Young Writers Society

Bleh...Math

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:52 am
Wolf says...

Snoink, I need you now!
*clutches chest and staggers around*
I'm not even going to say what percentage I got in Math this semester..but suffice to say that it was completely abysmal.

Anyways. Umm...I know I learnt Cross Multiplying in 4th grade or something, but I can't...seem to remember it...heh heh. So yeah. I majorly need to get help with Cross multiplication, else I fail the upcoming Math mini-exam.

:smt100 :smt099 :smt088
Please? *is meek*
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:27 am
Leja says...

I can help ^_^

Let's say you had 2/4=x/8. When you cross multiply in this example, you'd multiply the two and the eight and set it equal to the 4 multiplied by the x:

2*8=x*4

or

16=4x

where you'd then solve for x and come up with four. (see scribble below for a better representation)

Now you might have something different than x. Maybe you have 2x+2, in which case you'd do the same thing if the equation is 2/4=(2x+2)/8. You'd multiply the top of one by the bottom of the other and set it equal to the bottom of one by the top of the other:

2*8=4*(2x+2)

which simplifies to:

16=8x+8

8=8x

and finally

x=1

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:48 am
Snoink says...

I have NO idea what kind of depth your math teacher goes into, but I wrote up something for you that we teach the undergrads here, so yay? Basically, it's how to set up a proportion (you might know this already) and then how to solve it algebraically and THEN how to cross multiply. Because, once again, I have no idea how your teacher wants you to do problems. :P

Here we go again...
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (103.52 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 am
Snoink says...

Because we love unit conversions!
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (99.05 KiB) Viewed 1283 times

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:51 am
Snoink says...

And remember, opposites are stuck together, just like a magnet, but the two guys who are like each other want to be near each other... sort of. That's why the cm is across from the cm. :)
Attachments
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg (117.37 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:52 am
Snoink says...

Solving it algebraically. :P

And yeah, I know some people who can't understand cross multiplication but can do algebra quite fine, so I'm showing you these both ways, just to cover all bases. Too much knowledge is never a bad thing, right! :D
Attachments
Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg (86.84 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:55 am
Snoink says...

And yes, PLEASE notice the equal sign in between them. I've found CALCULUS students, for goodness sakes, decide that they were going to do cross-multiplication without the equal sign in there, and it doesn't work. At all.

If you don't see an equal sign in between them, then treat it as normal multiplication. DO NOT cross multiply! :P
Attachments
Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg (125.67 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:56 am
Snoink says...

And then... the magic.

I find that colors can sometimes make things apparent to me, so hopefully it's that way for you too. Sometimes, black and white doesn't work. So I put green and blue in, to imply what gets multiplied. Hopefully, it makes sense...?
Attachments
Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-6.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Last edited by Snoink on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:57 am
Snoink says...

Solving it:
Attachments
Untitled-7.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:11 am
Twit says...

Oh golly, that looks so complicated! I never did anything like that... is it an American "thing"? *is very very hopeful*

Hope your grade goes well, Elfie!
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:38 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, I've never even heard of cross multiplication, nor have I ever seen anything like that. I'm guessing, like Twitters, that it's an American thing.

*Strides [s]ignorantly[/s] confidently onwards*
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:45 pm
Rydia says...

I've done it before. Apparently you only need it in England if you take maths and further maths at A level and then you spend a lesson or two on it and start applying it to partial fractions and other fun areas of maths.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:39 am
Minniax says...

I'm an American and the two schools I went to NEVER taught that!
Confusing! =]
Currently reading: The Dead Zone by Stephen King

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:09 am
Wolf says...

Wow, thanks you guys!
I really appreciate it! I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing now. ^_^
And Snoink, you saved my life. I shudder to think what my parents would do if I failed another test...*shudders*
Anyways, muchos gracias (that how you spell it? Lol) for the time and brain power you put into helping me!
Thanks again,
Ayra :D
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:26 am
View Likes
Gwenevire says...

Wow... I haven't learnt that yet. My school is for dummies. I feel stupid :cry:

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy