Young Writers Society

The Forest Labyrinth (Started/ Closed)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:31 pm
View Likes
DarknecrosisX says...

Corvusia Cornixa

The hooded assassin had been somewhat dismayed that the fog had not thinned since she rested, in fact quite the opposite- it had intensified. Sighing deeply and drawing her bow, Corvusia began to wander through the obscurely low-hanging cloud, and cast Bane to locate something to hunt. The vitality of reserving energy and fluids meant that running was not an option, so instead the pace was set to a steady but quick walk. Every few seconds Corvusia called to the crow, and he would croak back deeply, a sign that he had sighted nothing, but was still in the vicinity.

After a few minutes (though it could easily have been an hour, for all Corvusia knew) Bane let out a shrill squeal, marking that he had located prey. Now a sprint was in order, and as she ran Cornixa drew her bow and loaded an arrow, ready to fire. Bane now hung low, only a metre in front of his mistress, directing her shot. The arrow flew straight and true, and sure enough a sudden thud was the last sound the wild boar would ever make. Corvusia smirked as her eyes met the kill, and Bane had already started to peck around the wound to make the arrow easier to retrieve- he always was a smart one.

Well aware that dragging the corpse too far would be an exhausting feat, it was instead hauled towards the forest path which, at the junction the assassin had discovered, split off in all eight polar directions, like a compass. Vexed at the unnaturalness of the scene, Corvusia set up her tent at the centre, and set about starting a fire to roast her catch. Bane swooped around, checking the area for any threats as the boar crackled steadily over the steady flame. Usually the campfire would be outside the tent, but that would have been in vain- the fog would make it impossible to sustain, and it would attract whatever predators there were in this bleak, horrid place.

The process took a few hours, but Corvusia was patient enough to wait, Bane's company was enough to keep her comforted, and she spent much of the time stroking him as he perched upon her knee. Suddenly he cocked his head, flew out of the tent, and surveyed the area again. As he glided onto his mistress' shoulder, he cawed- someone was here. The hood once again covered the woman's short platinum hair as she stepped outside into the fog. Bane nodded to her left, and stared intently.

"Show yourself, before I shoot." Corvusia spoke sternly, drawing her bow once again.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

Kel-Alone 

He slipped away sometime after that shrilled whisper. This female was annoying him already. He had always hated unwanted baggage since it just dragged him down. Not to mention another one again, and one who screeches like a parrot too. Human beings are far too troublesome, instead he and Night had vanished as silent as the night. Fireflies weaves in and out of the spiny forests he was now in, he had been traveling southwest for about ten minutes. And for the whole ten minutes, he could feel the shadow of a presence ghosting behind, around. Enveloping the pair in a tight cocoon of prey in a hawk's eye. 

He glanced towards Night, the fur on his hackles were raised and his eyes a fearsome ochre as he prowled in front of him with deadly steps. His lithe movements only made Kel more aware of clumsiness admist this hostile forest, wind not cool nor warm hissed through the gaps between the thorny trees making them bend and sway. A grotesque dance of skeletal blades, he deflected one that swayed too close for comfort and stalked on. 

Eyes were watching him, not one but two. Not two but four. Eyes. 

The pair walked on as if they were completely oblivious to whatever danger lies, though this facade was lost to their tense movement. 

'Crack!' The lonesome sound resonated throughout the forest eerily, abruptly the pair stopped and slowly retreated so each had the other's back. But their eyes were focused on the cacophony of noise that whomever had been tracking them now didn't bother with silence. 

They were coming. 
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:28 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

"Fried mushrooms are delicious!" decided Ethelred, as he finished off his last mushroom. The flavour was deliciously nutty, and the texture soft and crisp. These mushrooms in particular has also a delicious almond taste to them...
Ethelred decided it was getting late. The sky was darkening and the fog was thickening. Ethelred had always liked the fog, as it made for intriguing painting. It was rather beautiful ina way. It was surprising to think that all the locals at the nearby village had warned him against this forest.
Ethelred got his blanket from his mule, and removed the beast's saddlepack. He was going to lie down, when he stopped for a moment. Surely there will be creatures of the night aboard. It would be much safer to sleep in a tree. It wasn't as if he would be attacked by squirrels or anything.
Ethelred chuckled to himsef and ascended a large tree. He didn't know what type, botany was never his strong point. It was almost as if the tree had been made to climb though; If he didn't know better Ethelred would have thought it was obligingly moving its limbs for him.
Ethelred chose a nice thick branch and strapped his leg to it. He was sure the mushrooms would give him pleasant dreams, and some he could see some cute little squirrels playing in the tree above. He was sure he had made a good decision.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Messenger says...

The forest rejoiced with delight at taste of success. Swaying with joy the forest allowed more to enter, even openly inviting two to come in. One had decided to sleep in the very belly of the monster. The old woman had been no task to kill. However, the assassin with the bow and the soldier with the weapons might be. The forest rolled in mist, thunder and rain. It decided to test out the two warriors.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:53 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

Lance

The sky turned dark quickly as the raindrops began to fall. Lance spurred Faith, into a gallop. He bounced up and down, used to the rhythm of his steed, thankful for her companionship. Lance groaned as the rain splattered on his armor and slid down, grasping for a hold but finding none.

The forest lammed ahead now, dark and foreboding, like a giant out of the night, coming to devour its minuscule prey. Lance grasped the hilt of his sword reassuringly, and felt confidence. This forest seemed to be . . . different. But with his steed and sword he felt he could overcome obstacles.

The darkness enveloped him and he pulled his blue caped and cowl over his head. Then he spotted the glowing eyes. He stopped short and Faith whinnied, and pranced back and forth, obviously aware of the danger. Lance drew his blade and advanced slowly. He got ten feet from the eyes before he realized they belonged to wolves. Black and grey wolves, teeth barred, saliva dripping from their sharp fangs, hungry for prey.

He pressed Faithful forward, and felt the power beneath him as the wind and rain rushed into his face. The first wolf leapt from his left and he easily cut it down, the blade slicing it's side. The second wolf jumped to nearly his waist height and he had to bring his sword across saddle to swing. The blade cleaved into the wolf's fur and stained crimson before being cleaned by the heavy rain.

Faithful pressed by the wolves, but Lance knew they would follow. One of them was fast enough to get ahead of the white horse. It leapt for Faith's throat, but Lance pulled her away and the wolf's teeth snapped shut in the open air. Lance reached the forest edge and hurriedly dismounted, then pressed his hand against Faith's nose, the signal for her to stay, then he turned to face the charging wolves.

A loud growl caused him to spin. He just saw the flash of grey fur before the animal collided with his chest, knocking him to the ground. His hand slammed onto the hard dirt, causing him to lose his sword and it skidded to far for him to reach. The wolf on top of him bit at his throat. He swung his gauntlet across, catching the wolf in the jaws. It let out a yelp and stumbled, but stayed on him. Another wolf jumped and bit onto his right hand. He tried to wrest it away but could not.

Heart pounding, desperate to get up, he yanked hard, hand slipping out of his right gauntlet and therefore freeing it. He grabbed the wolf on top of him and heaved up with both hands. The wolf growled but was overwhelmed and flew back several feet. Lance rolled to his left and clasped his sword. Then he jumped to his feet and swung as hard as he could in a half circle. A flash of lightning occurred simultaneously and he temporarily watch in bright light as three wolves were slashed across the face, blood splattering out profusely.

Lance wiped rain from his face and tried to count the remaining number of wolves. There was the one behind him, which went after Faith, and two more, attacking just as viciously. Knowing that his horse was necessary for survival, Lance rushed at the grey wolf. It turned to face him.

"Faith, kick!" Lance yelled.

Faith, who had turned away from the wolf, struck out with her hind legs. They took the wolf in the side, sending it airborne for a few seconds before it smashed into the ground like a rag doll. It limped away, howling in pain. But Lance had no time to relax. The last two wolves were as determined as ever and came attacking. The first leaped into the air at Lance. just as he brought his sword up the second went for his legs. Lance swung straight ahead, running the jumping wolf through the face.

The second however found a weak spot in his armor, just below the knee. Lance grunted in pain as the wolf's teeth sunk into his skin and flesh. He kicked with his second leg, knocking the beast off. Then he plunged his sword through it's back. The blood began to trickle down his leg as the battle concluded.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:28 pm
View Likes
Seraphinaxx says...

I stopped walking a while down the path and changed into my armour. Leather, for better agility. Plate is for soldiers; leather is for assassins. I re fasten my cloak around my shoulders, but leave the rest of my other clothes behind. They'll just weigh me down.

As I continue walking I wonder what the forest has planned for me and anyone else foolish enough to enter. Almost as if reading my mind I hear something coming up the path in either direction. Something tells me it would be a bad idea to wait and fight. I force myself through the trees at the side of the path and run.

I leap over an outstretched root, that wasn't there before and keep running. I keep my body low and stay in the shadows. I can hear it getting closer, trying to evade it isn't working. I give up on hiding and go into a full out sprint. I fall over the edge of a hill, forcing my body into a roll.

At the bottom I leap to my feet and keep running, before realising there's nothing behind me anymore. I stop, looking around cautiously. The forest is calm and still, if foggy. I brush the dirt of my clothes and start walking, pulling leaves out my hair. I hear faint shreds of music and give up on my hair, walking more cautiously. It has me where it wants me.

I hear a voice, "Show yourself, before I shoot." I walk out the trees, hand on my sword hilt, but leaving my weapons sheathed. Fortunately I see a person, not a monster. A crow circles overhead. Then I realise that the forest forced me here for a reason and study her closely. She's taller than me and probably stronger, although I'm almost certainly quicker. She knows how to use that bow as well. Then I realise what it is about her. An assassin can always spot another assassin, and she is. Probably one of the kill first, ask questions later, types. Well I'd better speak first then.

"My name is Liana and might I say it's an honour to meet you." I say, realising exactly which assassin she is. "But if you want a good reason to not kill me here it is; the forest is trying to kill us."
Review for a review :)

Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it and it will never be used to hurt you. Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:01 am
View Likes
DarknecrosisX says...

Corvusia Cornixa

The figure Bane had spotted was a girl, clad in leathers, almost exactly like Corvusia's; black and smooth, but without the personalised grey lining. Both characters examined each other, and both realised they were speaking to kin, that they were both assassins.

"My name is Liana and might I say it's an honour to meet you," she spoke. "But if you want a good reason to not kill me here it is; the forest is trying to kill us."

It wasn't often Corvusia spoke, assassins always made sure their words were few and meaningful. "Liana. Maymont, I presume. Young talent, only working for 2 years, but lethally proficient."

The other assassin nodded.

Corvusia did not lower her bow, only tightened it further. "Then you should know that the nonsense that you hear from locals should not be adhered to- especially not concerning a 'living forest'. If someone sent you to kill me, then I demand you tell me who, and I may spare you."

To Cornixa, Liana looked confused, and somewhat alarmed. Bane hopped on his mistress' arm, and she turned and eyed him with interest. As she turned back to her company, they hadn't tried an attack- no dagger thrown, no bow drawn. Corvusia lowered her weapon and softened her gaze slightly. "Bane seems to have a good feeling about you, so you can live. Just don't give me reason to change my mind." She turned back to her tent.

"You need to believe me, the forest is alive."

Corvusia turned. "Even it was, what can some twigs and roots do to me?"
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:11 pm
Apricity says...

Kei

He sucked in a breath concurrently as a low growl arose from Night's throat. He was expecting a monster, something huge perhaps dangerous. However, he was not expecting a talking tree with snarling whiskers and crawling roots. Spikes armed its thick trunk and thick, sinewy ropes of wood twined up its branches as they whipped to and fro. And a shower of destruction followed their movements. Dried leaves littered the ground amongst with insect bodies. The knife in his hand now felt foolishly small compared to the colossal size of the tree, Night’s growl slowly merged into a soft whimpering once again reminding Kel that Night was only short of a pup.

He sighed wearily, unable to comprehend how on earth he now felt responsible and protective towards the beast. Perhaps it was his instinct, after all he had grew up with animals rather than people. At least they made it clear when they wanted to kill you. He deflected an incoming branch clumsily and the force of the impact knocked him off the ground. Rough stones slashed across his cheeks bluntly as he leaned back against another tree and wiped the blood of his cheek, his eyes hardened into steel as he ducked once again and thrusted his knife upwards into the branch. Clinging onto the well worn handle as the tree lifted him up in a wide arc.

‘AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH…” His screams wailed throughout the night as the world spinned into a dark blur.

“Jesus Christ.” He cursed loudly as he felt an unwelcome jolt and stared up at the half amused, half frightened eyes of Night. He glanced back at the advancing tree and scrambled up rapidly, “alright, let’s get out of here before we become a piece of tree food. Now, that’s one epic death.”

Scowling, the pair fled and as they crushed through the thorny bushes. A desolate howl resonated throughout the forest.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:53 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

The squirrels waited a few hours before attacking Ethelred. They were possessed and ultimately controlled by the forest, and the forest had decided to wait and let the mushrooms take effect. Also the forest thought that with drug induced dreams the boundaries betwixt reality and dreaming will have blurred, and so a fight under such conditions may prove humourous.
At about midnight the first squirrel dropped from the high leafy canopy above Ethelred, the same canopy that blocked out any trace of moonlight, excepting a very occasional beam of light. Ethelred awoke with a start and a screech, and started flapping wildly at the squirrel. A few landed on him, and they time he let out a truly tremendous ear piercing scream. He flapped he wrists at them, and stood up trying to shake them off. Alas in mushroom headed state he had completely forgotten and hadn't noticed his position: Half way up a tree. He fell, but luckily, or possibly unluckily for him he had taken the precaution of tying himself to a bough.
And so it happened that Ethelred Quadmere at five past twelve in the night was hanging upside down from a branch, being scratched by squirrels and hallucinating he was being eaten by llamas.
And there he would have stayed, and probably been scratched to death, if it had not been for the girl. A young girl of approximately 19 or 20 entered the clearing, presumably beckoned by the screams, and looked at the humourous sight for a moment. Then she unsheathed a knife from her belt and cut the bedrugged bard down. The squirrels fled, leaving the girl giggling at the sight of the bard. She knew she shouldn't be laughing really, but she couldn't help it.
So se set up camp by the bard. The clearing was a good a place as any, and she guessed the company would be pleasant, if he woke from his evidently bedrugged state. Her assumption couldn't have been more wrong.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:55 pm
NicoleBri says...

Danielle Colter

As I walked through the woods I heard sort of a murmured scream. I seen an opening and ran towards it. There was something hanging from a tree, I couldn't tell if it was a person or not since I was so far away. As I kept walking, it was a human. I ran full force until I got to him and I jumped and cut the rope. He fell on his face and swiftly got up.

I half smiled at how funny it was. I even laughed a little, but it wasn't my fault. We didn't say a word to each other, I just started a fire. It was a little cold up in these woods. Once it was started I sat on a log. "I'm Danielle." I tell him. He waves, making everything awkward. "Ethelred." He replied. I nod. It was still a little awkward. "Why are you in these woods?" He asked.

"I sort of ran away, and now I am lost." I reply. Before he could say anything I ask, "do you realize these trees have a heartbeat?" He looked at me like I was stupid and I just stare, "what?" He finally says.

"Go put your ear to one of the trees and listen." I tell him. He reluctantly did so. "Oh my god!" He says and backs away. "I've been noticing a lot of weird stuff going on." I say.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:04 am
View Likes
Craz says...

Niobe Matthias

Sweat, loose hair and dirt found itself lodged between her clenched fingers, in the corners of her mouth, in the flaps and folds of her clothes. Crust gathered at the corners of her eyes and her tears have dried, making her cheeks feel sticky and stiff. She didn't know what state her hair was in, but she could feel the gentle prodding of a stick lodged inside it somewhere. Underneath her, Ben was sweating profusely, and his breath seemed to be thundering in her ears.

She didn't know how long it had been. Much longer than it felt, as the very little light that remained appeared to be trapped inside of the fog, which hovered above the ground, clinging to the scattered branches and low hanging plants. Below her, Ben stumbled, and she felt it as his skin twitched in exhaustion.

I'm running him into the ground, she thought, halting him with a pull of his reigns. She slid off of his back, then lost her footing and then righted herself. Ben turned his large head slowly to bump into her side as she stepped forward to take his reigns, walking him determinedly forward. Something inside of her had come to terms that she will never get out of these damned woods. But whatever it was, it was small and shriveled, and the rest of her kept chanting Just a little further, just a little bit further and the trees will break and relatively drowned out that small part of her.

Sleep pulled at her limbs and tugged at her eyelids, and she blinked and swore she saw a light ahead. She blinked again, and then leaned backwards, past a tree that was blocking her view. There, a faint light flickered. A breathy laugh escaped her lips. She pulled Ben's reigns behind her and cut through the foliage that pressed tightly against the path she was on.

As she neared, she realized that the light was dancing, like a small fire. She sped up and called out, "Hello? Hello, is anyone there? I mean no harm!"

Ben snorted behind her. She called out again, and it first occurred to her that whoever was there might not be as nice as she'd want. But it was too late, as she was already standing in the clearing, Ben's head jutting out of a bush over her shoulder.

There were two of them, huddling over the fire and staring at her. One was scrawny, with oily blonde hair that fell around his pinched face like fraying thread and his clothing hanging rather awkwardly on his bony shoulders, the other a girl dressed in regular clothing with short blonde hair and round cheeks. Niobe looked from one to the other, and then said, "I apologize to disturb you both. I seem to have gotten lost in the woods sometime back."

Niobe glanced down and then nudged Ben out of the bush and into the open. "I, I have food." Niobe said. "May I stay here until morning?"
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:40 pm
View Likes
ladcat13 says...

Nighttime was nearing; it was almost the witching hour. The forest decided to go less for physical terror now and more for mental fear. Within its tangled depths it began to re-arrange the paths into its favorite form: the Labyrinth. No exits, only treacherous trails leading to the center. Dead ends, forks, pitfalls, and quicksand awaited on each path.

Let the maze running begin.

Millions of miles from home
In the darkness before the dawn
In the swirling of this storm
When I'm rolling with the thunder
But bleed from thorns
Leave a light, a light on.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:13 pm
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

Paige

She sat on a large rock bandaging her bleeding leg. Misty sat with her nose in the dirt sniffing the soft floor. The trees creaked and the wind blew. Paige felt shivers down her spine and stood brushing off her dusty dress. She had ripped off the bottom half of the skirt and ripped off the hot sleeves. If her father saw her now, she would be kicked from her village.

The tree's around her twisted together pushing her back. Paige screamed her long hair flying in the strong breeze. Soon everything went silent again and her kind dog whimpered.

"It's okay Misty," She mumbled patting the dog's side.

She tumbled forward and into the path. She followed the tall tree' down the narrow hall and soon found her self standing in the middle of two possible turns. She sighed and climbed up an oak for a view.

When she reached halfway, the tree shook vigorously sending the fragile girl down. She landed with a loud thump and tears in her hazel eyes. Paige sighed the salty water touching her lashes but never quiet making it onto her cheeks. The forest seemed to laugh at her as she entered the left way with anger in her blood.

This forest was going to kill her.
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:10 pm
View Likes
Seraphinaxx says...

I watch as she turns away. "But what if they're not just twigs and roots?" I blurt out, then regret it at she turns to look at me. She gives me a weird look then shakes her head, "That's all it is." I give an impatient sigh and turn to leave. She keeps her back turned as I go.

Despite the fact this forest is out to kill me, I'm happier on my own, with my thoughts for company. I slip into the shadows, hand on my sword hilt, on full alert. Maybe I can reach the heart of this place. Something screams out inside my mind that I should stop and I do instantly. I bend to pick up a stick and poke it at the ground in front of me. Quicksand. I climb one of the trees and swing along, using the branches for a while. The forest tries to dump me off, but I hold on. I drop down at the other side and keep walking.

I've been walking for a while longer before I realise this is a labyrinth. And I've read the mythology; there's always a Minotaur at the end. Well possibly not here, but still, forget conventional. What you don't want to go around, you go over. I crawl along the tightly pressed branches, moving from tree to tree. Then a branch snaps and I'm dumped to the ground.

I pick myself up and hear a low growl from behind me. I turn, drawing my sword, to see a boy with a wolf. I sheath my sword in relief, although I keep my face emotionless. "You know, when people warn about a deadly forest, you'd think more people would have the sense to stay away."
Review for a review :)

Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it and it will never be used to hurt you. Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

663 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:24 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

Lance

Lance finished tying the bandage around his leg and gingerly stood up, replacing his aid pack into his saddlebag. Faith was still snorting and neighing occasionally, obviously unnerved by the wolves lying around.

"Easy girl, it's alright," Lance whipsered, stroking her mane. He tried to pull himself up into the saddle but he had lost a lot of feeling in his leg. He had to get up or he'd be forced to walk, which he didn't want to do.

The rain let up and he sighed contentedly. At least we don't have to deal with that anymore.
With hard effort he pulled himself up, letting out a groan of pain as his wounded leg screamed to not moved up. He turned Faith and headed for the forest. At least he could find shelter in there from the rain. He gently kicked Faith's side and the began trotting towards the dark mass of forest. Lance's leg protested with every bounce and he realized that he had to set up camp and sleep soon to rest up.

He neared the forest entrance when a crazy yell rent the silence. Faith stopped and Lance drew is sword. He heard a howl from a wolf and growled. All over a gain! He apporached cautiously, looking to either side for a potential threat.

Then he heard talking. And entered a clearing where a boy, a girl dressed in assassin's clothes, and a wolf all stood. What. On. Earth.

Maybe I should say something quote-worthy, like, I dunno... "You can only be happy if you decide to be happy?"
— Necromancer14