z

Young Writers Society

Algebra Help--Age Word Problems

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:05 pm
Cassandra says...

Because I know you all want to help the poor little Algebra 1 student who missed class on Friday and has a quiz tomorrow. *smiles sweetly*

Okey-dokey. Problem one:

A man is now 6 times as old as his son. In 6 years, the father will be 3 times as old as the son will be then. Find their present ages.

^ I know for a fact that no one can be -12/7 years old. So. Any suggestions?

Number 2:

Marie is one-ninth as old as her mother. In 3 years, she will be one-fifth as old as her mother will be then. Find their present ages.

^ Last I checked, people can't have a negative age. But that's what I came out with. O.o

Thanks for taking a look, guys. *dies*
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:38 pm
Trident says...

Cass, hope I can help you with these...

Problem one:

x = father's age, y = son's age

equation one
x = 6y the father's age is six times the sons age

equation two
x + 6 = 3(y + 6) the father's age plus six years is three times the son's age in six years

x + 6 = 3y + 18 the 3 is factored in

x = 3y + 12 subtract six from both sides

combined equations

6y = 3y + 12 now that we know what both x's equal, we can combine to two y equations through substitution

3y = 12 subtract 3y from both sides

y = 4 divide both sides by three... now that we have the age of the son, substitute that back into equation one to find x, or the father's age

first equation

x = 6y or x = 6(4); x = 24

Your ages are 4 and 24.

Problem two:

x = mother's age
y = Marie's age

first equation

(1/9)x = y Marie's age is one-ninth of her mother's age

second equation

(1/5) * (x + 3) = y + 3 ok, the mother's age in three years (y + 3) equal to one fifth (1/5) of Marie's age in three years (x + 3)

It may be easier to get rid of the fractions at this point:

first equation

x = 9y multiply by nine on both sides

second equation

x + 3 = 5(y + 3) multiply by five on both sides

x + 3 = 5y + 15 factor in the 5

x = 5y + 12 subtract three from both sides

Again now that we have the two x's, we can substitute

combined equation
9y = 5y + 12

4y = 12 subtract 5y from both sides

y = 3 divide by four on both sides... now that we have y, or Marie's age, we can substitute it back into the first equation to find x

first equation

x = 9y or x = 9(3); x = 27

So Marie is 3 (y = 3) and her mother is 27 (x = 27).

If you have a question on any of this, feel free to PM me, or just post your questions here. ;) Hope that helps!
Perception is everything.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:27 pm
View Likes
Cassandra says...

Wow! *is blown away* Thanks so much for the help! I'll let you know if I think of any questions, but for now, I'm all set. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold