Young Writers Society

Lord of the Flies

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:11 am
View Likes
Krupp says...

clograbby wrote:
Trust me; I've read books that aren't exactly fun or entertaining to read. Try reading Paradise Lost if you really want a headache...

!

I am so hurt. Paradise Lost is brilliant! Epic!

And if you really don't want to read it, just go to sparknotes.com. It's truly wonderful. But reading is better.

Don't get me wrong; I love Paradise Lost. I just get a headache from the format of how the text is laid out...

It's just painful having to read it that way. I've been inspired deeply by the book, and I'm contemplating on writing a novella based on some things about the story...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:46 pm
Tusker93 says...

Lord of the Flies was mint! Even i found it a bit boring at first but it was really cool after a couple chapters, its slow at first and at the end everything happens so fast...

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:16 pm
oneeyedunicornhunter says...

LotF seemed like a short story that was expanded and dragged on to bring it to barely the length of the novel. It wasn't long to begin with, but it still should have been shorter.

About halfway through the novel it gets more interesting, but I agree, the beginning is slow.

If you thought LotF was bad, try reading the Scarlet Letter. :shock:

And over the next two months, I'm going to have to read three Shakespeare plays: Macbeth and Julius Caesar for English, and Hamlet for the Fall Festival play. (I auditioned yesterday...here's hoping I get to be Hamlet! :D)
Am I a one eyed hunter of unicorns or a hunter of one eyed unicorns? The world may never know.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:15 pm
View Likes
Summerless says...

Hahaha---I'm reading it too as a novel study in my English class right now.

I thought that it was kind of drab at first, but it really started to hook me on around chapter three.

Try telling yourself to focus, and that it'll be more fun to read the more you read.

Else than that, I don't know other ways to give you more motivation.
Hope that helps though.

- Summerless

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:27 pm
happy-go-lucky says...

Thanks for everyone's comments!

I did end up reading it all and finished it the night before I went back to school after the summer holidays. :D

BUT, if you wanna here something annoying, we have to read back through it in detail in English.

I could have gotten away without reading it!!!!!!!! :(
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief