z

Young Writers Society

Algebra 3 Word Problems: Path of a Projectile

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:32 am
Teague says...

Okay, so I'm a total numbskull and I left my book at school, but I'm seriously having issues with word problems and paths of projectiles. For the word problems I have issues putting all the words into numbers and variables, and for projectiles I have no idea what the formula h=-16t^2+Vo means.

Anyone have any idea what I'm on about and can explain these things in layman's terms for me?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:41 am
Teufelshund says...

I'm not very good with mathematics and I haven't come across this formula yet, but I think V=velocity, t=time, h=height. That's what those variables have represented in my former classes.
Good luck :wink:
Last edited by Teufelshund on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:47 am
Max McKali says...

h=-16t^2+Vo

quadratic, right?

y=ax^2+bx+c

y=h
t=x

Vo is the original velocity, i believe. since the 16t is a NEGATIVE, the parabola should open downward, meaning the parabola will have a maximum. to find the maximum use the equation:

x=-b/2a

do you have a number substitute for Vo??
"All for one and one for all- that is our motto, is it not?"

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:02 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

What you have there is a basic height equation, I do believe.

h is the height of the object at any given time t, for what velocity Vo, is given. Now, what are the problems you have? Any in particuliar you can't figure out?

And Max is right; if you graph this the parabola will open downwards becuase this is height. Granted, you can have negative heights, but that's just messy, so we assume the height is positive! Becuase I'm a geek and I can, I'll draw a quick graph, ok? So, that's what the equation tells you, from time (t on the horizontal) 0 - the end time. The max point (t, h) gives the time at which the object achieves maximum height.

Now that I've prolly just confused you to death, any questions?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:12 am
View Likes
Doctor Kitty says...

There's Algebra III? When did this happen?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:20 am
Emerson says...

Yeah, I have no Algebra III! I'm in II now, and then I'm taking Pre Calc/Trig...
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:38 am
View Likes
Incandescence says...

Hi Razorblade,

I have attached some notes I am working on for an Advanced Algebra II class. In section 1.4, you will find a detailed example of how to solve a physics problem dealing with a similar problem.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Best,
Brad
Attachments
Understanding Algebra II.pdf
hope this helps
(135.11 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:34 am
View Likes
Teague says...

Heh... I think I understand now. We went over the assignment in excruciating detail too.
Thanks everyone.
MisterWaffles wrote:There's Algebra III? When did this happen?

Well, where I live there's 6 levels of algebra. The odd levels are the first half of the semester, and the even levels are the second half of the semester.

For example, right now I'm taking Algebra III. In January, I'll be taking Algebra IV. Same teacher, same class, same everything. Just a different number.

So Algebra II is basically what I'm in. It's the same thing for Language Arts, Social Studies, and Spanish, and it's only for the courses with repeating subjects but advancing levels.

Edit: Oh and Brad, thanks for the notes but my computer won't download them for some bizarre reason.

The emperor is rich, but he can't buy another day.
— Chinese Proverb