z

Young Writers Society

Need a way to research abilities

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:29 pm
JayBlu says...

I've already got a decent site for this, but I need more if anybody knows how to help me with this. These abilities I'm talking about are like powers in a sense I guess. But not you average flight or super strength type deal I need something more in depth. If you can help then that would be great, If not then thanks anyways for the consideration. Later

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:06 am
Rosendorn says...

So... you're looking for what is basically a catalogue of various superpowers?

This is the only site I know of. Is that sort of on the right track?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:58 pm
Tenyo says...

Never underestimate the power of brainstorming. Sure, a ready made catalogue is easier, but I find I usually feel a greater sense of achievement and love towards my characters when I think of their powers myself.

First of all, make a list of twenty super powers (no less. Dicipline is required.) That will flush all of the generic ones out of your brain so you've got some creativity space.

Then make more lists, but never finish a list because you run out of ideas. The trick is to push past that 'oh it won't work' barrier and into the realm of 'hey why not.'

You could come up with a bunch of places and powers that would only be practical there. For example; Hospital. You could have: the ability to detect pregnancies or birth complications, to detect illness, vital signs, to see when someone is going to die... e.c.t

If you want to avoid the generic ideas you take them out of the generic context. Remember though, you have to discipline yourself to finish a list of 10/15/20, because it's when you're struggling to reach the quota that you come up with the freshest ideas.
We were born to be amazing.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy