z

Young Writers Society

Essay: Etiquette for a Wired World

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:45 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

I wrote an expository essay for my communications class on an essay we read called, "Etiquette for a Wired World." It discusses the issue of technology and how it has changed human interaction. My job is to write an essay that explains some ways people could change their behaviour in order to improve the ways they interact with each other through technology. I've done what I can on my own in terms of proofreading, I just need a second opinion in case there is anything I forgot.

Technology is a constantly evolving entity in our world. Our advances in recent years have been ground breaking. We now have the ability to communicate with people on the other side of the planet. However, these advances have also changed the way we interact with each other. There is very little etiquette in concern with emailing and phoning someone. If we are to remain courteous to the people we react with, we must find ways to improve our politeness online, or on the phone.

The call-waiting feature is one of the things that has lowered out standards of etiquette. It turns phone calls into “popularity contests”. A phone call should only take five minutes, but with this feature it can turn into half an hour. Not only is this extremely rude, it’s also disruptive, as it wastes the caller’s time. Simply leaving a message when the recipient’s phone line is busy would be a better option. However, people tend to take a long time to get to the point. Messages tend to be long, and sometimes pointless, making this method just as bad as call-waiting. Short and straight to the point messages are always best. If a message is going to be long, regardless of the caller’s efforts of keeping it short, email should be used instead of the phone.

The use of email is popular due to its convenience and speed. However, the “possibility of an instant response” has raised our standards. Treating an email like a traditional letter may be considered rude, as the other person does not receive a response in less than two days. A common reason why replies to messages are often delayed might be the recipient simply does not check his email account everyday. In this case, a better method would be to use text messaging. People tend to check their cell phones for messages more than their emails since it’s more convenient. It takes a few minutes to boot up a computer, while turning on a cell phone only takes a few seconds. For this reason, email addresses should not be given to friends. If text messaging is used, it raises the odds that the other person will reply to it sooner. This helps avoid giving friends the impression that they are being ignored.

Wrong impressions can also be made due to lack of visual and audible expression. Words are often misconstrued when a message lacks facial expressions and vocal tones, the very two things that make communication productive. For this reason, emails are best used to transfer important files and documents between two people. The phone was invented to allow people to contact each other over large distances, which is why conversations are best done through one, instead of using email.

The main reason why etiquette has suffered from these new means of communication is because we have not created decent codes of conduct to go with them. Without proper etiquette, we have become less courteous to, and more isolated from, each other. Even knowing this, people continue to use these devices improperly. The reason? These devices appeal to our sense of mystery and optimism. We never know who is on the other line when the phone rings.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:34 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

Is no one going to help me proof read my essay?
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:15 pm
Stori says...

"popularity contests". Usually, the end punctuation goes inside the quotes. "Like this."

people we react with- I think you meant to say "interact with." That's all I found. Cheers!

Life is like an onion. You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.
— Carl Sandburg