stomach. "It's nothing at all, so please don't worry about it, master."

"Are you sure?" He stayed serious for a long moment, still watching me like he was trying to read my expression, and finally nodded slowly. "Very well.. you don't have to tell me." His hands traveled up my back and over my shoulders, stopping at the sides of my neck, and he smiled a bit again. "Not right now, that is. But you know how much I dislike it when people are keeping secrets from me, don't you?"

I nodded a bit, looking down to hide my expression. He's going to kill me. It proved impossible to keep my voice completely steady. "Yes, master, I know. You've told me before." I bit my lip hard, and then looked up at him, but wasn't able to look back into those dark blue eyes for more than brief moment, before looking down on his chest again. There was something in his eyes that frightened me, there always had been. They could be warm, but it was very rare that he looked at me with that kind of obvious warmth like he had when he looked at Zea. He doesn't care about you. Stop lying to yourself. "What do you want to do now then?"

"Hm.." He wrapped his arm around me, smiling a somewhat teasing smile, keeping one hand on my back and the other still around my neck, but not squeezing. "What do you think? I have been away, after all. I missed your.. charms."

If he pulled me any closer he might feel it through the dress, even though I sucked my stomach in, and if he took the dress off.. But I couldn't possibly refuse. I had no right to deny him anything he wanted. I smiled a bit, and then brushed my lips against his, burying my hands in his hair as I did so. He'll see. This is it. I can't hide it anymore. He'll find out and he'll kill us both.

He moved suddenly, pushing my back against the wall and standing close, his finger slowly traveling down my cheek. "Tears?" No, I can't be crying. Not now. He wasn't smiling anymore. "Lia, tell me what's going on. Right now."

I couldn't keep myself from trembling anymore, shaking my head slightly, wanting to run away. "N-no. Please, master.. It's nothing." It's too late. I'm dead. I'm already dead, there's no point in hiding it. "Just let me make you happy, please?" I turned my head to kiss the hand that was touching my face. "Please, master?" My voice was far beyond pleading, and yet it didn't fully convey the desperation and the fear that I felt. My reaction to it was starting to frighten me as well. I had never trembled like this, or had my heart race and my breathing go out of control. I'm already dead.

His hand gripped my neck tighter, though still not nearly tightly enough to cut my breathing. "I wasn't asking you a question. When I tell you to do something, you do it. Tell me, or I'll make you tell me."

What little safety and stability I had come to rely on had crumbled, and I was once again nothing but a possession, a disposable one. I'm dead. "I'm sorry.. I.." I put my hands over my stomach instinctively as I whispered the words. I didn't know if he had heard me, I hoped he hadn't, and I felt a strange kind of relief. He knew, and I didn't need to hide it anymore, and now he would have us killed. "Will you kill us now?" My voice was a little stronger now, but not much, and I was acutely aware of his hand around my neck. He probably won't do it himself though. No, he'd tell a guard or a servant, someone he trusted.

He said nothing for a long moment, keeping perfectly still. "...is it mine?" His fingers tensed slightly, but he still didn't squeeze. "Try not to lie this time, for your own good."

I couldn't help but feel surprised, glancing up at him for a moment. Didn't he know how I felt about him? "Of course it is.. I've never.." I let my voice trail off. Did he really not know? Does it matter? Even if he knew how I felt it wouldn't change anything. Maybe he would spare me if I had told him that it was someone else's child. It'd be just another slave, and not his bastard. I forced myself to look up at him again, and this time I didn't look down again. There was nothing I could do to sway him in one direction or another, but that didn't matter that I wasn't afraid. "Are you going to kill us?"

He frowned slightly, meeting my eyes. "What do you think? Would I kill my child, my daughter's brother or sister?"

I didn't know. I didn't think he could hurt anyone in his family, but I wasn't part of that family. I was only a slave, and our child would be the child of a slave. Would a lord really want a child like that? Is he fooling me, or is there really a chance? "I don't.." I hugged my stomach a little tighter. "I don't know. I'm a slave, I.. I don't know. I was told masters usually kill their slaves if they're with child, because they don't want any bastards." Could it be? I knew my master was an illegitimate child, even though I'd never dare speak about it. Maybe he understood?

He smirked. "Yes, they do indeed.." He let me go, taking a step back. "But no, I won't kill either of you." He licked his lips. "What were you thinking, that I'd never find out?"

He's not going to kill us? It took some time to even register that he had asked me a question after that, and expected some kind of answer. "I.. I don't know. I knew you'd find out, but I.." I didn't know what to think or feel. I wanted to scream with joy, but at the same time there was a small part of me that warned me that he might be tricking me.. Though I knew that wasn't true. He could be cruel at times, but never that cruel. Without any warning, acting on a sudden impulse, I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him, even though I didn't know if he wanted me to. "Thank you." The tears were running down my cheeks again, but I didn't care. "Thank you, master. Thank you so much." Before I knew it the questions were pouring out of my mouth, even though I knew I had no right to ask. "Will the child be a slave? Will I get to raise the child? W-will I get to see the child grow up?"

He put his finger on my lips, silencing the questions. "Calm down." A tiny smile found its way to his lips again as he wiped away my tears, staying silent for quite some time. "The relationship between you and myself will not change. You're mine, and you'll stay mine.. but he or she won't be a slave. They'll get protection and education and everything else they'll need, and yes, you'll see him or her grow up. I won't keep you away from each other, but I repeat, what you and I have won't be changed when the baby is born."

I nodded a little, struggling to hold my tears back. I had never though that I'd feel happiness like that, so overwhelming and fulfilling, made so much greater by how worried and afraid I had been before. "I understand." I didn't care that my voice was trembling. I doubted he had ever heard me so happy and grateful, and I wanted him to know how I felt. "Thank you." Our child would grow up as a free person, and learn to read and write and do all those things that I only dreamed I could. He'd be taken care of, and he'd be safe. "Thank you." I probably repeated that a few more times, as I felt like I couldn't say it enough times, but then I thought of another question. It didn't really matter anymore, as I had already gotten more than I could've ever wanted or ask for, but I still couldn't help thinking about it. "Master.. May I ask another question?" I reached up to brush my lips against his again, his presence once again making me feel safe rather than afraid.

He looked curious, brushing a strand of my hair from my face calmly. "Yes..? What is it?"

"It's.." I hesitated for a moment, but then decided to go on. He seemed to be in a good mood again, and I wanted an honest answer. "It's not that important anymore.." I smiled down at my stomach, as thinking of that child made me feel warm. "..but I was wondering. What will happen to me when I grow ugly and old? Will I be sold or put to work in the kitchen? I know that when I can't work and can't be sold anymore I'll probably be killed or put on the street, but I'm wondering what will happen before that." Maybe I was asking too much? He probably hadn't made up his mind about that, or even given it a thought. Masters often weren't as aware of the value of a slave as the slave themselves, and I was always thinking about it. Using the mirror in master's room to see if my face showed any sign of age or weather, knowing that anything I found would bring me closer to the grave. But I shouldn't worry about that now. Today is a happy day.

He took my hand, walking towards to bed and sitting down, shrugging slightly. "By the time you get old, I'll probably be dead, so it's not quite of my concern." His eyes slid up and down over me, but it wasn't unpleasant. His gaze wasn't sharp or cold, or any of those things, it was just there, and I was familiar to it, I even liked it. "You're a long way from being old and ugly, though, don't worry about that."

I felt slightly disappointed. I couldn't help it, even though I knew the answer he had given me would be as good as I would ever get. I smiled a little, walking closer and burying a hand in his hair. "Thank you, my lord. That's very kind of you to say." Slowly I undid the clasps of my dress, letting it fall down to the floor.

Chrysoprase (Cry) Geriars | The Capitol
My head hurt.. A lot. Not that I wasn't used to it, but that didn't make it any less unpleasant.

"Here you go, Sir. This always helps me on a rough morning."

I took the cup that the servant hold out to me and peered into it, letting out a quiet sigh of relief when I saw that the content didn't look as disgusting as it smelled. "Thank you.." I waited for the servant to leave my room before taking a deep breath, pinching my nose before drinking the whole thing in one big gulp, dangerously close to gagging, but somehow I managed to keep it down. Normally I'd just stay in bed until my head didn't feel like it was slowly imploding, but I was in the Capitol now, and my sister was expecting me to join her for lunch. Considering that I'd be poor as a church mouse if it wasn't for the money she gave me I felt like I at least owed her to courtesy to be punctual.

I couldn't help but groan as I got up from the armchair, my legs not quite wanting to carry me, and walked over to the mirror. My clothes looked splendid, my hair was decent, but my face.. Well, it had seen better days. My eyes were red and irritated, and what little sunlight that found its way in through the curtains seemed far too bright. The dark shade surrounding them tattled about the late night I'd had. Not that I can remember how late it got. At least I was shaved.. That was always something.

Soon the celebrations of the anniversary would start, and I knew I'd have to step up. "Official diplomat of the king" was the title my sister had made up for me, and even though I didn't care for any of it I'd still need to talk to the lords and ladies that would be attending the celebrations, and try to get on their good side. Luckily for me, talking to people was something I was good at, and it wasn't especially difficult to make friends. Find out what they want and make them believe you can give it to them.. Or just charm their pants off. That worked too.

I walked through the corridors of the palace rather slowly, my head pounding with each heartbeat, not feeling any better because I drank.. Whatever it was the servant gave me. Maybe I should get her flowers. Most women like flowers. My sister wasn't "most women" but I hoped that she'd at least appreciate the gesture, so I told my servant - who had developed the convenient habit of following me around - to go get some. While waiting I went out to the palace gardens, sitting down in the shade of a big tree and closing my eyes, hoping I'd be able to get a few minutes of sleep before my servant came back and I'd have to go to the dining hall.

By the time the servant had managed to wake me up I was already late, so I took the flowers he had gotten and hurried into the dining hall, smiling sheepishly as I saw my sister waiting. I walked up to her and gave her the flowers, kissing her cheek quickly. "I'm sorry I'm late. I dozed off out in the gardens.. They're beautiful this time of the year. I didn't keep you waiting for too long, I hope?" I had only arrived the day before, and this was the first time I saw her in a month, if not longer. I still hadn't gotten used to her being the queen, and it made me slightly uneasy. I wasn't sure how formal I was supposed to be, or if I could just behave like before she became a lady and a queen. I smiled again, warmly this time, as I realized I'd missed her a bit more than I thought. "Long time no see, sis."

She smiled back at me and gave me a hug, and I froze for a moment, but then forced myself to relax again as she thanked me for the flowers and handed them to a servant to put in a vase. "Indeed it was.. Far too long. You look tired." Keeping the embrace, she leaned in to my ear, "You and I have a lot to talk about, Chrysoprase." I could hear her old, serious self underlining those words, but as soon she left the embrace, her warm smile was back, like she hadn't said anything.

I shook my head a bit, chuckling like she had told me something funny. Did she realize that I noticed? If she did, then I could only assume that she didn't want me to mention it in front of the servants. This is strange. "I'm alright, I just got to bed a bit late yesterday." Today. "We should eat, I'm starving." And you're eating for two. Normally a new royal heir would be celebrated, so why was she keeping it a secret? I glanced up at her, watching her expression and then smiling as she noticed my gaze. It's not like her. "Did you change the furniture since I was here last time? It looks different." I'd steer clear of anything serious for now, when the servants were around, and let her decide what we should talk about.

She flicked her wrist, and the servants led the way to a room on the right. Motioning me to follow, she sighed warmly and wrapped her arm in mine, "Oh yes, I had them changed just for the anniversary. You should see the patio by the dock. I've had it made up just for you when I heard you were arriving." A glimmer in her eye told me that's where we were having lunch.

"I'm honored." I couldn't help but think of what wonderful feasts one could have in a royal patio, but dismissed the though quickly. For now I'd have to keep serious, and somewhat focused. If my sister was in any type of trouble I owed it to her to help, even if the thought of pregnancies brought back memories that I'd rather leave forgotten. We walked in silence for a bit, before I asked: "How have you been? You look healthy.." I frowned slightly. "Not that you didn't look healthy the last time I saw you. But you like it here, right?"

A small frown shimmered on her face, but it was gone a moment later. "There's been some complications, but after today, I think we'll be just fine." A maid walked by with a few small drinks, and she offered me one, which I took and forced myself to only sip from. "Capitol's best?"

I nodded. "It's not bad, not at all." It's a bit small. I had never cared much about what my drinks tasted like, as long as they made me forget. "Do you mind telling me what those complications are? When I go out to the kingdoms I find myself constantly surprised by how much they seem to know about what's going on here, and how I've never heard about any of it." I shrugged quickly, chuckling a bit. "Though it might be because they're wrong.. Who knows." In order to stop myself from sweeping what was left in the glass I handed it back to the maid, smiling sweetly at her before she left. "What's so special about today?" If her troubles were going away today, then it probably had something to do with the celebration, or someone attending it. Though this is a good time to announce a pregnancy to the people. They're already celebrating.

She looked at me with a strange, all-knowing smile. "Didn't you know? After the anniversary of the new king passes, no one else can fight for the throne while he's alive." We found the patio, although it shouldn't have been called a patio, because it was more like a house with no roof. It was lovely, though my headache and my eyes told me it was far too bright.

"They can still fight.. And I'm pretty sure they will." I had been traveling in the north for a while, and had nearly gotten lynched in a small town tavern when I told the owner who I was. I'd learned the hard way that not everyone appreciated the new king. "The situation in the north is.. Tense, to say the least, and I'm sure the Esteris won't stay on their island forever." I bit my lip to stop myself from going on about it. I didn't want to worry her when there wasn't any need for it, and she was probably already aware of what I was saying.

I pulled out a chair for her by a table filled with different dishes, and then sat down by her side. I had always wondered what it was that drove her. Being the queen was far more dangerous than being the lady of Syrlia, and being a lady was more dangerous than being a duchess. I had never understood. If it was up to me we'd still be.. I caught myself before I could think of those times, as I knew it'd do nothing but pain me and give me nightmares.

I put some food on my plate, even though the thought of eating made me feel nauseous. "You need to be careful in times like this.. And I do hope the king will do the same. People didn't know it was possible to bring down a king, but now they do. It might even lead to rebellions in the kingdoms."

Furia sat down silently, tracing a pattern on the embroidered cloth with her finger. "Cry, I can handle this kingdom more than you know." Picking up a butter knife and swirling it between her fingers, she stared at me intently. "I know the troubles being Queen brings. I know what goes on in the other kingdoms. Hell, I know more than anyone." She growled and, in a sudden flash of anger, slammed the knife into the wood, startling me. She covered her face, making her look as fragile as the cloth the knife pierced through. "Cry, I need you on my side. It's too dangerous for both of us for you not to be."

I frowned. What the heck does she think about me? That I'd betray my family? "Of course I'm on your side. Don't be ridiculous. You know me, why would I turn against you?" I put my fork down again, giving up on the food. "You're the one keeping secrets, not me." I'd really like to think that I wasn't insulted, but that wasn't true. My sister was the only family I had left - that wanted to talk to me - and she was acting strange and keeping her pregnancy secret, and now doubting me as well? I wouldn't mind her doubting my skills or my dedication to my "work", but doubting my loyalty? "I would never do anything to harm my family, and you know that. Don't let your suspicion get the best of you," I warned, and then sighed as I realized I had raised my voice a bit, forcing myself to calm down. This is doing nothing for my headache. I made my voice warmer and softer. "Sis, you know you're the one I love the most in the whole wide world. I'd happily give my life for you, and your family." It wasn't a lie. Without them I had nothing left to live for, and I was well aware of that.

I leaned back in the chair, looking out over the river. This whole thing was making me uncomfortable and uneasy. It was too serious, far too serious. I didn't like acting or thinking - especially thinking - seriously. It tended to either get me hurt or think of other things that had hurt me before, and reminded me why I preferred the road rather than the Capitol.

She smiled at me, a loose smile that was obviously trying too hard to be good-natured, but it was probably the best smile she sent my way all afternoon. "I'm sorry I doubted you, Cry. It's just... well, I've been having troubles lately."

"Mm, I noticed." I glanced around, but couldn't see any servants within earshot. "I don't understand why you'd want to hide it.. It's a good thing, after all. Have you at least told Elish."

Before she could answer a messenger announced himself, and we both turned towards him. I might've been mistaken, but for a moment I thought she looked relieved. "My queen, the lord of Rapbhutan just arrived to the city."

I sighed, waving a hand at her. "You should go. He'll want to be welcomed by a proper royal." As she got up I grabbed her by the wrist, not really thinking about what I was doing. "Please, Furia, be careful."

She stood, and all evidence of our previous conversation vanished from her face. She pulled me up gently and embraced me in a firm hug. "This conversation isn't over," she whispered in my ear. When she released me her famous smirk was plastered on her face once again. "Oh, stay another night, Cry. I had that room made just for you, a suite and all!" With a small twirl of her hair, she left me alone on the deck.

Once again, I sighed, louder this time than before. I had already been planning to stay in the Capitol, but not in the palace. Oh, well.. It doesn't really matter where I sleep. She hadn't said anything about not going to a tavern, so that was exactly what I was going to do. I needed something to cure the headache, and I wasn't going to ask the servant for another one of those nasty concoctions. I'll need to ask her about the pregnancy later. I didn't want to meddle, but I had a feeling something was wrong, and even though I had an urge to just leave and forget about it all I couldn't do that to her. Maybe I should go see one of her maids.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

161 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:16 am
Sassafras says...

Terrick

"In and out. We say our respects and then we leave. If anyone asks, there's a snowbear problem in the North that needs our attention. Understand?"

"But, Papa, what about Sterling?"

Malina was shushing her younger sister before the girl could even finish her sentence. Royce's eyes grew darker at the mention of his eldest son. Sterling had run away many fortnights ago, leaving not even a note in his wake. They stopped speaking his name in the castle after the first moon cycle had passed, and called off the search parties long before even that.

"What about Sterling," Royce tested.

Andrea laid her hand gently on her husband's shoulder and Chester averted his gaze to the ground. Chacily toyed with the long strands of her hair and looked anywhere but at her father's face.

"Aren't we gonna look for him," she said, voice small. "What if he's-"

"Enough, Chacily! If you want to look for your traitor brother, you can do so by yourself."

"Royce," Andrea interjected. "Do not take out your anger on our child when she's done no wrong. Sweetheart, that's a great idea. Chester, while we're here take your sisters and make a run on the town. If you see Sterling..."

She trailed off and bit her suddenly trembling lip. Royce rolled his eyes and stalked off towards the entrance to the North Wall of the Capitol. He'd stopped his family's carriage outside it in order to have their little talk. His crew had gone on ahead, no doubt to get an early start on the celebrations and drinking. They knew their time here was limited, and he did not blame them for their excitement. Andrea watched her husband leave as she wiped the tears from her face.

"If you see Sterling," she continued, "you tell him that we miss him. Alright, sweetie?"

Malina pushed past her mother and followed her father's steps.

"It's not like we're going to find him anyway," she snapped.

Chester lowered his eyes and ran to meet his sister. Andrea smiled sadly at their backs and reached down to grab her youngest daughter's hand.

"You don't listen to them, Chaci. You don't listen to them at all."

--

Royce found his way to the King's castle without much trouble, considering it was the grandest building in the entire Capitol. He stood outside it now, face contorted into a frown he felt would never ease up. Chester stood by his side, silent as ever, waiting for the signal that they could move or do anything. While Sterling was gone, it was up to him to stand in the place of heir-until-further-notice. He'd heard his father saying that the Lords and Ladies of the four Kingdoms were supposed to meet inside, but that was all he knew of the situation.

Royce was tense all over. Some people had tried to greet him once they noticed who he was, but his glare turned all of them away. One lady made to approach them then but saw the tightness of Lord Royce's face and promptly turned around. Chester sent her a sympathetic smile and then continued to stare at his feet.

"I don't think mother's coming, dad," he murmured while pushing up dirt.

Royce grumbled something unintelligible before starting forward. None of the ladies were in sight, actually. Chester knew that Chacily and his mother were looking for Sterling, but the Malina could have been anywhere. He tried not to worry as he walked through the King's doors.

Excited chatter filled the halls and he couldn't help but to gape at the grand decorations lining the walls and hanging from the ceilings. He wished he could take off his shoes to feel the plush carpet beneath his soles. Their castle at home was grand, no doubt, but the Capitol did everything better. He heard his father scoffing at every piece of art they passed, mumbling something about money.

They continued down a long hallway until emerging into a high-ceilinged room with a large round table placed in the middle. Around the table were a few people, but most of the chairs were empty. Royce bowed respectfully and Chester hurried to follow.

"Hello, my King," he greeted smoothly, much more calmly than Chester thought he could manage.

"My King," Chester greeted in turn.

"Come, have a seat. We have much to discuss."

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
— Stanislaw Jerszy Lec