z

Young Writers Society

Inverse Trig Functions

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Mon May 30, 2011 7:21 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

So I'm trying to work on these inverse trig problems, and the range/domain of the graphs is giving me a lot of trouble. For example, one of my problems is this:

4 cos^2*x - 1 = 0

and I've gotten it to

x = cos^(-1)(1/2)

and I've even graphed it on the unit circle and found that, based on the fact that cosine's range is from zero to pi, the two solutions should be: 1. 2pi/3 + n*pi, where n is an integer, and 2. pi/3 -- but here's my problem. The answer in the back of the book says it should simply be added to n*pi, but wouldn't it be 2n*pi? Because if you take a pi rotation on the unit circle from pi/3, it brings you to the cosine value of negative 1/2, and I'm looking for the positive values.

I really hope this all makes sense; let me know if you need more clarification. Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: Never mind. Went to the tutor center and got the answer (for those of you who are wondering, I forgot to put the positive/negative 1/2, so I needed to find both instances of that).
Last edited by Ranger Hawk on Tue May 31, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon May 30, 2011 7:30 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Kill it with fire.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill