z

Young Writers Society

How to write a afterword

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:51 am
rainbowbubble says...

Hey I'm thinking about writing my own Afterword for 'Life Of Galileo' by Bertolt Bretcht. But I had to ask: can someone other than the author write an afterword? And how is it structured? :)
Thanks in advance!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:15 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It sounds like what you're trying to do is write an addition to the end, based on how you feel the story continued, right?

This is what's known as fanfiction.

It's (usually) legal, but you cannot use it for profit. Anything you write that adds, changes, or branches from an already produced work of fiction (video games, tv shows, poems, movies, comic books, novels, ect) is known as fanfiction.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:00 am
rainbowbubble says...

I'm not writing a fanfiction, its more as me imagining that I'm someone important and commenting on the themes and ideas behind the play and the author and his inspirations. Something that can be added at the end of the play to help reinforce the key themes behind it.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 pm
Rosendorn says...

That is a theoretical review of the piece itself, and is a form of essay. So follow the thesis+body+conclusion method. Thesis is what you think about the piece (make sure it is debatable and your own opinion), body is a bunch of rambling on how your opinion is right, taking quotes from the piece, and in the conclusion show us again how your opinion is right.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold