z

Young Writers Society

'Superhero' Assignment

Reviews: 4
Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:43 am
View Likes
Sixteen Candles says...

I know, I know, it sounds like a primary school assignment from the title xD But what I have to actually do, for my English teacher, is write a letter and do a presentation on a superhero I've created (with powers, weaknesses, backstory and a villain) that addresses a teenage issue - I've chosen depression. So, basically, my superhero has to 'fight' depression, and at the same time it has to appeal to teenagers in some way other than the fact that it counters depression.

So, my question is this: In what way does this hero counter depression, and how can I make it appeal to teenagers? Hopefully you guys have some good ideas, because I'm a bit stuck :) I should also mention that it doesn't have to be human, so we can pretty much go crazy. I don't actually need a villain, background story or anything - I'll make that up later to fit in with the rest (though, knowing me, the hero will have a long, complicated backstory that will end up being ten pages long, haha).

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:12 pm
View Likes
Exialac says...

Simple. Your character could be boring and impassive. Any kind of emotional contact with said character would make anyone feel better off. So you fight depression through sympathy not evoked by self but through others.

You're an animate drug called Prozac. Google it.

You're an undercover poet that writes inspirational proses and anyone that reads it will suddenly feel better and motivated to make their lives better.

You're a phychiatrist named Dr. Skinner.

Other tips: Read or watch Prozac Nation. You might get a few ideas about depression
Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson. You find the present tense and the past perfect.

That, sir, is the most frightening battlefield in the world: the blank page.
— Larry McMurtry, Comanche Moon