z

Young Writers Society

URGENT! URGENT!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:11 am
View Likes
Jiggity says...

Okay, I have received an HSC assessment Task for Yr 12 Advance English, worth 20 bloody percent...and i only have a week left to do it. It's a research essay on Emma Goldman and her adress to the jury in 1917. My task outline: " carefully research the historical and social context of the speech. This should include a summary of the speech, an analysis of the main rhetorical devices used and information about how well the speech was received and viewed at the time. You should also evaluate the worth, relevance and value of the speech in our contemporary society. This should include both your own and others critical analysis and opinions of the text. 1000 word limit."
So, any help or intelligent input would really be appreciated. Especially if you've written an essay or piece of writing on emma Goldman coz i could use your opinions in the essay.

HELP. HURRY. SUICIDE IMMINENT. lol
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:54 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

First of all, what speech?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

798 Reviews

Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:24 am
View Likes
Jiggity says...

"The political criminal of today must needs be the martyr,hero, saint of the new age"
that's the title i was given- it was her Adress to the Jury speech given in 1917...hope that helps.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863

798 Reviews

Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:29 am
View Likes
Jiggity says...

What i need is an analysis of that speech, not the speech itself. I already have a copy of the speech. Other peoples critical opinions need to be referred to in my essay...so that's what i really need.

thanks for bothering though, 'twas nice of you.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:33 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Now wait a second. I will help you find stuff, but I won't think for you. That is not helping you with homework, it is helping you cheat yourself.

Your question isn't on the speech itself, but how to analyze it. I can help you with that.

First, Get a historical background. What were things like back then? You don't have to spend a day of research on it, just get a sense of what was going on back then. Writing an essay without some historical background is like trying to drive without an engine. Once you have that, you can start on the speech itself.

Now the speech has many parts, that you need to analyze. Depending on what the assignment says, you can analyze it for the teacher. Let's decode the assignment.

This should include a summary of the speech

What is she saying? Explain it in your own words.

an analysis of the main rhetorical devices used

How did the speaker utilize overelaborate or bombastic rhetoric?

information about how well the speech was received and viewed at the time.

This is where the historical background will help you.

You should also evaluate the worth, relevance and value of the speech in our contemporary society.

Has this speech had any effect which can be seen today? Or did it have no effect?

This should include both your own and others critical analysis and opinions of the text. 1000 word limit.

What did you think of the speech? Was there anything that the speaker didn't take into account, were they wrong about what they said? What do you think? What do others think?

This is a lot of stuff, about four or five pages.

I'll find some other analysis of the speech.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:48 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

I didn't find any analysis's for or against the speech.

I do suggest you mention the obvious bias that is attached to this lady. I encountered a marxist organization and a berkeley organization that were making her out to be some saint, which immediately put up the red flags for me.

Your best bet is to analyze the speech yourself.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

798 Reviews

Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:09 am
View Likes
Jiggity says...

I think you misunderstood me. I dont want you to think for me, i was hoping you could find some one else's analysis so i could refer to their opinions of Emma's speech and how that is similar/different to my own. You see one of the things we get marked on is Perspectives i.e what other people thought of the speech. It could be an essay or a newspaper/magazine article

If you don't know it's impossible it's easier to do. And because nobody's done it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that again, yet.
— Neil Gaiman