z

Young Writers Society

Complicated German Sentence

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:29 pm
Emerson says...

I'm trying to say things more complicated than I know. How on earth would you say, "She forced her to live with the seven dwarfs"? And yes, I'm writing about Schneewittchen.

I have Seine Stiefmutter zwang sie mit den sieben Zwergen wohnen but I have no idea if this is proper grammar.

More than anything I'm getting confused with "her". I'm pretty sure I learned it somewhere, but not very well. I learned personal pronouns, but vaguely, and it was really...weird. Hilf mir, bitte?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:32 pm
Sam says...

Tillychan!

The first needs a female possessive, and you need a dative pronoun. Wie so:

"Ihre Stiefmutter zwangt ihr mit den sieben Zwergen wohnen."

*glee* I so want to read this. XD
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:38 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

@_@ Can you explain the possessives? I found a web site with things but I don't have time to actually read them and I thought Seine was possessive? I think my brain is going to pop.

Or should I just trust the answer you gave me? I really don't understand any of it! I only have complicated charts. It makes more sense in French....

And you don't want to read it. It's just a quick version of Schneewitchen. xD
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:48 pm
Sam says...

Sure! If it's a female thing possessing, it's ihr(e, en, em), and if it's male, it's sein(e, en, em). With sie/Sie, it's ihn/Ihn.

Uns = our
Euer = their

And then with dativ pronomen, it's:

Masculine / Neutrung = ihm
Feminine = ihr
Formal, Plural = Ihn, ihn

I'd have to look up the us/their, but that's pretty much it.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron