z

Young Writers Society

Rhetoric Mid-Term assignment

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:09 pm
View Likes
Areida says...

This is probably the vaguest, most broad assignment I've ever received, and it's for a midterm. Juuuust peachy.

The topic for the essay/speech must be something school subject related (Omnibus, Rhetoric, Latin, Math, Science, etc.). The essay should be persuasive in emphasis, but should also inform the audience about the relevant matters of the topic.

Okay, so I've decided I want to do something with Omnibus, and at first I was thinking a comparison of Rome and America, showing how America is heading down a bad path, but that's waaaay too broad. So then I was thinking of just talking about Rome but changed my mind. Now I'm considering talking about the ideas and people which have influenced America, primarily in media and entertainment. Or maybe I'll just talk about how America's entertainment has changed morally in the last century or so.

The topic has to be selected, approved, and in thesis form by Friday. I really, really need help... I worked on this for an hour and a half last night and I'm still stuck. :(
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:28 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

I'll say one thing - make sure you make the topic narrow and in a timeframe (if to do with history/politics). Otherwise your argument will be all over the place. It's easier to focus when you know the exacts of what you are talking about.

Personally I'd go for the Omnibus one and talk about something historical or whatnot cos I think essays are easier like that.

Pick something you'd enjoy doing otherwise you'll hate doing it even more.

So I've been no help but I thought I'd answer anyway :wink:
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:35 pm
View Likes
-KayJuran- says...

is it a bad thing if i don't know what omnibus is?...

798 Reviews

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:02 pm
View Likes
Areida says...

No. It's part of a classical curriculum-- a two hour, five day a week, reading-intensive combination of literature, history and theology.

BTW, I picked my topic. Here be my thesis statement:

In many movies and television shows, Enlightenment thought and the ideas of the French Revolution are apparent. Their influence has promoted humanism and blatant rebellion in "family" shows--a glamorizing that leads many to believe what they see on television is appropriate behavior.
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:40 pm
View Likes
Skye says...

Sweet topic!

I just did a report on the Enlightenment's effects on the French Revolution. :shock: (Not the same thing you are doing at all, I know, but I felt I should throw in that little fun fact for everyone's benefit. :roll: I'll shut up now...)
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

798 Reviews

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:37 pm
Areida says...

Ooh, cool Skye... we talked about that some in Omnibus, and I considered it for my topic, but ended up changing my mind. But it is really cool to see what an effect ideas like humanism and Antonimian Individualism had on the Fr. Revolution. I am such a geek at times. :roll:
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:11 pm
View Likes
Skye says...

If you're a geek, then I am as well! ^.^

HOORAH FOR GEEKISM!!!!!!
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy