z

Young Writers Society

Lord of the Flies

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:53 pm
View Likes
happy-go-lucky says...

Over the summer, we've been told to read Lord of the Flies for English. There's only a week and a bit left before we go back to school and I'm only 20 pages in. It's not that the books boring, it's just that I have several problems:

1. Nothing really happens in the book (so I'm told) until about chapter 6/7 onwards, so how do I get through the first couple of chapters without losing interest?
2. If I'm told I have to read something, then I find it more of a homework than a relaxation (as I find reading usually) and will just put it off - how can I actually get on and read it???
3. I just want to write or do something else every time I pick it up. How can I keep my concentration on the book?

Help!
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 am
Black Ghost says...

Um...Just read it?

Sorry If I sound dumb, but you really just have to suck it up and read the thing. Nothing you do will make you want to read it more, so its really pointless to ask this kind of question. :?

And besides, Lord of the Flies is a great read. I never found it boring at all. ^_^

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:57 am
Clo says...

What do you mean nothing happens, you're 20 pages in!

The Lord of the Flies is a disturbing tale about natural human savagery and the animalistic twists of the human mind.

It's brilliant! I adored it. I loved Simon. Brilliant microcosm too.

Just read it. It's short, and very good.
How am I not myself?

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:11 am
View Likes
jasmine12 says...

I had to read Lord of the Flies for school this past year and i too found it ridiculously boring. The only thinkg i can suggest is try reading it out loud. Or just suck it up and get it over with. I wouldnt suggest getting the movie, they arent alike at all. And i think your teacher will be able to tell.
"Sometimes the worst bad guy makes the best good guy." Nigel--Untouched

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:15 am
Via says...

In all honesty, even though this sounds like cheating, I'd read the tidbits about allusions and such from SparkNotes first. LotF is a lot cooler when you know what stands for what and can see it in the writing. It will help you be interested in it.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

62 Reviews

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:17 am
View Likes
happy-go-lucky says...

Thanks for everyone's comments! It's not really that I find the story boring, just the fact that I HAVE to read it makes it seem dull :D
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:14 am
View Likes
Krupp says...

yeah...unfortunate as it is, just read it. And don't read it as if you're bored; if you do that you won't be able to retain anything or take anything from the story at all. Analyze it as you go along, and really put yourself in the characters' place. That should make it easier to read.

Trust me; I've read books that aren't exactly fun or entertaining to read. Try reading Paradise Lost if you really want a headache...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:25 am
andimlovegalore says...

If you look up some of the symolism and stuff in the book first it might be more interesting to you that reading the story which might seem like nothing.

A million things happen in the book though! It's much more complicated and interesting than it seems.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:11 pm
Clo says...

Trust me; I've read books that aren't exactly fun or entertaining to read. Try reading Paradise Lost if you really want a headache...

!

I am so hurt. Paradise Lost is brilliant! Epic!

And if you really don't want to read it, just go to sparknotes.com. It's truly wonderful. But reading is better.
How am I not myself?

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:17 am
chocoholic says...

I don't blame you for not wanting to read it. I read it for the hell of it and it was a couple of days completely wasted. It's a terrible book (in my opinion, I waned to kill myself while reading), but unless you read the entire plot on wikipedia (which will actually make more sense than the book itself- trust me, I looked it p after finishing) you're just going to have to read it.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:38 am
View Likes
Jiggity says...

It's a brilliant story.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:42 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

clograbby wrote:

!

I am so hurt. Paradise Lost is brilliant! Epic!

And if you really don't want to read it, just go to sparknotes.com. It's truly wonderful. But reading is better.

I concur.

And just suck it up and read it. It's good. And it has pigs. I mean, what more can you ask for? :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

62 Reviews

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:55 pm
View Likes
happy-go-lucky says...

Lol! very true Snoik!
- Oscar Wilde

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:14 am
View Likes
Cade says...

It seems boring because it is boring. I never cared for LOTF.

At least you don't have my summer reading...I'm currently working on Beowulf (which is actually really good) and in the next week I have to find time to read the Bible. Well. Not the whole Bible. Genesis, Exodus, and Luke. But still.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Reviews: 4
Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 am
dreaming_in_poetry says...

I actually loved LOTF. Maybe that's just because I had a good teacher last year, but I still found the story excellent, very rich in symbolism. Some of the characters become lovable (Simon!) and others you can't help but hate (damn Roger!).

I'm afraid to say, regarding your boredom issues, that you are just going to have to grit your teeth and bear it.

Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres