z

Young Writers Society

Can I split a short story in two halves?

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:49 am
breakingb4d says...

Hello, I had a query about writing a short story. For my English Language coursework, we have been set a task to write a piece of creative writing of our choice. The word limit is 1000 words maximum. I would like to write a romantic fiction short story about a couple with a twist at the end.

My query is, that I would like to split the story into two halves. The first half would be from the girl's point of view, and the second half would be from the boy's point of view. The idea is, both parts would be describing the same scenario but the language and interpretations of the two characters would be different because they have conflicting views on what is happening. Will this still be classed as a short story as it is split into two parts or not?

Please help ASAP!

Thanks

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:53 pm
Rosendorn says...

You can do whatever you want in a piece of writing. You're only limited by what you can pull off. (Footnotes within footnotes, for example)

Short stories are classified by length. So having it in two parts would be just fine.

I actually really like the idea of having the same event described twice. I tend to recommend that for voice building, so you can make a more diverse cast of characters. Good luck!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:35 pm
OliveDreams says...

I think this is a great idea! What better way that exploring a certain event in a ridiculous amount of detail?

It's needs to be cleverly done, however, and not rushed! I would suggest that this may be an easier task when the scene has a lot of action in it? You could even try flicking between the two POV's more than once throughout.

The only example I can think of when this has happened in what I've read is in the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. It may be worth reading this for a little research? If you have the time of course :)

I will try & think of where else I've seen it done & get back to you...

Good luck!
Olive <3
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:50 pm
Tenyo says...

Aye, what they said.

When you're done, can you post it on YWS? Pretty pleeaase. I'd love to read it!
We were born to be amazing.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:16 pm
breakingb4d says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:You can do whatever you want in a piece of writing. You're only limited by what you can pull off. (Footnotes within footnotes, for example)

Short stories are classified by length. So having it in two parts would be just fine.

I actually really like the idea of having the same event described twice. I tend to recommend that for voice building, so you can make a more diverse cast of characters. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice Rosey! It really helped a lot :)

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:19 pm
breakingb4d says...

OliveDreams wrote:I think this is a great idea! What better way that exploring a certain event in a ridiculous amount of detail?

It's needs to be cleverly done, however, and not rushed! I would suggest that this may be an easier task when the scene has a lot of action in it? You could even try flicking between the two POV's more than once throughout.

The only example I can think of when this has happened in what I've read is in the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. It may be worth reading this for a little research? If you have the time of course :)

I will try & think of where else I've seen it done & get back to you...

Good luck!
Olive <3

Hi Olive!

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement, earlier I decided to do exactly that and now my story alternates between the two POV's, instead of being separated in two halves! Yeas I am familiar with the book :)

<3

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:20 pm
breakingb4d says...

Tenyo wrote:Aye, what they said.

When you're done, can you post it on YWS? Pretty pleeaase. I'd love to read it!

Hi Tenyo!

Yes of course, when I am finished with the story I will surely post it on here! :)

I cannot separate the aesthetic pleasure of seeing a butterfly and the scientific pleasure of knowing what it is.
— Vladmir Nabokov