z

Young Writers Society

Shakesphere!

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:30 pm
DragonWriter says...

Can someone plase help with understanding the play of romeo and juliet. I am totally bambusled! (is that a word?)
Twilight rocks!
New Moon rules!
Eclispe kicks butt!
In coclusion, Steaphine Meyer is a rocking, ruling, and kick butt authour!
That is the TRUTH!

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:54 pm
Krupp says...

What are you trying to understand, exactly?
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:30 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Tybalt rocks. That is all you need to know. ;) Seriously, though, how can I help? I'm not exactly an expert but I do have a deep and abiding love for the Bard.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:38 pm
Swires says...

I love Shakespeare, I have both performed and studied a number of his plays. I saw Romeo and Juliet a few weeks ago at the New Vic Theatre in Staffordshire, it was great. However if you are having trouble with the understanding of the text go and see a production of it, or if you cannot rent out the films:

(Zeffirelli)Romeo and Juliet

(Baz Luhrmann) William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

Read the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_and_Juliet

Read Sparknotes: http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/romeojuliet/

Or ask more specific questions about the play here and I'll answer any questions.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Random avatar

Reviews: 38
Wed May 28, 2008 10:48 pm
Squishy says...

Yes, I too went through shakesphere hell in 8th grade. what i did was read a paragraph, and then translate on a separate sheet of paper. read, translate, read, translate. That should help you.

or...

read it outloud to yourself (with voice changes)

or...

if that doesn't work and all else fails, go read your play, and then go to (god forbid I say it) SparkNotes and decifer it all.

Reviews: 1
Fri May 30, 2008 12:12 am
Ianthe says...

Our class just finished Romeo and Juliet a few months ago and I understood it pretty well. What's confuzzling you?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:35 pm
StellaThomas says...

Ah, Romeo and Juliet.

All you have to remember is that Romeo is a wuss and Mercutio was awesome. A plague on both your houses, I say!

But what do you mean, you don't understand it?
*checks date on post*

Never mind. But still, I did this play last year, did Merchant of Venice this year, I do Othello next year, and then I do Hamlet and Macbeth, I think. Maybe it's just one or the other. But still. I like Shakespeare. He's funny, once you get past the language. Don't listen to people saying that he was famous for the beauty of his language -although it was pretty cool. He was famous for the quality of his bawdy jokes. :D Seriously, though. Theatre was in the lowest -and funnest- forms of entertainment, that's why the Globe was built on the brothel and bear baiting side of the Thames.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Reviews: 0
Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:05 pm
Elucubrater says...

I second what Squishy said. Get a copy with annotations at the bottom (or in the margins if that's what you're into) and just be dedicated to reading and understanding it. I recommend learning about Elizabethan England if you want to understand all of the references, but that's just me.

The first couple of pages are always hard. Stick with it; he was a genius.
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.

William Shakespeare

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:37 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I second what everyone above said. Also, read it aloud; the best is to get a few friends or family members to read it aloud with you. Shakespeare after all was meant to be heard.

:D

There is a useful study guide for the play here: http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/love-in-the-arts/romeo.html

Good luck,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:11 am
writeholic says...

Read Sparknotes.com 's version it saves your life every time.
"You start thinking anything is possible if you have enough nerve"- J.K Rowling

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:04 pm
Sohini says...

Romeo=Edward Cullen (minus the charm and perfection and the -th ending words)

Juliet= Bella (minus the clumsiness)

Clear now?
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Reviews: 4
Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:23 am
dreaming_in_poetry says...

Romeo and Juliet is a beautiful play, but can be interpretted in many different ways.
Personally, it is one of my favorite works ever (I've read it about twenty times) but not because of the whole "beautiful romance" ideas. I, and quite a few others, interpret Romeo and Juliet's tragic ending as a kind of way to mock the serious manner of the naive Juliet and the foolish Romeo.

Juliet is only 14 and believes that she has met the only love that she will ever have. Romeo, who for the majority of Act 1 is in love with another woman. The moment she declares that she wants to be a nun, he vows he shall never love again, yet claims that his soul is slave to 14 year old child the moment he lays eyes upon her. They know nothing about one another but their names, and yet they claim to be in love. They are married before they've known each other 48 hours. They are both impatient fools that can't even be bothered to make sure that their own plans work out.

However, I find that this view is hard to convey successfully without going deep into the story...

If you still need help with Romeo and Juliet or have problems with Macbeth, feel free to PM me.

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:43 pm
weekend_warrior says...

Its been a long time since I've read Romeo and Juliet, so take that into consideration.

I personally viewed Romeo ancd Juliet as both a tragedy and a social cartoon of eurpoean society at the time, almost Don Quixote style.
At the time, the mentality of 'death before dishonor' was prevalant in europe. William Shakespere makes the point that family feuds and duels between gentlemen on matters of honor were, for lack of a better term, stupid. For one, europe had to deal with the occassional plague every now and then, and life expectancy was much shorter, making the idea of killing a person over an insult even more pointless.
While Romeo and Juliet is by far darker than Don Quixote, I think William Shakespere was making some social commentary in addition to writing great drama.
James
Soldier, Student

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:05 pm
Choose The Right says...

what helps me is to stand up and read the dialogue out loud while pacing forward. Whenever there is any sort of punctuation, I stop and change the direction that I was walking. It sounds weird, but it helps to better understand what the character was saying or feeling. :D

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:26 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

If you want to impress your teacher, tell her the play is based off of the Classical myth of Pyramus and Thisbe.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe