Young Writers Society

Publishing

662 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 662
Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:49 am
View Likes
Messenger says...

Ok, so I am 15, am writing books and wrapping one up. I know I probably couldn't get published in book form, and I know there are things such as Amazon self publish and all that. I want to know how much it costs, and does someone have to approve it before I can publish it on Amazon. Also, how much can I make off of it, and how much does it cost?

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:56 am
View Likes
Cheetah says...

@Empress :)
And passersby who heard his echoing laughter wondered what kind of grief man had to go through before he could laugh so free.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:11 pm
Joe says...

I don't know it's not impossible.
I've got my short stories published in a real book with paper and all.
I'd ask around before giving up. You might want to get the Writers Market Then you get to see how many publishers there actually are. You can also pick one up at the local library most likely. Try for local publishing if there's a publisher near you. Don't pay companies to publish your book that's most often a scam
http://www.writersdigestshop.com/2014-w ... tion-group
Hope this was helpful

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:32 pm
Gardevite says...

Why not check the websites? Amazon, Creatspace, Lulu etc. All self publishing platforms. You could also bring out your novel in e-book. On Amazon, it's free but they take about 70% of the earnings.

Also, have you queried agents or publishing houses? Yes, you're young, but agents and houses usually look for one specific thing. A good story, you don't even have to bother telling them your age, they more than likely don't care. I'm not saying that some agents or houses will not dismiss you because of your age, because they could, but they have to like your story to care about you. Unless you're like world famous.
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

662 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:37 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

@Joe I hasn't saying it was impossible, but I guess I am not wanting to get crazily excited about something that may not happen.

@HighTop, I am looking into Amazon self-publishing at the moment, and have looked at some other stuff. Do any of you know how many people would read my stuff on Amazon?

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:44 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Smashwords is pretty good when it comes to free self-publishing online. I have checked quite a few of those sites a while back, and decided I'd go with this one if I ever stop pursuing my dreams of publishing my novels in proper book format.

But really, don't give up on traditional publishing! It's quite possible to publish a book, it just takes effort and patience ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:30 pm
Empress says...

Hiya!

First off, only use CreateSpace and KDP - Smashwords and Lulu etc aren't on the same league.

With Amazon, you can either publish it at no cost whatsoever, or select one of their packages - I chose the best one and got them to make me a front cover, design my interior, write me promotional material, write a professional review, convert it to Kindle, register it with the Library of Congress, and sell it to US bookstores and libraries. All that cost £1000, but again, you can do it completely for free with the really user-friendly software they have to create your own front cover, and turning your word doc into a pdf :)

Now, the main difference between traditional and indie publishing is that traditional publishing houses have very large marketing budgets. However, you can also market your book very, very successfully as an independent author using all the social media platforms, a free blog or website, free reviewing services, local newspapers, indie author networks etc etc. I would recommend indie publishing because it is so fast, you have COMPLETE CONTROL OVER EVERYTHING, and the royalties are soooooo much better - from a traditional you'd most likely get between 10% and 15% of your sales, but indie authors get 70% with Amazon!

So how much will you make?
Depends on your marketing.
You won't make your money off the paperback, you'll make it off the Kindle - my paperback has been out for nine days and I've sold 35 and only made £10, but my Kindle version only came out this morning and I've already made £30!
Basically, if you're semi-successful, selling around 2,500 units per year, you could make about £5000. If you're wanting to make a salary of £30,000 per year you'd have to sell around 10,000 - 15,000 units per year (which is really good). If you want to join success stories such as Hugh Howey and E.L James and sell a million units a year, then you can make £millions!!!

So potentially, your looking at no cost and big bucks!

Feel free to ask any more questions :D

21 Reviews

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:33 pm
Empress says...

HighTop wrote:Why not check the websites? Amazon, Creatspace, Lulu etc. All self publishing platforms. You could also bring out your novel in e-book. On Amazon, it's free but they take about 70% of the earnings.

Also, have you queried agents or publishing houses? Yes, you're young, but agents and houses usually look for one specific thing. A good story, you don't even have to bother telling them your age, they more than likely don't care. I'm not saying that some agents or houses will not dismiss you because of your age, because they could, but they have to like your story to care about you. Unless you're like world famous.

With Amazon, you GET a 70% royalty, haha not the other way around!
And don't go with traditional!!! You don't want to place all your hopes and dreams in the hand of one of these 'readers' who are looking for one thing... CASH. And they won't publish you if you're 15. Fact. Plus, they take months and months and months to reply. I know from experience.

See my previous message about self-publishing.

21 Reviews

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34 pm
Empress says...

TheMessenger wrote:@Joe I hasn't saying it was impossible, but I guess I am not wanting to get crazily excited about something that may not happen.

@HighTop, I am looking into Amazon self-publishing at the moment, and have looked at some other stuff. Do any of you know how many people would read my stuff on Amazon?

How many will read your book? If you market it well... thousands.

110 Reviews

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 pm
View Likes
Gardevite says...

@Empress I'm glad to hear your book is doing well ^_^ My (Sci-fy nut) sister is getting an ereader for Christmas, and EF is on her list.

I'd just like to point out a few things as regards to traditional publishing. As empress said, the companies are there to get money. Of course they are! It's a business. Also, considering your age, the type if book you're writing counts! The youngest traditionally published author in America is 12 years old (well he was at the time) He wrote a children's book. I guess you can see what I'm saying.
Also, it takes so long for agents and publishing houses to get through all their unsolicited queries because they're just that! Unsolicited. The house/agent gets tonnes of manuscripts, so it may take longer.

I wouldn't completely bash traditional methods, but of course self publishing is just as good! But more work.
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm
Rosendorn says...

The thing about self publishing is, you have to be absolutely sure you don't want to publish it traditionally. Once it's self published it is impossible to publish traditionally, because first rights are given away.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

21 Reviews

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 am
Empress says...

HighTop wrote:@Empress I'm glad to hear your book is doing well ^_^ My (Sci-fy nut) sister is getting an ereader for Christmas, and EF is on her list.

I'd just like to point out a few things as regards to traditional publishing. As empress said, the companies are there to get money. Of course they are! It's a business. Also, considering your age, the type if book you're writing counts! The youngest traditionally published author in America is 12 years old (well he was at the time) He wrote a children's book. I guess you can see what I'm saying.
Also, it takes so long for agents and publishing houses to get through all their unsolicited queries because they're just that! Unsolicited. The house/agent gets tonnes of manuscripts, so it may take longer.

I wouldn't completely bash traditional methods, but of course self publishing is just as good! But more work.

Wow thank you! That's so humbling :D
And I agree. Publishers won't look at you until you have an agent, and to get an agent you have to get through their reader, and so it's all very subjective and dependent upon that person's preferences. And of course, they are a business. The timescale is very, very long though. Don't get me wrong, I did try to break into the traditional publishing market first but after several months decided it wasn't the right path for me at this time. Plus, if you build a fan base and recognition with an independently published book first, traditional publishers are far more likely to work with you in the future as you will have an established 'platform'.

And I would actually argue that it is less work. Or at least far more rewarding work! :D
That moment when you first hold a physical copy of your book, your own perfect creation, is just utterly moving and unforgettable.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:16 am
Rosendorn says...

Publishers won't look at you until you have an agent

Not necessarily. If you look at individual publishing houses, they do not all require agent representation. Doing your research is important in that regard.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

662 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:46 am
Messenger says...

So you are all saying that it would be wisest to self-publish at first until I get a fan-base, and then start looking for traditional publishing.

110 Reviews

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:53 pm
Gardevite says...

Not necessarily. I'd suggest at least submitting it to some places, because you never know. Plus it's, as empress said, a long process. You're 15 now, but if a traditional publisher accepts your book, it could be a lllooonnngggg time before it actually hits shelves.

Well, on independently publishing to build a fan base, you could get tonnes of fans and people who want to read your future books, which could make it easier to get traditionally published in the future. Heck! A publisher might sign a deal with you to publish your independently published book with them. But keep in mind that it's a two way street. If your book flops, for example, traditional publishers might not accept you in the future because they gather that you're not a marketable writer. (Due to the failure of your self published book. Remember, it's a business!

Social media, writing sites, magazine/literary journal publishing are some other ways to build a platform, if that's what you're after.
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

I was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.
— Edgar Allan Poe