z

Young Writers Society

Public Speaking

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:39 am
Alainna says...

It's the time of the year where I have to do my public speaking. I'm normally fine with this, but due to exam worries I'm struggling to come up with any ideas.

So, great citizens of YWS, I put it to you to help me come up with a topic I can discuss, research and talk about for 3 minutes. Something that isn't stereotypical would be great.
I don't want facts or anything, just topics. Food for thought.

My past topics included:
Vegetarianism
Witchcraft
Contraception

I'm thinking of doing 'Is reading a lost art?' but still very unsure and need your help.

Thanks,
Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:02 am
chocoholic says...

Is Reading a lost art? I like it!

I once did 'Do Ghosts exist?' Don't know if that will be alright. I can tell you what I said. It wasn't really a speech, it was debate, and I was arguing that they did. But you could always twist it a bit.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:25 pm
Krupp says...

I need a topic for a speech as well. I'm thinking of doing a band I really like...but all in all good luck with that...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:12 pm
Aedomir says...

I'm thinking of doing 'Is reading a lost art?' but still very unsure and need your help.

I would say 'Is writing a lost art?', because far less people write than read. People of society today believe it is 'geeky' and 'sad' to write, so I love your idea. I would say it is more creative to write than to read, like it is to make art than see it.

Good luck,
Mark
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:16 pm
Azila says...

Alianna wrote:My past topics included:
Vegetarianism
Witchcraft
Contraception
Are you vegetarian?

Hmm... "is reading a lost art" sounds very cool. You could also talk about writing with that--two in one.

Or animal/pet cruelty. That's a worthy topic that needs more publicity. A lot of people seem to think that because OUR race has serious problems, we shouldn't focus on the serious problems of other races...

~Azila~

410 Reviews

Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:34 pm
Alainna says...

Azila wrote:
Alianna wrote:My past topics included:
Vegetarianism
Witchcraft
Contraception
Are you vegetarian?

Hmm... "is reading a lost art" sounds very cool. You could also talk about writing with that--two in one.

Or animal/pet cruelty. That's a worthy topic that needs more publicity. A lot of people seem to think that because OUR race has serious problems, we shouldn't focus on the serious problems of other races...

~Azila~

Yes, I am a vegetarian.

Animal Cruelty is nearly always done by at least four other people. So is Abortion, Capital Punishment, Euthanasia, Footballers pay and some other things.

Thanks for the input guys.

Help!!!!!!!! I may just go with the whole reading and writing thing....

Alainna
xxx

Got YWS?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:34 pm
Aedomir says...

I agree Azila. Here are a few more ideas:

Should we allow abortions?
Do terrorists deserve human rights?
Should we allow animal testing?
Should we do more about global warming?
Are video games a new form of corruption?
Should we allow fox-hunting?

Is that what you mean? Sorry if I slipped in a couple of obvious ones there. If I get anymore ideas I'll let ya know.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:03 pm
Azila says...

Alianna wrote:Yes, I am a vegetarian.

Animal Cruelty is nearly always done by at least four other people. So is Abortion, Capital Punishment, Euthanasia, Footballers pay and some other things.
Yayness! I am too. *toasts to vegetarians*

Oh, and I didn't realize about the animal cruelty thing... I guess that's good that it's a popular topic! Hmm... Aedomir pointed out some good ones. Let's see:

Seal hunting (for fur)
Oil drilling
Cancer/research
Darfur
Child Sponsorships

...most of those things are in the For the Cause usergroup... you might want to check it out. :wink:

~Azila~

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:34 pm
Cade says...

Can your topic be about absolutely anything?

If you decide to do "Is reading a lost art?" send me a PM because I just did a nine-page research paper on a similar subject and I'd be glad to share some of my sources with you.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:10 am
ina says...

This one might spark some controversy, but perhaps evolution vs. creationism?
"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

410 Reviews

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:27 am
Alainna says...

Cade wrote:Can your topic be about absolutely anything?

If you decide to do "Is reading a lost art?" send me a PM because I just did a nine-page research paper on a similar subject and I'd be glad to share some of my sources with you.

More or less anything.

Oooh, that would be great. Thank you. I'll pm you when I'm certain that I am doing that.

Thanks for all the help guys!

xxx

Got YWS?

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:33 am
Jamie_rocks says...

I personally think you can't go wrong with food. I had to do a report to convine people to eat chocolate. It's the easiest topic I've ever had.
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:22 am
chocoholic says...

Oh! I just thought of another one!

What about the 2020 summit? I don't know a huge amount about it, but it's in the newspapers all the time and it's becoming a very big topic.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

410 Reviews

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:46 am
Alainna says...

Thanks guys for all the ideas - I actually have already done my public speaking (Is reading a lost art?) and I got an A*!

xxxx

Got YWS?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:04 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Alainna wrote:Thanks guys for all the ideas - I actually have already done my public speaking (Is reading a lost art?) and I got an A*!

xxxx

Well done!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates