Young Writers Society

Ionic Equasions

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:18 am
View Likes
tinny says...

One thing in chemistry I've never been able to get my head around is ionic equasions, I don't see how they work. I mean, I'm told to only use the ions involved in the reactions and leave out spectator ions, but how do I tell which is which?

I know that they're similar to half-equasions in REDOX reactions, but I'm not sure if I fully understand them either XD

If anyone could explain it to me in simple terms it would be greatly appreciated.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:16 pm
Emerson says...

ionic equations...?

I don't think I've done these. Yet. Possibly. XD Could I be given an example? Because I might actually know what you are talking about... not know it.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:23 pm
tinny says...

I was meant to have done them last year, and the year before and hadn't a clue either time, goodness knows how I did so well in my exam XD

The question I was given that made me realise I didn't know was 'Work out the ionic equasion for the complete neutralisation of sulphuric acid by potassium hydroxide.'

An example? There's one in my revision guide, but it's not explained -___-"

That was

Cr2O72- + H+ + e- ----> Cr3+ + H2O

But there wasn't a full equasion for me to compare it to, so it made no sense to me XD
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller