z

Young Writers Society

English Essay-Jane Eyre

Reviews: 4
Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:57 pm
View Likes
random.thoughts says...

Hello! I know, I'm a "writer" but I really can't write this essay very well. I was wondering if someone would mind helping me find some quotes, or pointing out which part of the semi-complete essay was confusing. I'm in high school as well, so I guess our standards are lower then a college level essay. But yes, any help would be simply lovely!

-------

Her touch, her mind, her ability to serve their wants and needs. She does everything they could hope for and exceeds it and they want her for it. A battle with two opposing forces. Neither one disclosing their strength or agility. This is exemplified to the greatest extent by the men in which Jane collides with -St. John Rivers and Edward Fairfax Rochester-. St. John Rivers and Edward Fairfax Rochester crave Jane Eyre. However, by probing and investigation their ambitions, values, and even Bronte’s portrayal of their physical visage, it is undoubtedly clear that Rochester needs Jane Eyre more.

St. John and Rochester’s ambitions determine the path they will follow in life to better achieve these goals. The burning desire to have and later complete these goals is exemplified in both of them. St. John reveals this idea when saying, “if you are not ambitious, you are …impassioned” Meaning that if someone does not have a goal to achieve, you have nothing worth living for. Earlier he states that “I know I am [ambitious]“ after Jane had stated “I am not ambitious”. St. John confirms his aspiration in a conversation with Jane Eyre about him possibly not being a missionary and marrying Rosamond instead. He states that “my hopes of being numbered in the band who have merged all ambitions in the glorious one of bettering their race…the hope of heaven for the fear of hell?“ (what does this mean?) St. John’s overall motivation is to serve god to the utmost extent he can. “I advocate them [Jesus]! I am sworn to spread them,” An example of his fierce devotion is his determination to visit the sick even in foul weather. Sadly though, it is not the actual sick he cares for, but rather his promise and devotion to God. (add more-quote) He wants Jane Eyre to help him and be a dutiful wife. To follow and obey him to India, living his passion and dream. (add more) He wants Jane to do this, but he does not need her. Any other woman with the same quality of obeying him would suit his needs, anything else about Jane in particular becoming obsolete. (add more)

Rochester on the other hand, truly needs Jane, overpowering the simple want for her. His desire to find love and a wife being high on his list, with Jane coming and satisfying this. He truly wants to “seek sympathy with something…” after the cheated affair he was placed into in his youth when marrying Bertha Mason. At one point in the conversation he even states “you shall yet be my wife: I am not married.” Showing his eternal state of looking for true intimacy. Bertha Mason is not his wife in all the ways a wife should be. He treats her conditionally, but does not love her. His goal to have domestic happiness with an equal is not met. In seeking peace, he needs the innocent nature that Jane Eyre can give him. Jane Eyre, without the secrets and lies that burden his own heart. Jane Eyre (add more)

As in any type of craving, even a simple one, there are certain values that need to be achieved. A quality per se. For Rochester, he values intellect, repartea. (add quotes about that) As well as innocence and purity. (add quotes about that) Jane Eyre characterizes and illustrates this to a high degree. (add more)

St. John, on the other hand, values a different set of measures. Practical knowledge, good deeds, and sacrifice are high on his list. St. John says (insert quote)

Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief