z

Young Writers Society

Help on humor piece!

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:58 pm
View Likes
Kay Kay says...

Okay here's the deal, I have to present something funny to my creative writing class. I need a bio of the person who wrote it too. If you have anything funny that you wouldn't mind sharing let me know. Please and thanks.
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:31 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Don't you have anything funny that happened to you...? :?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:12 pm
View Likes
Duskglimmer says...

I'm a little confused...

Are you looking for something funny to write about or something funny that has already been written?
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

221 Reviews

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:06 pm
Kay Kay says...

Something that's already been written...
--La Rochedoucauld

---Socraties

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:10 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

Have you tried Jeeves by PG Whodehouse? (Pardon me if I've mangled his last name...) Dougles Adams and the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy are also brilliant for the humour.

Ah, that's it off the top of my head. It is a book you're looking for, isn't it? Or can it also be magazine article, short story...?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

221 Reviews

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:52 pm
View Likes
Kay Kay says...

It can be anything from something written to a movie just something really funny.
--La Rochedoucauld

---Socraties

459 Reviews

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:56 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

All right then - definitely try Douglas Adams. And if that's not exactly what you're looking for, you might also look at Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - hilarious and rather bizarre; it's a play by Tom Stoppard, and a screenplay. But an excerpt would probably fit what you need. Easily found in the library, I'm sure.

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:05 pm
View Likes
Neost says...

Hello there,

Um I would suggest Douglas Adams. I would not totally suggest R&G are Dead. Good play. Bizarre yes, but one must remember who this piece is appealing to. Many people do not understand or even care for the play (sadly) Either way I agree with Douglas Adams.

Thats..just my two cents..

Check out Scripts Section :)

Neost.

459 Reviews

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:15 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

Neost wrote:Hello there,

Um I would suggest Douglas Adams. I would not totally suggest R&G are Dead. Good play. Bizarre yes, but one must remember who this piece is appealing to. Many people do not understand or even care for the play (sadly) Either way I agree with Douglas Adams.

Thats..just my two cents..

Check out Scripts Section :)

Neost.

Yes - concerning Rosencrantz and Guildenstern...Neost has a point. The humour is rather dark, often abstract - and definitely complex. It's likely to go over most people's head.
Last edited by Poor Imp on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Lloyd Alexander

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:16 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Have you read any Diane Duane or Orson Scott Card? Sections of their novels are really funny..

Douglas Adams is good, but the humour doesn't appeal to everyone, only problem I can see, there.

An Actor's Nightmare is really funny.. Think I have the name right. One act play (yes, one act, right? Anyone know for sure?), that was.. it was a bit theatre-geek-ish, but still funny.

I'll think of more, if you need something different, mkay?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:00 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman. Omg, that is one of the funniest books ever.

Or, really anything by him. It's great stuff.

If you're looking for more serious stuff, Arms and the Man is also very fun. It's by George Benard Shaw. It's short, but incredibly witty nonetheless.

Another thing, if your school isn't a religious one, is Mark Twain's Letters from the Earth. I say no religious schools because the whole thing is a mockery of the Christian religion, but it's so funny that I can forgive it quickly. It's just funny. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

221 Reviews

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm
View Likes
Kay Kay says...

Thanks guys. I'll look into the books and plays and see if anything sparks my attention. if you think of anything else please let me know.
--La Rochedoucauld

---Socraties

I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman