z

Young Writers Society

My teacher and I disagree about this MLA format thing

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:48 pm
Summerless says...

In my English class we're learning how to cite quotes from Lord of the Flies. My teacher said I needed to redo the assignment because I put two extra commas in two different sentences. I don't think she is right...

I wrote

For example, when Eric and Sam were telling Jack and the others about the beast, Jack immediately says, "This'll be a real hunt! Who'll come?" (100).

I also wrote

In addition, when Ralph and the littluns were searching for the beast, Jack said, elatedly, about the rocks near the cliff, "Shove a palm trunk under that and if an enemy came--look!" (106).

The commas in red are what my teacher said should be omitted. Are they supposed to be omitted or not?
Last edited by Summerless on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:10 pm
Kaylyn says...

I think they are supposed to be omitted. Ewww... I hate Lord of the Flies. Such a gruesome book.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:07 pm
View Likes
JosephDean says...

The commas in red should be there. *nods* The "when....." part is a dependent clause and omitting the comma will create a run-on sentence. :)

Tell your teacher to put that in her textbook and proofread it. /lame Language Arts joke

haha

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:23 pm
Summerless says...

To Kaylyn:
Hahaha, yeah, I agree.
Such corrupt little boys. :'(

To JosephDean:
That's what I thought too.
I told her it was a dependent clause and told her that, but she told me I was wrong.

And hahaha. (I love lame jokes) ;D

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:21 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Your teacher really should be teaching history or science or something. She's probably better at that.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:10 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Your teacher is right. However, far better would be to rewrite the sentences since both are awkwardly constructed.

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; but the valiant will never taste of death but once."
— Julius Caesar