z

Young Writers Society

feelings and emotions

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:13 am
OrionX says...

I'm wondering if there's are any websites or lists of emotions and feelings that describe how a character is feeling, looking or saying something.

I caught myself often writing: ".. he said on a soft tone" and ".. she said on a harsh tone", while there are a lot more ways to say something. Or I often forget to describe emotions and facial expressions or I just can't find the right word to describe it. I think such lists, if they exist, can help me a bit.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:56 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Try this? Also this. And this.

Hope that helps.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:43 pm
OrionX says...

Of course, there's a book about how to write a book. :mrgreen:
Thank you, the lists will be of much help. I didn't know we had 8 basic emotions.

Yet I'm still unable to solve my issue. How do I describe the high intensity feeling of disgust in the following situation:

Guy breaks up with girlfriend. Girlfriend feels disgusted and alone. Guy puts his hand on her shoulder and tries to comfort her. "Don't touch me" she replies on a ..?.. tone as she hits his hand away.

It's not hostile or panicky. Would "she said with a loud voice" fit?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:25 pm
Rosendorn says...

Have you considered changing the end punctuation to an exclamation mark? If you have her pull away (saying she yanked her arm away before the dialogue), then had her say it with an exclamation mark, all tone would be conveyed without the use of a single adverb.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

“It doesn’t matter what you are, it only matters what you do. It’s your choice.”
— Sam Winchester