z

Young Writers Society

Quick Question...

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:15 pm
Rurouni says...

Alright, so I have my book I am writing, called One of A Kind... Yadda yada yadda and anyways, the main character Kat, is a very un-romancy, un-huggable, person who really doesn't like romance at all but kind of gets sucked into it.

So what I planned having happen would be that this other character kisses her while he's err. 'Bleeding out' because he got shot protecting her. But the thing is, I dunno if that's how he should bring her into the romance world. And we all know about that thing called writer's block so um....

Halp? >.<
Cookies!

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 pm
Clarity says...

I say you build up a romance between them, but have Kat keep denying it to herself. Then make her get all worried for him and tada. XD

I'm not very good with romance... but it's something.
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:21 pm
Gardevite says...

There's a romance writing workshop coming up! Maybe that could help?
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

160 Reviews

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:39 pm
Rurouni says...

Kat does try and deny things and she's not very merciful. She's killed people and I was working on having them build up to it. Are there any tips that could help with this idea?
Cookies!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:20 am
Rosendorn says...

Okay some issues I have with this scene:

1- Where did he get shot, exactly? This determines how fast he'll bleed out.
2- What did he get shot with?
3- What prevented the would-be killer from getting another shot out to finish the job?
4- Why in the world is she not trying to bind his wounds and slow the bleeding out process down so she could potentially save him?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 am
Snoink says...

I would have him try to kiss her and then fail.. like, he is not physically able to kiss her. That way, Kat can be conflicted about simultaneously not wanting the kiss, yet feeling torn because he's just been shot trying to protect her, and she kind of wants to do at least one nice thing to him, since maybe he'll die next.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:50 am
spinelli says...

Just follow your heeeeaaaartttt!

No, but like, really, you know your characters best. You need to think about the motivations behind the actions of your characters in that scene. Think about what their objectives are, how they think about things, how they perceive their surroundings and situations, and then think about where you want that to take the story. Why do you think that might be a good way to introduce a romance? Any reason? Or just 'cause it's kinda cute and dramatic? These are all things only you can consider.

And second, why do you think Kat pushes away romance? That will let you know how exactly she's going to respond and for how long.

Follow your dreeaaaammmmsss!!!!

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:59 am
lakegirls says...

This is kind of a random writing question but if two people are holding hands is it necessary to say they stopped holding hands or can I just let readers assume?
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:33 am
Holysocks says...

lakegirls wrote:This is kind of a random writing question but if two people are holding hands is it necessary to say they stopped holding hands or can I just let readers assume?

@lakegirls, I myself dislike it greatly when the writer has the characters doing one thing, and without saying they're done, they do something that wouldn't be that posible while doing the other thing...

So, say they're holding hands, like you said ( I'm going to play this out, because it makes more sense that way, to me );

Camron took my hand, he smiled asking, "are you OK?"
I nodded, looking into his eyes.
He sighed and wound his arms around my waist.

To me, I like it alot better when the writer puts; letting go of my hand, he wound his arms around my waist.

Not sure if that's just me...

Anyway, @ShadowWings... I think you should have the guy kiss her/try to kiss her, and then die. Then Kat will wonder, maybe, about love, and stuff.
100% autistic

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:00 am
lakegirls says...

This definitely helps! I get what you're saying, it would bug me too! Thanks for the help :)
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

160 Reviews

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 am
Rurouni says...

Well he doesn't die, @Holysocks. He lives, he's just shot.
Cookies!

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:07 am
Holysocks says...

I know, I was saying that it would be good if you killed him off - that's just my oppinion.
100% autistic

Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria