z

Young Writers Society

Story Assignment

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue May 02, 2006 10:23 pm
View Likes
you_really_suck says...

i have to write a story in my creative writing class that has to be like a broken home type deal thing but i have a little problem
i've never been in that situation. my parents are happily married and there is nothing majorly bad happing in my home life.
i have a week to write a 5 or more page story about something i've never had a problem with.
if anyone has that issue or know a lot about what it feels like to live in a broken home i would love some help.
i just can't imagine what it would be like and i wan't my story to be as close to the real thing as possible.
Meat is Murder

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue May 02, 2006 11:15 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Surely you've had your parents argue with you, or you've argued with your parents! Think about how it felt. Did it feel terrible? What were your siblings reaction? Yours?

Now, intensify the feelings. You probably know basic emotions such as fear, loneliness, betrayal, maybe not from home, but from another place. You probably know what it feels like to be belittled, or worse, ignored. Like I said, maybe not from home, but from other places. Analyze your feelings and reactions.

Now, put those feelings from fear and loneliness from the other places and insert them to your home life. Rearrange your characters so they are put under situations of fear, betrayal, and mistrust. Then run loose.

It's kind of hard to get yourself in the other characters' shoes, but once you do, you may be surprised about the results.

Good luck!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown